Vauxhall Bridge latest campaign for funding to complete the earlier work.

ranworthbreeze

A public appeal has been launched to complete the work on Vaxhall Bridge.

For the story please see the link to the report:-

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/campaign_to_complete_work_on_great_yarmouth_s_grade_ii_listed_vauxhall_bridge_1_3728418

I know what my thoughts are but what are yours?

Please keep it clean!

Regards

Alan

I know the subject tended to polarise opinion, but I actually like what they have done to the bridge so far (despite my earlier misgivings!). The new pedestrian deck makes it a much more pleasant walk from the station, and I like the way they have made some of the original rails visible in the path hinting at heritage of the bridge.

• Like 1

I wonder if they can get Michael Portillo there? When he visited Reedham Swing bridge for an episode of his Great British Train Journeys programme, they painted that one pretty quick. Unfortunately they only did the inside of it, as that was all that was seen on the TV. The outside stayed as rusty as always :)

I'm a sucker for most things to do with Engineering, especially railways.

I was surprised to see it half done too, when I went over to Yarmouth a couple of weeks ago.

Most of the animosity undoubtedly springs from it's restriction to Navigation air-draught, like poor old maligned Potter Bridge. :)

Neither of them worry me, they've both been there a very long time, so I just regard them as "givens", and work round their limitations rather than griping about it.....

I wonder if they can get Michael Portillo there? When he visited Reedham Swing bridge for an episode of his Great British Train Journeys programme, they painted that one pretty quick. Unfortunately they only did the inside of it, as that was all that was seen on the TV. The outside stayed as rusty as always :)

He has already been to Great Yarmouth, and very interesting it was too. The trains use to take dead bodies to London for research this area has quite a gruesome past.

Doug.

• Like 1

Great Yarmouth to Beccles

Not currently available on BBC iPlayer

Series 3 Episode 1 of 25

DURATION: 30 MINUTES

Michael Portillo takes to the tracks with a copy of George Bradshaw's Victorian Railway Guidebook. In a series of five epic journeys, Portillo travels the length and breadth of the country to see how the railways changed us, and what of Bradshaw's Britain remains.

Following the route of the Great Eastern Line, which ventures from the edge of England to the centre of the country's financial capital, London, Michael discovers the grave robbing history of Great Yarmouth, tries his hand at working a Victorian swing bridge in Reedham, and takes to the air to discover how a Victorian rail guidebook helped aviators in the Second World War. 

Doug.

see sense, cut it up, weigh it in an put something attractive, up to date and fit for purpose in its place. Yarmouth through and through, in decay or partly restored, looking like its decades in the past but not in a quaint vintage way. Until its dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world it will remain a blot and not the jewel it should be. 

......Yarmouth through and through, in decay or partly restored, looking like its decades in the past but not in a quaint vintage way......

Such an accurate description Mark.

I think I must have explored over 50% of England's coastline, and I can't say I've seen anywhere to match it.

Plenty of Harbours and Resorts have died and been regenerated, but GY seems perpetually stuck at the "dying" stage.

A complete and utter dump.

No problem with the end result, although I would very sincerely argue that the money could have been better spent. Preserving a pile of scrap iron was, I think, a poor priority. Having done it my number one issue is to ask why on earth did they not raise the blessed thing a foot or two? Doing so would, as a proportion of the cost, surely have been a very small part of the whole. By the way, I too am a sucker for most things relating to railways but the attraction of this one escapes me. 

I have heard the river through Yarmouth described as Yarmouth's 'back passage', perhaps the wag that came up with that one was right. It really has been a long term wasted opportunity. For whatever reason Yarmite has traditionally ignored what it has. A riverside walk with a pub either end, a yacht-station/marina proper would be so much nicer than dumped supermarket trolleys and general air of abandonment and muddle that is Yarmouth's back passage. Perhaps best just passed through?

• Like 1

He has already been to Great Yarmouth, and very interesting it was too. The trains use to take dead bodies to London for research this area has quite a gruesome past.

Doug.

For those that are interested, Great British Railway Journeys are being repeated this week on BBC 2 . Thursday and Friday are in Norfolk ending in Cromer.

Doug.

• 3 weeks later...

What will happen is they will raise the money to paint the other part of the bridge - but this will take so long, once work is complete the previously painted part will now be peeling and a new campaign will be launched to re-paint that.

Now where is that other red  railway bridge that needs painting a lot... cheers

• Like 1

What will happen is they will raise the money to paint the other part of the bridge - but this will take so long, once work is complete the previously painted part will now be peeling and a new campaign will be launched to re-paint that.

Now where is that other red  railway bridge that needs painting a lot... cheers

Robin, the OTHER wan now has special paint treatment on it. Be years before it will require repainting. To me, still one of the wonders of the world, the Forth Railway Bridge. :)

cheers Iain.

OOps Dave beat me.

• Like 1