Nominations Required!

JennyMorgan

For those that don't know - when Griff brought BA home from the Jubilee pageant thing it got a seriously tad windy. There were some seriously worried folk and I know for one I didn't sleep well that night until we knew they were safe and sound at Lowestoft.

• Like 3

Dave, I have read it & I quote:

The awards recognise those deemed to have gone above and beyond the expectations of volunteers in helping to protect, maintain and enhance the environment and heritage of their area.

Perhaps the article is ambiguous but boating is a huge part of our heritage and Griff does all his enhancing quite voluntarily. I will agree though, probably not quite what the BA intended, but it wouldn't do any harm to remind them!

• Like 1

It would be good for a number of people on this very forum to be recognised for the valuable contribution that they have made over a period of time. For their efforts in conservation,highlighting important issues, being controversial, constructive critiscism for the benefit of all and all important, that of promoting The Broads both past and present.

Who would I suggest?

A difficult ask.

We have an embarrassment of riches.

Old Wussername

• Like 1

Yes, Carol would get my vote, too.  I bought the DVD 'Boating on the Norfolk Broads in the 1930s' and would highly recommend it.  A fascinating chronicle, not only of the Broads, but of life in general in less complicated times. 

Funnily enough, it wasn't how much everything had changed that struck me, but how, in essentials, a holiday on the Broads is the same now as it was then.  Perhaps that is its main attraction and what keeps people (myself included) coming back year after year.

Thank you, Carol, for the many, many hours you have spent preserving these records for the delight and enrichment of us all. 

• Like 2

my vote would go to carol (adnams girl) for her

invaluable work of many many hours and years that she

has ploughed into the broadland memories site logging and

promoting the history of this area

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/index.html

No disrespect to any of the other proposed nominations on this thread, but I think that Carol meets the BA's criteria exactly.

A single individual that conceived and expertly implemented the idea of an Internet repository of old Broads photos and videos long before "Blogs" proliferated and the Internet was swamped in their all to often mediocre content.

Its an objective point of view really .......all the above are more than worthy in their own rights and for my money you could stick JM on that list ..........but the list could be endless

That said if it was open to a public vote my finger would be on the button for Carol and Broadland memories . For years and years of she has gave many historical access to all Broadland diversity through the ages and with high quality

Already a winner through my eyes

Finny

• Like 3

Any form of recognition for volunteer work is fine, some people like the glory but the vast majority of people that do volunteer do it because it is in their nature, they are caring people who only want to help, be it with the local guides or scouts, clubs, transporting infirm patients etc.

It is a pity there is not a category for  a commercial nominee, a lot of people work on the Broads but it is hardly work for them it is more a way of life.

We have a number of these individuals and companies not only on our but other forums who have certainly helped to promote and enhance the heritage of  the Broads.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

I too would say that whilst those mentioned on this thread are in every way worthy of being "mentioned in dispatches", they are not the people to whom these awards are aimed, though in Carols case I could be mistaken.

I read it as an award in recognition of time and physical services freely and voluntarily given to help maintain and improve  these National Parks (and members of the National Parks family).

Just my take on it :)

My vote definitely goes to Carol.   Her web site brings such immense pleasure to a lot of people.   One of whom is my elderly sister,  she cannot get out much but loves the Broads and although lives a long way a way she can view all about the history of the Broads by just sitting at her laptop.

Woodwose definitely as well.

I too would say that whilst those mentioned on this thread are in every way worthy of being "mentioned in dispatches", they are not the people to whom these awards are aimed, though in Carols case I could be mistaken.

I read it as an award in recognition of time and physical services freely and voluntarily given to help maintain and improve  these National Parks (and members of the National Parks family).

Just my take on it :)

On reflection, I think you're quite right MM.

I'd responded mainly to the replies on this thread, without reading the OP's original linked item properly.

It would indeed appear to be the BA wishing to recognise the best of their volunteers, rather than a general sweep of anyone giving unpaid benefits to the Broads pseudo National Park.

It was certainly food for thought though, such an award would be equally deserved, maybe even more so.

Oh behave you lovely lot ... you're making me blush! :oops:

It's really lovely to know that people appreciate Broadland Memories so much but I certainly don't do any of it for reward or awards. The fact that I've been given access to so much fantastic history of the area, and been given permission to put it out there for others to share, rather than having it tucked away in people's lofts, and that others find it of interest is all the reward I need. :)

I'd feel hugely embarrassed about accepting an award for what I do as it's just a labour of love. Besides which ... it might mean having to have my photo taken! :o

But thank you all so much!

Carol

P.S. Many thanks for your kind words about the DVD ... your copy will be in the post this morning Pauline!

• Like 8

.....to put it out there for others to share, rather than having it tucked away in people's lofts, and that others find it of interest.......

I remember it was about ten years ago when you posted on a forum that you wanted to start a Broads based website that would be of interest and benefit to others, but wasn't sure what the content and theme should be.

Lucky for us, you chose the one you did......  :)