Greetings from Kent

wooster

Thank you everyone for the welcome. Much appreciated. That's two friendly Broads forums I've found now :)

Littlesprite, I'm actually neither. I'm Scottish but have lived here for many years now. I'm not far from Higham either. Just up the road past Meopham :)

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome, I lived in Kent fir a long while 24 years. My family still live there. My sister and husband have been thinking about getting a boat down that way but nothing yet. Beautiful countryside. Would you recommend boating on the Medway, what's it like in comparison to the broads.

Jan

Boating on the non tidal ( above Allington lock) is nice, not a patch on the Broads. The advantage for me is 30 minutes to the Medway, 3 hours to the Broads. We use the Medway for weekends and the Broads for long weekends and extended stays. It does mean two lots of boat cleaning though. 

'There is always a downside with any way of life, but with boating at least you are on the water'

Alan, that's exactly how I feel, I read somewhere that it's better to have a bad day on the water (if that's possible) than a good day in the office or something like that, so Mark, roll up them sleeves and clean lol  :Stinky

Grace

• Like 1

Hi Alan, can you remind me of that on Monday . This weekend is Norfolk boat cleaning, I still ache from last weekend on the Medway.

We spent a day cleaning the boat and we ached for about a week afterwards . We are normally like a pair of couch potatoes so the exercise is welcomed. The boat was smiling when we left it so all is good. We are back at the Broads bank holiday weekend although it's Mikes 50th on the Friday and so I am not sure how much cleaning will get done. I love cleaning, I find it therapeutic lol.

We tried to clean the canvas , we drove to the broads, brought the canvas back to Hertfordshire, soaked it in a black bin and the lightly scrubbed it and lightly jet washed it. Left it overnight to dry. It looked 30% better for all that work and will need doing again. (May start a new thread to get tips if there isn't one)

Jan

Boating on the non tidal ( above Allington lock) is nice, not a patch on the Broads. The advantage for me is 30 minutes to the Medway, 3 hours to the Broads. We use the Medway for weekends and the Broads for long weekends and extended stays. It does mean two lots of boat cleaning though.

I did wonder about that, the Broads are great and not having much, actually no experience of the Medway other than sitting in a pub near Chatham and looking at the boats, I wondered if it offered as much as the boards. Thanks, I will tell my sister what you said, although I think they may still start off on the Medway as like you it's a long old trek to the Broads for them. They live in Meopham.

Jan

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Lol, welcome back then. :wave

I have only joined recently but it's lovely to have somewhere to chat about our favourite place with other people who understand completely the attraction of being out on the rivers. It's hard to do it justice when trying to describe it to someone who's never been. Hard to put into words why it feels so different to be sat on a boat on the river rather than sat on the bank watching.

• Like 1