Balmy

NorfolkNog

4 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

:default_crying1animated::default_crying1animated::default_crying1animated:

Massive thumbs up to Bridgecraft, boat ran impeccably, very economical and heating fired up every day without the need to run the engine. Fantastic personal service from this family run yard, highly recommended :default_biggrin:

DSC_7919.JPG

Yep, they maintain everything brilliantly so it all "just works" and makes the whole hire stress-free. In 2 hires we've had nothing go wrong bar a suspect tv aerial.

• Like 2

I dont want you to go home.   It has been such fun hearing all of your trips.    So pleased the boat has behaved itself.   You are a good advert for Bridgecraft.      Stay safe both of you and have a wonderful Christmas and an even better New Year.   Will you be back in 2024?

:default_xmas6::default_beerchug::default_xmas6::default_beerchug::default_xmas6:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When you arrive Howard I know that winter is nigh.

Your visit in February will endorse that realisation that we may have to endure one of the harshest months of winter. And then, and only then, you visit in May. A spiteful month.  Do not cast clout until May is out.

When you depart, all is well. Our Norfolk Nog has gone with our sadness. We look forward to the advent of Spring and hope for a summer, a wonderful summer.

Thank you for your story.

I have been privileged to have been "boating" on the river so to speak in mid winter. Moving boats from South to North. A flask of hot soup, a sandwich, freezing cold on a boat with no heater. 

Then a winter cruise with my wife from Stalham to the end of navigation at Coltishall one weekend. To the very end of navigation. A sad and delipidated sign stated at Coltishall "hire boats not allowed" I carried on to the locks, the water meadows at Horstead Mill all those years ago. The mill had gone, a few years past. The mooring at the old dilapidated lock gates was memorable. A place that few people visited by boat. 

In the morning we awoke to the sound of geese, huge numbers, hundreds in skeins which seemed to fill the sky, a cacophony of sound which reverberated throughout the Norfolk landscape.

On our way home, back to Stalham on our approach to Belaugh we entered a reach which held hundred and hundreds of geese just floating, resting on the river, from bank to bank. There was no way through, but they just parted, these wild birds as I went through so very slowly, very quietly. Feeling somewhat guilty of intrusion. 

I have often felt that I should ask you why you come midwinter. However I think that I know from my brief experience. 

For me, sadly boating has become a challenge. I have to leave winter boating to those of sterner stuff. 

Not so long ago I used to help the grandchildren onto the boat. Now they help me. 

As Shakespeare said " Sans eyes, sans teeth, sans everything. 

Sometimes, on the river, they will say, "ask Grandad" It was not all in vain, was it?

Thank you once again Howard.

Andrew.

• Like 17
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I didn't know there used to be a sign saying that. So hire boats had to turn by the Rising Sun?

Yes they did and it wasn't that long ago.      We have yet to venture up beyond where the sign originally was but hope to in May next year.

• Like 2

I remember seeing the sign when I was a little girl, it's only been the last few years we have ventured up there once the sign went

What an absolutely lovely post from Old Wusser, thank you and thank you Mr Nog for another lovely tale. It's a joy reading of members adventures in Winter time

:default_xmas6: x

• Like 6

9 hours ago, kpnut said:

Free as I went past earlier, but far too muddy to consider stopping! 🫤

I recall one October half term holiday time mooring there with the family and when I stepped off it was like stepping into a bowl of porridge.    I can assure you no one else attempted it and I struggled to release my shoes from the mud and get back on board.   Yes it can be tricky after a lot of rain but glorious in the summer months.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Glorious indeed and not just in the summer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7j9n7EXJouKP8gJN9

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Is this Johnny Crowes Staithe?

2 hours ago, gancanny said:

thats it M

No, that is the mooring at the entrance to Crome's Dyke. The dyke, which is still part of the navigation but is now unnavigable due to neglect by the Broads Authority, goes away from the river to Crome's Broad. There is a footpath alongside the dyke. About 100 yards or so up the path there is a right-angled bend. Crowe's staithe is on the outside of that bend. Totally delapidated but just about recognisable.

There is quite a bit of information on here about it. Just put the word Crome's in the search box. Let's try not to lose Broads history by misnomers.

• Like 2