Hi Folks

Hi everyone!

I stumbled across this forum after reading an article in the EDP, and found that some of the topics stirred a lot happy memories for me of the Broads. I was around 5 or 6 years old when my parents hired a boat called "Walrus", I believe from Richardsons in the 60's, but I became much more familiar with the Broads when my parents bought a Maclan 22, called "Maclan Eagle", J11, in 1975. She had been taken in part-exchange for a new Moonraker by a senior manager at Eagle International, hence the "Eagle" in the Maclan's name, but while awaiting sale in Brundall, she was vandalised, and certain items needed to be repaired/replaced. 

The salesman at JCL wanted rid of her, and helpfully directed us to Mike Brister, who at the time had his yard in Brundall, and following the repairs agreed to let my parents moor the boat at his yard. Being teachers, and living in Peterborough at the time, we spent nearly every weekend and the long school holidays on the Broads. After a while, Mike and Beryl Brister relocated the yard to the Rond at Wroxham, and the Maclan followed. Not long after, Mike offered my parents one of his Broom Skipper hire boats that he was selling, "Yare Breeze" G667, which they took and renamed "L'Aigle". That name was a nod to the Maclan, and they moored her at his yard in Wroxham. They eventually sold her and retired from boating. 

I did a bit of checking around a few years ago and found her listed on a website, that I won't name or link in case it trangresses the rules of this forum, and that she was renamed "Janey Louise", and was based in Dilham. 

In 2019, my wife and I visited both Brundall and Wroxham to see if we could find either yard, but both places have changed enormously, as had all the surrounding yards, such as AlphaCraft and Carr & West which have all gone, as had the large houseboat that was moored in the adjacent dyke. 

I would be interested in knowing more about the Maclan and the Skipper, in case they still reside on the Broads. Mike Brister sadly passed away, but my parents stayed in touch with Beryl for a while. I don't know what happened to their eldest son David, and his wife Jill since they lived in the bungalow at the yard in Wroxham, or to John the youngest son, who taught me how to fish. They had a daughter too, whose name escapes me. Meantime, I look forward into delving into some of the historical threads in the forum, and possibly I might be able to contribute from time to time. A glass of wine may aid the memory too! :409_wine_glass:

Cheers!

Adrian

L'Aigle.jpg

• Like 9

Welcome to the NBN , as I can see from the photo you have posted you’ve discovered The Broads Boats database and the skipper was last spotted in 2016 , this database is in the process of being updated so it is fairly likely she is still on the network , if I spot her I will post on here .

Hi Adrian.  When Mike Brister finished hiring at the end of the 2003 season, the majority of his fleet went to Royalls and Summercraft.  Dave Brister went to work at Summercraft and was still there when we last hired from them in 2018.

Sue sold off most of her fleet at the end of 2019, I believe and only kept one AF 35 Diamond (Gardenia Girl) and one of the AF Opals (Gala Girl).  Gardenia Girl was put on the market at the end of the 2023 season and Gala Girl still on hire this year, I believe.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the warm welcome! I feel honoured to be among you!

:default_smile::default_smile:

3 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Welcome to the NBN , as I can see from the photo you have posted you’ve discovered The Broads Boats database and the skipper was last spotted in 2016 , this database is in the process of being updated so it is fairly likely she is still on the network , if I spot her I will post on here .

Thank you Sir, that would be very much appreciated !

:1355_pray_tone1:

Adrian

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Hi Adrian.  When Mike Brister finished hiring at the end of the 2003 season, the majority of his fleet went to Royalls and Summercraft.  Dave Brister went to work at Summercraft and was still there when we last hired from them in 2018.

Sue sold off most of her fleet at the end of 2019, I believe and only kept one AF 35 Diamond (Gardenia Girl) and one of the AF Opals (Gala Girl).  Gardenia Girl was put on the market at the end of the 2023 season and Gala Girl still on hire this year, I believe.

Very helpful too. THANK YOU !!!

• Like 1

I remember the Brister Craft boats being very smart in their time. I remember "Yare Breeze" and her sister "Yare Mist" jumped out from the brochure in their striking yellow livery. As Malcom says, many of the remaining fleet remained on hire elsewhere and I've hired a couple myself over the years. They had a a high quality fit out and some had tinted windows years before they were used elsewhere.

On 02/09/2024 at 15:12, Myalibi said:

Hi everyone!

I stumbled across this forum after reading an article in the EDP, and found that some of the topics stirred a lot happy memories for me of the Broads. I was around 5 or 6 years old when my parents hired a boat called "Walrus", I believe from Richardsons in the 60's, but I became much more familiar with the Broads when my parents bought a Maclan 22, called "Maclan Eagle", J11, in 1975. She had been taken in part-exchange for a new Moonraker by a senior manager at Eagle International, hence the "Eagle" in the Maclan's name, but while awaiting sale in Brundall, she was vandalised, and certain items needed to be repaired/replaced. 

The salesman at JCL wanted rid of her, and helpfully directed us to Mike Brister, who at the time had his yard in Brundall, and following the repairs agreed to let my parents moor the boat at his yard. Being teachers, and living in Peterborough at the time, we spent nearly every weekend and the long school holidays on the Broads. After a while, Mike and Beryl Brister relocated the yard to the Rond at Wroxham, and the Maclan followed. Not long after, Mike offered my parents one of his Broom Skipper hire boats that he was selling, "Yare Breeze" G667, which they took and renamed "L'Aigle". That name was a nod to the Maclan, and they moored her at his yard in Wroxham. They eventually sold her and retired from boating. 

I did a bit of checking around a few years ago and found her listed on a website, that I won't name or link in case it trangresses the rules of this forum, and that she was renamed "Janey Louise", and was based in Dilham. 

In 2019, my wife and I visited both Brundall and Wroxham to see if we could find either yard, but both places have changed enormously, as had all the surrounding yards, such as AlphaCraft and Carr & West which have all gone, as had the large houseboat that was moored in the adjacent dyke. 

I would be interested in knowing more about the Maclan and the Skipper, in case they still reside on the Broads. Mike Brister sadly passed away, but my parents stayed in touch with Beryl for a while. I don't know what happened to their eldest son David, and his wife Jill since they lived in the bungalow at the yard in Wroxham, or to John the youngest son, who taught me how to fish. They had a daughter too, whose name escapes me. Meantime, I look forward into delving into some of the historical threads in the forum, and possibly I might be able to contribute from time to time. A glass of wine may aid the memory too! :409_wine_glass:

Cheers!

Adrian

L'Aigle.jpg

Anyone else recognise the canopy of the boat alongside the Skipper?

Welcome from me too!

• Like 1

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

picture taken in 1980 I think when I hired it from Bristers in Brundel.

Will need to confirm, but pretty sure it’s just gone back in the water after a repaint and is moored along the same pontoon as me! Looking very smart. Southern Broads.

Unfortunately won’t be up for a couple of weeks, but will confirm number. Its name has reverted to Yare Dawn, that’s what caught my eye and jogged the memory.

IMG_3179.png

7 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Would that be a Woods Delight. Possibly what is now Water Rail

Sod it that edit went wrong, not my fault yer honor she over did the rum... :default_drinks:

Doesn't help that we got into the company of the old new Inn crew... :default_beerchug:

Thank you very much Woodie!

So it looks like our old boat was Yare Dawn, and not Yare Breeze as I had thought. That's most interesting. Truly glad I joined the forum!

My parents had her painted white from the original Brister colours, and they added the pushpit and pulpit, and a windscreen wiper. Internally, there was very little to alter. That must have been shortly after you had hired her. 

I'm going down to Peterborough next week (I live in Northumberland) to visit my mum, dad having passed away 4 years ago, and I will see if I can find some photos of that period. Anything interesting, and I will post them. Sadly, mum's memory is not what it was, but she is 91 years old!

She is still all white, and looking very smart.. I will get some current photos if possible. I hope to see the current owners and share the old photos of her. For some reason I still have the hire document from that holiday, total hire cost was £210.60 with fuel and security deposits!! Hopefully they will be interested in a small bit of her history.

21 minutes ago, Myalibi said:

So it looks like our old boat was Yare Dawn, and not Yare Breeze as I had thought. That's most interesting. Truly glad I joined the forum!

Hi, welcome to the forum, Yare Breeze (L713) is actually still available to hire from Richardsons, although now called Broadland Orion.