Balmy

NorfolkNog

23 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Dont worry Howard we will have a whip round for you and by 4 this afternoon you can put in an offer.

It's not the boat he wants the money for, it's his bar tab!

3 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Where's that Mr Smoggy sir if I may ask? 

Ale Taster, St.Neots.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Ferry boats everywhere this week. Wonder if they've had an offer on. Two moored up outside now :default_stinky:

They did indeed. I checked back and can confirm they are offering 20% off February and March breaks on their Facebook page. But the last time I looked they hadn't put this on their website which is becoming very outdated for information of offers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Can anyone lend me a few quid? I've said numerous times on here that Swan Royale was my favourite boat of all time. These 32 foot versions are as rare as hens teeth. Grrrr, lottery, lottery...          https://www.watersidemarinesales.co.uk/boat/alpha-32-cc-aboat-time/ 

Looks in nice condition, Howard. Perhaps we could set up a new syndicate you and me, you can use it in winter and I'll use it the rest of the year 😄

What makes the 32 better than the 35, do you think? I like the design also although I prefer the stern saloon variant rather than a central one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

Ferry boats everywhere this week. Wonder if they've had an offer on. Two moored up outside now :default_stinky:

Ferry have an offer on every week, it seems. I just wish they'd set their prices more realistically in the first place. I'm not a last minute bookings person, I prefer the certainty of booking well in advance (which explains why I've only hired from them once so far).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

What makes the 32 better than the 35, do you think?

I could wax lyrical at length Simon, downside is a slightly shorter keel which could make it less easy to steer but I never had a problem with Royale. You still get the generous forward berth but basically lose the middle cabin which is very cramped anyway. Good sized saloon and galley as the 35. I always felt that the 32 seemed to slot into spaces which the 35 would be a squeeze. They packed a lot of boat into 32 feet. There's only a handful on Craig's database. Swan Radiance is the best boat I've ever hired, Royale was my favourite if that makes sense. 

I think even if I put Mrs Nog on singles I'd struggle to find even 17.5k lovely thought though. In some ways hire boats are like grandchildren, you can just hand them back, no worries about repairs, tolls etc. But of course like anyone else I'd jump at the chance of ownership if circumstances allowed. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Ferry have an offer on every week, it seems. I just wish they'd set their prices more realistically in the first place. I'm not a last minute bookings person, I prefer the certainty of booking well in advance (which explains why I've only hired from them once so far).

Plus at the moment none of them would get through Ludham and I assume they won't let you go through Yarmouth so they basically up and down the Bure from Stokesby to Wroxham. No wonder they seem to be everywhere! 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Plus at the moment none of them would get through Ludham and I assume they won't let you go through Yarmouth so they basically up and down the Bure from Stokesby to Wroxham. No wonder they seem to be everywhere! 

I doubt if there’s anyone preventing people going through Yarmouth, it’s just that you’d be mad to try it with the river levels fluctuating as they have been over the past few months, what with the repeated storms, high winds and rain. 

• Like 5

I suspect you’re right Howard. We’ve definitely hired from somewhere out of season and been asked not to go beyond Stokesby.  I can’t remember whether it was Ferry Marina or Richardson’s. I don’t think they want hirers going down that far while the yacht station is closed. 

• Like 2

What is it with people like Ferry who think that the whole world is on Faceache? 

Even pubs are now dong this - the Stag in Salhouse doesn't have a website either. Whilst I appreciate that its an easy option, IMHO if you cannot be bothered to have a proper website, then you are only half a business. Quite a few people do not "do" Faceache and as a result you must be missing an opportunity? Surely I am not the only one to think like this?

Or am I just too old and grumpy??:default_sad:

(Sorry - thread drift!!! )

• Like 8

No, I'm with you 101% there MM 

I don't use Facebook and wish businesses wouldn't just assume that everyone does. It's especially annoying, for example, if a pub announces it's closed on FB and you don't find out till you get there. T shirt etc 

Victor Meldrew 2nd :default_norty:

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, marshman said:

What is it with people like Ferry who think that the whole world is on Faceache? 

Even pubs are now dong this - the Stag in Salhouse doesn't have a website either. Whilst I appreciate that its an easy option, IMHO if you cannot be bothered to have a proper website, then you are only half a business. Quite a few people do not "do" Faceache and as a result you must be missing an opportunity? Surely I am not the only one to think like this?

Or am I just too old and grumpy??:default_sad:

(Sorry - thread drift!!! )

Quite simply it is about speed and ease. Unless you are very tech savvy you are going to be paying for another company to develop, design and host your website and then carry out updates as needed. Then you have to contact them again and ask them to remove any special offers when they are no longer relevant. The more you are prepared to pay, the more responsive to short term and last minute amendments your web hosting company will be.

On the other hand pretty much anyone can create a Facebook presence and take five minutes to update it in the morning and it is instant.

For instance your oven breaks down and you make a quick post on your Facebook page that you will be open, but apologies there will be no hot food today. It's quick and instant. Or you email your web hosting company who may not react to the email immediately. Then when they do, it's a day or two later and your oven is now fixed, but now you need to get the update removed from your website. etc etc. Or do you phone your web hosting company and expect them to stop work on whatever else they are doing to make an update to your website for one day!

Last minute special offers are not quite so time dependent, but still far easier to spread the message on a medium you have control over, such as your Facebook page.

Then you have to understand a little about how Facebook works. If you look at a page regularly then updates and notifications will start to pop up in your feed about things that maybe of interest to you. So you regularly check the Facebook page of the Stag, and they post a special Valentines dinner menu, then there is an above average chance the next time you go to Facebook it will pop up in your feed and whilst you may have forgotten about Valentines, or had no plans to go out, you might think twice, take a look and make a booking. If they updated a webpage, unless you go regularly to their webpage you would be non the wiser. That might suit you, but push advertising gets results for those companies that use Facebook.

• Like 2

Hosting can be fairly cheap and the likes of wordpress makes updating content pretty quick and easy I believe.

I'm another that "don't do faceache", I have a login but nothing on it that relates to me and I just can't be bothered with it.

• Like 3