Balmy

NorfolkNog

23 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

No, I'm with you 101% there MM 

I don't use Facebook and wish businesses wouldn't just assume that everyone does. It's especially annoying, for example, if a pub announces it's closed on FB and you don't find out till you get there. T shirt etc 

Victor Meldrew 2nd :default_norty:

while I am on faceache, I would not even consider looking up information on the pub there- to start with that would mean remembering the pub name, and B would require I was actually using facebook at that time, its not something I have open and readily available at all times. in fact I rarely have a phone or tablet handy when on the boat, they both usually sit forlornly in the cabin waiting for me to remember their presence.

recently I posted a comment about how most youngsters nowadays would be lost if they lost their phone, i was challenged with the comment what would i do if i lost mine- my answer was I would manage without it, then checked my phone to find a missed call from 2 days prior- thats how frequently I use my phone. (oh and two messages reminding me I have an upcoming appointment- click the link to find out when- of course as my phone is not smart, I cant click the link, so will be attending on the date and time from the letter I was sent.)

• Like 1

If anyone wants the electric at Reedham there might be a slight technical hitch :default_norty:

Having said that it's so warm you wouldn't need it anyway. The thread title still holds good :default_biggrin:

Looks like the water has been over the top at the Ship quay, never seen that before. 

No, it's not gin o'clock Mrs Nog, we are just waiting for the tide :default_norty:

1190517.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Hosting can be fairly cheap and the likes of wordpress makes updating content pretty quick and easy I believe.

I'm another that "don't do faceache", I have a login but nothing on it that relates to me and I just can't be bothered with it.

However, can you update a website quickly and easily from your phone? Does a landlord want to learn how to use Wordpress? On the other hand a landlord can quickly pick up their phone, take a picture of today's menu and post it on Facebook in less than 60 secs. Whilst it may not work for everyone, it still gets the word out quickly and cheaply to a wide audience.

I have a Facebook account, I don't "do" Facebook. I use it to my advantage. I don't check in to venues, I don't post what I had for breakfast, or where I'm going etc. I have an account purely so I join groups of interest to browse.

There is a group called Food on The Norfolk Broads. I've joined it purely to browse the useful content that gets published there. I looked at the group briefly yesterday morning and found copies of Valentines Day menus from about 10 different establishments around the Broad. Now I could have looked at a number of local pubs and restaurants websites, most would have had a copy of their normal menu. but I bet you pretty much none had their Valentines Day menu on the website.

I off course would have had to search for the websites or already have them bookmarked. Or, I could go to the Facebook group and peruse 10 or so menus in one simple action, decide on the best and then here's the best bit, if using Facebook from the phone, just click on the phone number on the Facebook page and be ringing the pub to try and make a booking.

I realise it doesn't work for everyone, but in the same way as this forum has it's place, for some Facebook is a very complimentary addition to their daily interaction to social media. Let's not forget, this forum is social media, just in a different form to Facebook.

What I do find amusing is the number of people who post here saying I don't do Facebook, but for those that do, there is such and such, a letter, or post that has been made, then eventually someone gets permission and it gets posted here second hand. 

If you want to know what's going on in the world, some people read a newspaper, others watch the TV news, some even do both! For me keeping up with the world of Broadland means using this forum, browsing certain Facebook groups, the other forum when it was working and the occasional glance at the EDP website. I use all of them for their best bits.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

If anyone wants the electric at Reedham there might be a slight technical hitch :default_norty:

I maybe wrong, but I believe it is now turned off when the ranger hut closes at the end of the season. It frequently trips when the tide overtops and when the ranger is around he resets it once safe to do so. Obviously with no ranger presence over the Winter I think they now just turn it off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NorfolkNog said:

Anyone know what the loud bangs are over the marshes at Reedham? 

Probably the local farmers shooting at pesky hirers :default_biggrin: I don't suppose Mrs N will mind as long as she can get to a gin cabinet :default_winko: x

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I suspect Ferry and Richardsons have put a limit on Stokesby. Not seen another hire craft since we've been down here. Very quiet and peaceful :default_biggrin:

Anyone know what the loud bangs are over the marshes at Reedham? 

Bird scarers perhaps?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Good morning from muddy Reedham :default_biggrin:

Levels do seem to be dropping, 9 feet under Somerleyton 

Very quiet on the OBYS pontoon this morning :default_norty:

Thought I detected faint snoring but could be wrong 

DSC_8540.JPG

A decent slumber only broken by the use of a girlie button at about 7.00.... :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Hope you are both ok and getting back up North.   Weather Saturday and Sunday does not look good at all with weather warnings.   that's all we need more rain.

Spells of rain, some heavy, will push east across most areas through Saturday and Sunday. Some disruption is likely. - Flooding of a few homes and businesses is likely - Bus and train services probably affected with journey times taking longer - Spray and flooding on roads probably making journey times longer - Some interruption to power supplies.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Good to hear Saturday looks fine.  

I fear that sometimes we can be obsessed by the weather. 

Storm this, storm that. Most times, all that happens is that it rains!

Or, nothing happends. 

We with our wellies at the door. Candles and matches to the fore. Torches charged. Cans of soup ready. Then, in the morning  I wake up expecting to see devastation, trees down, fences down.  Nothing. Birds singing, dogs being walked. Horses trotting down the lane. A normal day in Norfolk.

Very Old Wussername. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hylander said:

Spells of rain, some heavy, will push east across most areas through Saturday and Sunday. Some disruption is likely. - Flooding of a few homes and businesses is likely - Bus and train services probably affected with journey times taking longer - Spray and flooding on roads probably making journey times longer - Some interruption to power supplies.

We are not alone with this persistent precipitation - it appears that large chunks of the UK are suffering with endless flood warnings:

https://check-for-flooding.service.gov.uk/?v=map-live&lyr=mv,ts,tw,ta&ext=-7.246718,49.246307,5.002028,55.243989

Oddly enough, the north-west seems to be missing out, which is a bit strange, ‘cos every time I’ve been to Manchester it’s been hammering down.  Perhaps they don’t need warnings - they’re used to it! 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Meantime said:

Purely for the sake of research Mr Nog. The Broadland marina bar has 4 hand pumps, only three on currently. Adnams ghost ship. Greene king ipa and Lacons fireside.

I can confirm the ghost ship is very drinkable :default_beerchug:

Your dedication to research is admirable MT sir 

I will make an effort to visit next time :default_beerchug:

Stamford Arms is overdue for a return visit too. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wussername said:

We with our wellies at the door. Candles and matches to the fore. Torches charged. Cans of soup ready. Then, in the morning  I wake up expecting to see devastation, trees down, fences down.  Nothing. Birds singing, dogs being walked. Horses trotting down the lane. A normal day in Norfolk.

How very true - thank goodness.     

• Like 2