Richardsons 45 flybridge

The last centre cockpit we hired was Broads Sunrise from Richardsons. It was a lovely boat when the weather was nice, which luckily for us was most of the time. The problem was when it started raining you had to put the roof up. I admit it was several years ago and things have probably improved but the wiper was next to useless and to see out of the bit that it did wipe you had to have your head against the roof at an angle, not very comfortable.

I hope the newer boats have better wipers, window demisters and headroom when the roof is up.

I love the Lowliners – always have since hiring River Tamar back in 1990 (or maybe 1991). Then came the 44ft versions and that has to be my favourite boat but they don’t come around much as they were never as popular as the 38ft versions.

Suffice to say much dreaming and planning has gone into what I would do with the 44ft version.

I would do all I could to make such a reality. While would cost a great deal to realise I would make sure anything modern being produced today was put to shame.

By removing the small quarter berth and extending the ‘engine room’ right out to the port side of the boat where the berth previously occupied you could fit some good old fashion mechanical goodness in such as a compact generator and aircon/heating system, do away all three heads and have one larger one that served the owners cabin at the rear and the rest of the boat with a double entry door. Guests would have the two single berths in the bow and be able to make up the saloon seating as a double berth.

I’d cut out most of the roof over the aft cabin and have a bonded glass top put in its place, which naturally would be able to retract making it possible to fit things in the boat far easier than through the small door and steep steps into the saloon when required.

Well that’s for starters anyway...Great versatile boats these.

I love the Lowliners – always have since hiring River Tamar back in 1990 (or maybe 1991). Then came the 44ft versions and that has to be my favourite boat but they don’t come around much as they were never as popular as the 38ft versions.

Suffice to say much dreaming and planning has gone into what I would do with the 44ft version.

I would do all I could to make such a reality. While would cost a great deal to realise I would make sure anything modern being produced today was put to shame.

By removing the small quarter berth and extending the ‘engine room’ right out to the port side of the boat where the berth previously occupied you could fit some good old fashion mechanical goodness in such as a compact generator and aircon/heating system, do away all three heads and have one larger one that served the owners cabin at the rear and the rest of the boat with a double entry door. Guests would have the two single berths in the bow and be able to make up the saloon seating as a double berth.

I’d cut out most of the roof over the aft cabin and have a bonded glass top put in its place, which naturally would be able to retract making it possible to fit things in the boat far easier than through the small door and steep steps into the saloon when required.

Well that’s for starters anyway...Great versatile boats these.

You forgot the LOTTERY TICKET Robin to pay for it all :naughty:

cheers Iain.

I must admit I do have a friend whose father built his own Diamond 35 and made the saloon much more useable with a really clever helm seat design, and changed the saloon/ galley layout getting away from the moulded floor tray, he then had a member of his family get Sheerline to copy it  and make another boat! 

This is a thread about Richardson's new build so I'll not clog it up more other than to reply to Iain.

It should not cost a lotto win really - It would costs thousands of course but not hundreds of thousands to do and the end result would be a boat for life without compromise a complete ‘home from home’.

The ripping out of the interior from headlining, plywood, sinks, toilets and tanks etc is completely free as far as paying someone to undertake the work as long as that someone is yourself.

One can get 15mm veneered marine grade plywood in red Cedar for about £7.50 a sheet for 50 cubic metres but can be as little as £1.32 a sheet if you order a 40ft container of it (naturally from China) – the glass for the roof (marine grade laminated to ISO614) comes in at £65.00 a square metre.

IKEA sells fully sealed moisture proof furniture in a modular systems which would not warp etc in a damp environments and because the boat in many areas is ‘square’ this could work especially as far as the Galley goes.

Just need the specs, amounts requires, and a day at a computer and willing to wait a couple of months for things to be shipped tools and determination to realise a dream (oh and money).

• Like 2

Aye Robin, it awe comes down tae money! Thunderball aint millions! :naughty: You are sounding by the way like a quantity surveyor :naughty:

Your ideas I must say are very interesting, I am sure young Alan (JawsOrca and Dave) would gladly give you a hand once they are finnished with their project boat :naughty::hardhat:

cheers Iain.

I would like some far eastern ply for £7.50 a sheet, I buy it in packs not containers but don't get any where near that price!

not knocking your enthusiasm in any way robin, as I like some of your ideas but the reality is much harder, I designed the floor trays in Broadsman to use Kitchen units, I then decided not to bother as they would be a short term option and would not fit properly anyway... the moisture in a boat is from everywhere whereas a kitchen only gets it from the top.

I think it could be done as you say but would not be for 'life'

Keep the ideas coming :)

• Like 1

One can get 15mm veneered marine grade plywood in red Cedar for about £7.50 a sheet for 50 cubic metres 

Geez Robin let me know your supplier! I was ordering oak veneer plywood (WPB (ish) ) for £25 a sheet and I thought that was a good deal! Although we only used about 10 sheets :(

I admit too our kitchen (Mk1 that is.. it will be replaced after a couple of years as it wont last) is a B&Q kitchen lol although it makes too much sense not to!

Erm Thanks Iain too.. but I need a year off relaxing after this project! 

So can we, Lightning is the sister ship to Thunder.

One thing you forgot Matt,  as can be seen in your pictures, both Thunder and Lightning also have a rear access door. That`s 3 seperate ways of entry / exit. 

The only down side to Lightning centre door, is it`s a bit small, especially compared to the Lowliner 38 / 44.

Also, i heard the view from the lower steering position was`nt good, but we did`nt have any problems in October when the weather was foul.

A great design, and one which we hope to enjoy for years to come.

Clive, don`t get rid of them, instead, do a complete interior refit to a better plan.

must admit, i get through a shed load of 'far eastern' ply but the majority of the new build is 13 core birch ply which isn't cheap... may have to do a bit of adding up and chat to some friends about getting a container in!

• Like 1

Now much as some of you may like it, I'll pass on the posistion of NBN Trade Ambassador to China ;)

Final thoughts - Pretty much anything is possible, and just because something is done one way it does not mean it has to always be done that way - never be bound by 'the box' get out of it and sit on it if you must to figure out the other way.  

Boats are complicated because of their relatively small dimensions to work in and the fact very little on a boat is symmetrical so each bit needs to be made and fitted by somebody by hand - that skill and their time costs but do you really need to employ a boatyard to work with plywood or risk cocking it up cutting it yourself? I've never done it - but I have thought about it a lot and came up with an idea of getting a pallet of  rigid cardboard sheets the same size as your plywood sheets would be.   Make templates using this cardboard on the boat which would be far easier to work with and cut, or start over if you went wrong - simply working from one area of the boat to the next using a number system so each piece has its own place as part of the wider plan.

Then employ someone who knows their tools and how to cut wood precisely to cut the plywood as per the cardboard templates.  Instead of several hours labour and costs for the measuring  then cutting plywood sheets then taking said sheet into the boat, glassing it in and so on then doing the next bit (many hours work you would be paying for) with the template method all the sheets for your entire project can be cut - perhaps in a single day - then you can take all the time you want (no cost) to 'build' (or fit) the parts properly where they belong using the number system devised from the cardboard template sheets.

A cheap way for non-structural plywood areas to look better than having 45 degree angles - say to make a nice curved bottom around the base of seating - get the plywood, then cut very precisely many grooves through the layers of wood to just a few mm short of cutting right through the whole sheet.  It will now be floppy with only the thin outer veneer holding it together.  You can now follow the contours of what you need - epoxy the reverse cut side of the ply, secure in place and the epoxy will cure and the piece will now be forever rigidly molded to the curved shape :)

Hi Mike, 

Not really much to report as we are making new shower enclosure moulds, we also have to modify the footwell on the flybridge as it was in the way in the main cabin.. 

I think in the next couple of weeks we will have some  decent pictures to show you..

Hi Mike, 

Our logo will be on the front of all our hireaboats, Hoseasons have a new logo but I am not sure if 

it is being put on other peoples boats.... 

Edited by BroadScot
Change of spelling :-)
  • Like 1