Balmy

NorfolkNog

14 hours ago, Paladin said:

There is quite a bit of information on here about it. Just put the word Crome's in the search box. Let's try not to lose Broads history by misnomers.

I agree with that as I too am a lover of Broads history, which I find fascinating.

All the same, perhaps we can accept that things change with "common usage" over the years?

For instance is it Candle Dyke, or Kendall Dyke, as many historians including Roy Clark and Robert Maltster, would have it?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:
18 hours ago, Paladin said:

There is quite a bit of information on here about it. Just put the word Crome's in the search box. Let's try not to lose Broads history by misnomers.

I agree with that as I too am a lover of Broads history, which I find fascinating.

All the same, perhaps we can accept that things change with "common usage" over the years?

Is it Black Horse Broad or Hoveton Little, Surlingham Broad or Bargate, Roy's in Hoveton or Wroxham?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Surlingham Broad or Bargate

The bit that makes a cut through is Bargate, if you turn through the markers that say shallow water you are going into surlingham broad, the broad itself is not a large open water area these days it's more of a maze of narrow channels and if you follow the right one it will take you to surlingham staithe but you would have to get under the fallen tree at the end of the staithe and it's very shallow that far up, the staithe is up the lane from the ferryhouse and down a little lane on the left just past the white cottage.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ferry accessible by foot - only just! The lane has numerous deep puddles but can be skirted with care. New Inn not kicked us out - yet.... 

Also using sparklers, baffled, had to ask for a top up, unheard of in Norfolk :default_biggrin:

DSC_8413.JPG

Have a good week. From Mrs ‘Green’ !!!!

I noticed the level at Acle looked high on Tuesday, even before all this rain over the past couple of days and before it was reported the levels had risen earlier in the week (I’d put that rise down to high tides). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Ferry accessible by foot - only just! The lane has numerous deep puddles but can be skirted with care. New Inn not kicked us out - yet.... 

Also using sparklers, baffled, had to ask for a top up, unheard of in Norfolk :default_biggrin:

DSC_8413.JPG

That bit of road in Horning seems to have been under water for weeks.  I’ve been to Horning Pleasurecraft three or four times this year, so far and it’s been flooded like that (or worse) every time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

The London. Pride was excellent last weekend in the Swan 

It was very well kept I have to say. I think the Swan is the best pub in Horning by some distance. Called time in New Inn (surprise, surprise) so back to the Swan :default_biggrin:

25 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Have a good week. From Mrs ‘Green’ !!!!

I noticed the level at Acle looked high on Tuesday, even before all this rain over the past couple of days and before it was reported the levels had risen earlier in the week (I’d put that rise down to high tides). 

Ah, take it from the 'green' you're not afloat KP :default_crying1animated:

Could have bought you a pint too :default_biggrin:

When are you back? 

The water about may be something to do with the fact that we had virtually an inch of rain last night - thats more than double in one day, what we had in the whole of February last year!!! Probably blown out of the window a picture that was beginning to see some improvement!!

• Like 1

It is a shame MM, feels like back to where we were in December. Thanks goodness for low air draught Alphacrafts! 

Booted out of the New Inn, luckily Swan still open. 

And yes, CC, London Pride well tended, apart from the froth :default_norty:

DSC_8416.JPG

• Like 3

I've been back to cash for a good while, try and get a quick fix for anything by wandering into an engineering company clutching a credit card, not the same effect! Sorry you need to speak to reception,  do it with a £20 note and things happen and boat gets fixed and holiday carries on.

Maybe not all above board but I'll take the cheap quick fix and enjoy the holiday every time.

Choccy biccies have a similar effect.

• Like 4

Good comments re the cash and very fair points . I'm probably old school and do cash with everything but need to move with the times! 

The Swan gets the gold award for not closing early, busy too, very impressed :1311_thumbsup_tone2:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Ah, take it from the 'green' you're not afloat KP :default_crying1animated:

Could have bought you a pint too :default_biggrin:

When are you back?

No Howard, I won’t be afloat for a while yet. The boat’s all shut up, awaiting her lift out for a repaint, which with every day that goes by means another day later going back in at the other end! 
I’ll have to content myself with other peoples’ holiday tales. Keep them coming!

• Like 1