Talktalk

Happy

BEWARE.  I had a landline call this morning, supposedly from talktalk.  Very convincing stating that my speed was slow and they needed to send me a new router - free of charge, which kept my interest.  I was logged into their site which was very official with talktalk logos etc.  It showed my current internet speed  and what the new speed would be.

He said the router would be delivered by Royal Mail and asked what actual time I would like delivery.  This made me slightly wary as I did not think Royal Mail delivered to an actual time slot.  He then said that whilst the router was free, I would have to pay £3 for the postage and asked for my card number.  Alarm bells sounded and I rung off.  He made 9 attempts to 'phone me back which I ignored.  He kept messaging me on the computer which I then turned off.  I spoke to talktalk and yes, it was a con.

Saved just in time, but be careful, he was so very convincing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

That may been the way a call I got a couple of days ago was going as I'm with talktalk,  the foreign voice got as far as saying they were my broadband provider when I answered "that's nice for you, p*ss off" and hung up.

They never called back though.

• Like 1

Smoggy.  This was a foreign voice and like you I normally have the same reaction as you!  However he mentioned talk talk before I had the chance and I got taken in.  The funny thing was that when I got hold of t/t to make sure it was a con all the people I spoke to sounded just the same.  :default_coat:

• Haha 2

Thank you Alan. There was something on the news the other night while I was burning the kids tea so didn't catch much of it but they were warning people about the amount of scams doing the rounds at the moment

How awful to con people in this way, be careful everyone x

• Like 1

Talk-Talk was my broadband provider back in the day when Baroness Dido Harding was in charge. Its customer database was hacked very badly then and I suffered the consequences in terms of spoof calls and scamming attempts for several years afterwards. I always remember the good Baroness being interviewed by the news media about the incident and she seemed to struggle to understand that hacking wasn't necessarily an equestrian activity.

• Haha 2

Gotta admit talktalk have been great for me, good speeds all the time and when they didn't renew at the deal I wanted I signed up to Vodafone and cancelled at last minute to get the deal I wanted plus a £130 bonus off my bill and 2 months free.

Think I'll be doing the same in autumn when the contract runs out again. 

Virgin on the other hand had got pathetically slow for hideous price, glad I escaped. 

Never plugged into the landline so scam calls are few and far between on the mobile.

• Like 1

I use TT, never had an issue & much like Smoggy got a cracking deal at the last re-contract.

However...

.....a friend of mine had their entire account deleted/assigned to someone else and they have been unable to get it back. The only plus was free Broadband for a month or two whilst they failed to sort it out: eventually it just cut off and she gave up n got a 5g home hub instead.