New Here, Doing Things In The Wrong Order Of Course

Hi, I'm Will/William,

Already made some other comments here and there in the forum, before getting around to an introduction thread.

I've spent 2 weeks on the Broads, once oh, over a decade ago, and then the second time was last year, both times with my Dad. Decided to make them a more regular thing and go every year for the foreseeable future, though my attempts to persuade him that the smart solution is to co-own a boat are not working.

I work in a technical role in the events/theatre supplies industry, usually involving looking at things that have been hired by customers and returned, and then scratching my head about what they've done to the equipment and trying to find the best way to get it back out into the hire inventory in a usable state. Hopefully this means I treat the hire boats nicely, but my wish to tinker and improve things does cause me to go looking at the boatyards adverts for a few months afterward...

I'll be afloat this year in June, hopefully able to pass under Ludham and Vauxhall bridges with sane planning. Last year in the mere 6'10 Encore 2 we were able to go around quite recklessly regardless of tide, only having to time things for Vauxhall Bridge and - to my sort of enduring horror at the inefficiency - really having to motor quite hard against the tides in doing so (we aimed to arrive just after high slack water). It took some of the fun out of it, but the tide times were not ideal (high in the middle of the day), not leaving a lot of time to get to a mooring before it was too late to be cruising, so it worked quite well for covering the miles.

Anyhow, I'm here to try and learn as much as I can by some sort of osmosis, before getting to the boatyard!

• Like 10

Hi Will. Sounds like you’ve caught the bug and are hoping to succumb to the purchase of the boat of your dreams and be happy, but penniless! It might take a number of years, but the bug is very persistent. I suffered from the same one.
In the meantime, nothing wrong with learning on someone else’s boat from a yard. 

• Like 1

Hi Will, welcome to the forum. It’s only 10 years (almost) since we discovered the Broads, and we now have a share in a syndicate boat (a very cost effective way of maximising Broads time without committing to buying a boat).

I would recommend you absorb information available online. Some boatyards, such as Richardson’s have introductory videos on YouTube, as does the Broads Authority. I have found this website a mine of information:

https://www.mynorfolkbroadsboating.co.uk

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Welcome to the forum Will.

Just one word of warning matey, if you buy a boat you'll spend every given moment cleaning the damned thing.

Says the king of camouflage......:default_biggrin:

Welcome Will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hi Will and welcome.

There's a lot to be said for hiring for a while before buying. There's such a wide array of options available, it makes sense to get a feel for what does and doesn't matter to you. People obviously love the huge, spacious boats which are commonplace. After hiring for a while though, it may become apparent that they're impractical and smaller boats with low air draft are actually a wiser choice, allowing you to get to the quieter and less accessible areas. You could even join the dark side and try a traditional sailing cruiser :default_biggrin:

• Like 3

A warm welcome to the Forum Will

Just don't follow my example - I first visited the Broads a number of times as a child nearly 50 years ago, and didn't return again for over 40 years.

But the bug had set itself deep in me all those years ago, and a chance weekend visit back resulted in it resurfacing - then forcing me to join this Forum, after which the horrible nasty people on here made me buy a boat last year :default_hiding:

For my sins, its not even on the Broads, but on the Great Ouse in St.Ives

I am now broke, with no time for anything else 

But i'm also a VERY HAPPY BOAT OWNER indeed :default_stinky: :default_winko: :default_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

For my sins, its not even on the Broads, but on the Great Ouse in St.Ives

If that's true, the price you pay for sin is obviously never ending SSAs! :default_badday:

• Haha 2