Broom And The White Heron

Mouldy

20 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

Currently moored next to a Broom Captain with two very funky folding cycles   Do they hire these out with the boats. 

we can hire them but they come free with that boat..

On 17/08/2024 at 19:10, SwanR said:

If @C.Ricko happens to look in again, can you confirm whether these are all inclusive prices please, it wasn’t clear without pretending to follow the process through. Also is there any chance you will be giving Blue Light discount? A number of yards are doing this now but at varying percentages. 

the diesel is included for the remainder of this year but you will notice we are more fair with our pricing so will be less expencive next year however you book.. 

also bear in mind you wont be charged a cancellation insurance from the agent. or have a comission built in if you book direct with us.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Saturday before last we moored at Brooms, the first person we.bumped into was Clive, who welcomed us

There was a great singer outside on his acoustic guitar that evening, the seating outside the White Heron was nearly full. We had a great time.

We visited again, a few days later and had a very good 2 course evening meal at sensible prices. The restaurant was very busy, but good service and highly recommended.

Can't  wait to get back on the South Broads and visit Brooms and The White Heron again.

• Like 9

10 hours ago, C.Ricko said:

the diesel is included for the remainder of this year but you will notice we are more fair with our pricing so will be less expencive next year however you book.. 

Very pleased to hear pricing will be fairer, Clive. Can I just clarify, 2024 holidays include diesel and 2025 prices exclude diesel?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Can I just clarify, 2024 holidays include diesel and 2025 prices exclude diesel?

I agree this needs clarifying. If you book for next year at the moment you appear to just get a total hire charge without any indication of a fuel deposit. Hoseasons do give a discount to blue light card holders which does drop the price if you’re fortunate enough to qualify for this scheme, hence my earlier question. It makes a significant difference. 

28 minutes ago, SwanR said:

discount to blue light card holders which does drop the price if you’re fortunate enough to qualify for this scheme, hence my earlier question. It makes a significant difference. 

We can fully endorse that statement! It's one of the reasons that we use HW twice a year as coupled with their loyalty discount, early booking fee etc, the blue light card discount makes a huge difference to the final hire price :default_biggrin:

Chris

• Thanks 1

Horning Pleasurecraft do have ‘offers’ on their website.  Given that their hire prices are lower than those through Hoseasons, together with the pride in the way their boats are turned out and general appearance, I know who I would go with should I ever need to hire again in the future.

https://broadshols.co.uk/offers/

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Very pleased to hear pricing will be fairer, Clive. Can I just clarify, 2024 holidays include diesel and 2025 prices exclude diesel?

yes, its looking that way.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CeePee1952 said:

We can fully endorse that statement! It's one of the reasons that we use HW twice a year as coupled with their loyalty discount, early booking fee etc, the blue light card discount makes a huge difference to the final hire price :default_biggrin:

Chris

we appreciate the efforts of all the public and private services so publish our best prices for the benefit of everyone, 

you will notice this is why we do not feel the need to discount and upset our loyal customers (who do get a loyalty bonus)..

Remember, Book early :default_eusa_dance:

• Like 12

53 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

we appreciate the efforts of all the public and private services so publish our best prices for the benefit of everyone, 

you will notice this is why we do not feel the need to discount and upset our loyal customers (who do get a loyalty bonus)..

Remember, Book early :default_eusa_dance:

Amen to that what  a refreshing statement every one should be allowed the same good and fair prices if you work hard in the private or public sectors.

John 

• Like 9

Cannot understand why people who work for the "blue light" businesses think that they should be given discounts just because of who they work for. 

I have never heard of anyone in one of these services being forced to do a job they actually applied for in the first place.

Jeff:default_hiding:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Cannot understand why people who work for the "blue light" businesses think that they should be given discounts just because of who they work for. 

I have never heard of anyone in one of these services being forced to do a job they actually applied for in the first place.

Jeff:default_hiding:

I don’t think that anyone who has never done an emergency services job, on the front line, can truly understand the impact of what they MAY face every single time they go to work. But I have seen the after effect, the stress and distress that it can leave. And that impact can also affect their family.

I don’t know how the blue light scheme came about but I don’t think it comes from a sense of entitlement. There is a charge to belong to the scheme so it’s an individual choice as to whether it’s worth it for each eligible person. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I don’t think that anyone who has never done an emergency services job, on the front line, can truly understand the impact of what they MAY face every single time they go to work. But I have seen the after effect, the stress and distress that it can leave. And that impact can also affect their family.

I don’t know how the blue light scheme came about but I don’t think it comes from a sense of entitlement. There is a charge to belong to the scheme so it’s an individual choice as to whether it’s worth it for each eligible person. 

Well said!! The Blue Light Card scheme is also available for all the Armed Forces personnel (serving or veterans).  When Brenda retires at the end of October after over 50 years service in the nursing profession and will no longer be eligible to use her Blue Light Card, we will benefit from mine.

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the intention of the blue card scheme was great, but, and there is always a but.

My daughter in law qualifies for the scheme as she works for the NHS. She books appointments for kidney patients from a remote office or home. Not really front line staff.

The scheme is supposed to be extended to teachers, again not really blue light frontline staff.

I would prefer to see the scheme restricted to current and retired frontline Blue light ( and Forces ) personal.

Next they will be expanding it to traffic wardens and Ulez camera operators.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SwanR said:

I don’t know how the blue light scheme came about but I don’t think it comes from a sense of entitlement. 

I may be wrong but I thought this started during Covid as an appreciation of the extra effort and risks. I also thought it was just for the duration of the pandemic. 

Anyway, before we start throwing things at each other there are clearly different viewpoints on the matter. What counts is surely having a satisfactory experience. 

• Like 1

I too thought it was something that started during Covid, to enable the emergency staff who were working so hard to be able to take a stress free break from their duties. and with other services to keep their lives outside work as affordable and stress free as possible, eg garages offering discounted vehicle repairs to keep them able to get to work.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, floydraser said:

I may be wrong but I thought this started during Covid as an appreciation of the extra effort and risks. I also thought it was just for the duration of the pandemic. 

Anyway, before we start throwing things at each other there are clearly different viewpoints on the matter. What counts is surely having a satisfactory experience. 

I looked on the Blue Light Card website and the scheme was started in 2008 apparently.  A card costs £4.99 and is valid for two years.  By comparison, my Costco card costs me over £33 per year!

As far as extra rewards go for ‘frontline staff’ is concerned, no one was conscripted into working in any of the professions that qualify.  To the best of my knowledge, everyone in those occupations has entered of their own volition.

Whilst it is a good idea in theory to offer something extra to those folk, maybe it should be considered a bonus and not an entitlement.  There are other occupations that are essential , where pay is poor and working hours long, where such discounts are not available.  What additional benefits do they get?

• Like 3

Also on the website the Blue Light card funds the Blue Light Foundation which is a charity helping veterans of the Emergency and Military Services who have fallen on hard times. For the record I have never heard a single instance of anyone claiming an entitlement to this service.

If the Fire Service saved your home or boat would you say "thank you" or "that's what you signed up to do"?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like a lot of these schemes you need to look beneath the surface to see who really benefits. 

The Blue Light Card company is a private limited company founded in 2008. The Blue Light foundation was only started in 2023.

In the last financial year, the Blue Light card company paid out 41.5 million pounds in dividends to it's core shareholders. At the same time charitable donations, presumably to the Blue Light Foundation were, £488,000.

Whilst the company may have some good aims at it's core, the real winners are the Directors and shareholders of the company.

The card appears to provide good benefits to those who qualify to be able to apply for a card, even if the list of those who qualify is getting ever longer, in my view to the ultimate benefit of the companies shareholders.

I can kind of see Clive's point of view.

• Like 2