Diamond Emblem 1 Coroner's Inquest

Vaughan

BBC Look East has just done a segment on the enquiry.

They reported that a family member told the court :

If we had been shown the emergency stop button, she wouldn't have died.

That is all the BBC had to say, in the space of less than 30 seconds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

BBC Look East has just done a segment on the enquiry.

They reported that a family member told the court :

If we had been shown the emergency stop button, she wouldn't have died.

That is all the BBC had to say, in the space of less than 30 seconds.

Emergency stop button?  I don’t think I’ve seen one of them In over fifty years of visiting The Broads.  

• Like 2

It might be best for people not to speculate or debate this topic on this or other forums. We don't know the full facts, and can only speculate. Spare a thought for the families, and  all those involved in the aftermath of the event. Maybe wait until the full report from the coroner is made public.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

There is a big difference between speculation and simply posting what has been reported in the public domain, in the press or on TV news. I assume we are still allowed to do that here?

It is indeed a family tragedy but it is also something which could have a lasting and deleterious effect on the way we cruise on the Broads in future. I thought it only natural that a forum such as this should be concerned to follow the proceedings.  Perhaps it means more than average to me as I have been a boatyard owner and hire fleet operator.

All the same I would not like to strain the forum's sensibilities so I will shut up about it.

• Like 3

We are already seeing the first consequences of this incident with the enforced introduction of the British Marine QAB scheme as a condition of the Broads Authority hire operators licence.

Without the adoption of the QAB there was suggestion that all Broads cruiser hiring skippers would need to be qualified before taking a boat out.

• Like 2

I have to say that I do support the application of the forum tos in this case. The report by the bbc above is very unhelpful in that a perception by a shocked and grieving relative must be taken in the wider context and not published before all testimony and evidence is heard, considered and summed up by those in possession of as much information as can be garnered.

We only have to imagine ourselves for a moment as one of those involved to understand the feelings and perceptions that inform their comments.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

We are already seeing the first consequences of this incident with the enforced introduction of the British Marine QAB scheme as a condition of the Broads Authority hire operators licence.

Without the adoption of the QAB there was suggestion that all Broads cruiser hiring skippers would need to be qualified before taking a boat out.

What is QAB please?

I assume it's some form of Quality Assurance.

12 hours ago, Vaughan said:

There is a big difference between speculation and simply posting what has been reported in the public domain, in the press or on TV news. I assume we are still allowed to do that here?

It is indeed a family tragedy but it is also something which could have a lasting and deleterious effect on the way we cruise on the Broads in future. I thought it only natural that a forum such as this should be concerned to follow the proceedings.  Perhaps it means more than average to me as I have been a boatyard owner and hire fleet operator.

All the same I would not like to strain the forum's sensibilities so I will shut up about it.

I don't think the moderators are going to bother you for posting links to other reports Vaughan but as sure as eggs is eggs, past history shows that someone at some point would have been insensitive. Thanks for posting the original link. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What a sad story. The verdict feels right to me from the understanding of the facts. Having hired a boat with an identical stern from Ferry Marina last year, I think the design has flaws from a safety perspective but I still feel no-one is to blame for what happened. Ferry have indeed now added lights to show which helm has control but nobody can say if that would have made a difference. Nothing in life is risk-free and every so often there are reminders like this.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

What a sad story. The verdict feels right to me from the understanding of the facts. Having hired a boat with an identical stern from Ferry Marina last year, I think the design has flaws from a safety perspective but I still feel no-one is to blame for what happened. Ferry have indeed now added lights to show which helm has control but nobody can say if that would have made a difference. Nothing in life is risk-free and every so often there are reminders like this.

Your last sentence is bang on the money . Nothing is risk free ,.and if we spent too much time thinking about things , we wouldn't leave the house .

Wrong place.,.Wrong time is not a fact of law , but it is is in life . Sadly .

If it makes a few folk on here take  bit more care , then at least something has come from this tragedy.

• Like 7

Chatting to a bloke down the yard today who is going to add rails to the back of his boat - however his concern is that as you jump ashore so he might get the ropes more tangled than previously - he was talking about making  them so he could remove them but that to my mind, makes it flawed.  

I think whatever you do at the rear, there will always be issues. To my mind always try and work out what you are going to do , but be aware that the best laid plans etc etc  but above all, WEARING A LIFEJACKET is the No 1 priority!

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Broads01 said:

What a sad story. The verdict feels right to me from the understanding of the facts. Having hired a boat with an identical stern from Ferry Marina last year, I think the design has flaws from a safety perspective but I still feel no-one is to blame for what happened. 

I think it was the perfect storm of circumstances really.

Personally I think a dual steer should always have 'internal' access to the flybridge like on Aquafibre dual steers, Richardson's RF45 and the Alpha Highliners. Having to go via the stern steps has never struck me as very safe either for the people moving around or for the wellbeing of children, pets etc inside the boat.

• Like 12