Seeing boats you've hired

Broads01

Well Iain, you have certain been with some good ones! And all well known for their personal service as well as their quality. Maybe that is significant?

At Hearts you must have met Brian Coley, who was a good friend of my family and a great manager. Also Karen Labrum, who took over when he retired.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

Well Iain, you have certain been with some good ones! And all well known for their personal service as well as their quality. Maybe that is significant?

At Hearts you must have met Brian Coley, who was a good friend of my family and a great manager. Also Karen Labrum, who took over when he retired.

Hi Vaughan,

Yes, you are spot on, yes, very significant! Their service was first class! Alan Johnson a real gent. Dave Pipe at Astons was so helpful too. With regards to your old stomping ground, we did indeed meet Brian, but more so Karen, who thankfully moved to Stalham when Thorpe closed. She made sure we were well looked after at Thorpe, a lovely lady to deal with. ALL the staff there could never do enough for us. Happy days :)

cheersIain

• Like 3

Hi Vaughan

Like Iain we where always loyal to the Boatyards rather than the craft

Starting back in 1966 with Jack Powles for many years then again like Iain Porter and Haylett and onto Summercraft when Dick run the yard a real gentlemen. Over the years for early and late holidays though we used many yards including Astons, Hearts and Brooms

In recent years Swancraft who have now closed so not sure where now, I do like  starting and primarily cruising the Southern Broads these days

Ray

• Like 2

I so agree with Ray, it is the boat yards and not just the Boats. My parents nearly always hire from Richardsons, I have pretty much done the same, although we have ventured further afield with Alpha Craft, Sandersons and Herbert Woods but always seem to come back to Rickos. I remember a few years back trying to hire Royal Commander from Royalls, she was fully booked for the following two summers, was told that hirers come straight off their holidays and book her again immediately, now that's loyalty.

Health willing I would like to try the smaller yards like Freedom, Pacific etc, rather then head for the bigger yards all the time, maybe try South a bit more. Jaws did warn me once that there be Dragons in the South, Dragons don't scare me, Jaws :hiding: not much, anyway lol

Grace

• Like 5

Hi Griff

Yes Hired Nos 4 and 6 also Star Tracker 1 (I think we hired that three times) Star Magna Super Star (Twice) Star Victor and of course Rippling Foam the first boat we went on.

We took Star Tracker 1 out on its maiden voyage after coming back from the London Boat Show scared for the whole fortnight in case we marked it.

I think nowdays I agree with Gracie and will try and support the smaller yards I have hired from Pacific once and hopefully will do again shortly.

Gracie Ignore all the scare mongers they are only trying to keep you away is peaceful and calm down south try it.

Ray  

• Like 1

Ray, I have been South many times, both as a child with my parents and taken my own kids. I think the South has a completely different vibe to North but just as beautiful all the same, quieter and more tranquil, a two week hire is ideal, you then get the best of both although we have done both in a week which is ideal if you love to cruise a lot. As for Dragons and Southern Mariners eating babies, I know it's all nonsense and they are just trying to keep us away, I reckon they move the posts on Breydon to get us pesky hirers stuck on the mud :naughty: Not got the t/shirt on that one, thank goodness

Grace

• Like 2

Hi Griff

I was aware they where "B A's" sisters I remember they yard Foreman there telling us how they had built up the class at the time I do not think he was a GRP fan. They are great boats and would be one of my choices if buying a boat.

The Magna's and Victor's I think where the same mould just more berths if they where then B A has quite few sisters or half sisters around.

Gracie

I agree North and South are both great and different like you I do not have the Breydon t/shirt and do not want it

always treat Breydon with great respect watch the tides and time passage

Ray  

• Like 1

Vaughan, your tales about Hearts made good reading.

I'm loyal to Richardsons at the moment, partly because of the service they give and partly because no-one can match them for value for money, especially when you take the loyalty scheme into account. I particularly like hiring from their Horizon Acle yard which has a really friendly vibe from the staff. I wish the Acle yard had capacity for a few more boats because I often (as per this year) end up going from Stalham because that's where the boat I want is located. Then I have to make do with starting the cruise on the upper Ant, what a terrible hardship! And yes I love the south too and usually head that way for part of the week (I like to get the cruising hours in, what's a boat for?!).

• Like 2

Before building WR, our loyalty had been to Ripplecraft where we were made welcome for several years by a Mr Rushmere??? Because father ended up buying a built and we subsequently moved to Horning, there wasn't the opportunity to hire boats for that many years unlike some contributors. Having said that my father with my mother and before that with his father hired yachts between the first and second world wars.

My memories of Hearts are mostly from the Pennant Holidays years in the 80s to early 90s and then in the Richardsons group til they closed. I hired from there once in 1989 (through Pennants). In those years their craft were on the basic side but wow what brilliant value they were. I was still a teenager in 1989 and booked that boat (Fiesta, a Safari 25) after saving money from a saturday job!

We hired a number of times from Anchorcraft at Acle, a great boatyard where we were always well looked after. We still see 2 of their boats out and about now, in private hands of course. Herbert Woods had our business a number of times and we now own a boat that once, way back, belonged to the Woods stable. Royalls were brilliant and still are I believe. I always look at boats similar to those we hired to see if they are the ones and now in private hands.

The very first boat we hired was from R Smith at Brundall. We travelled most of the network in the 9 days we were on board and got totally hooked! ( Know the feeling?) About 5 days out, something happened below decks and we noticed we had started taking on water. In those days it was a manual bilge pump and we had to pump away until the owners arrived to sort the problem. When they got there, the water was about an inch from the floorboards. We had managed to struggle to Southgates at Horning luckily and repairs were done within a few hours. On our way again although I did keep checking regularly to make sure no more water was comimg in! That was our Broads baptism!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

We always had great affection for Lionel Ponder and his team at Moores... so much so, it was natural that when we moved from hiring to owning, we bought one of their craft from them.  Even after that, that extra human touch was always there eg: Lionel going on board to take covers off and put the webasto heating on, a couple of hours before we arrived - all free of charge.   Sadly those days have gone, but we still have the memories. 

I also have great affection for boats we have hired previously (eg: Fair Ambassador 3... if you saw my other post, you will realise why !), but also great sadness when you see a once well maintained hire boat is a state of total neglect in private ownership...  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

it was natural that when we moved from hiring to owning, we bought one of their craft from them.  

You may also have noticed that the next but one to you is also an ex-Moores boat bought for the same reason!

We are moored against you, so a bit like a Moores sandwich with a Sheerline filling!:naughty:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/02/2016 at 10:30 PM, BroadAmbition said:

Boatingman - You ever hire any of the 'Star Supremes' from Jack 

HI I'm new to this forum but as you can see from my profile pic (albeit not very clear) 'StarMagna' Has a special place in my heart... 

We have been going to the broads since I was knee high to a grasshopper and are due to visit again next week this time hiring from Martham 

I love the classics and although I think one member of our crew would rather have had a more modern cruiser he has let me indulge my passion for the 'oldies'

We have owned our own narrow beam cruiser a 26" 'Buckingham' from around 1976 so it's quite different when you get on board a 40ft x 12ft

11 minutes ago, Jenkins said:

HI I'm new to this forum but as you can see from my profile pic (albeit not very clear) 'StarMagna' Has a special place in my heart... 

We have been going to the broads since I was knee high to a grasshopper and are due to visit again next week this time hiring from Martham 

I love the classics and although I think one member of our crew would rather have had a more modern cruiser he has let me indulge my passion for the 'oldies'

We have owned our own narrow beam cruiser a 26" 'Buckingham' from around 1976 so it's quite different when you get on board a 40ft x 12ft

Hi Jenkins,

Welcome to the NBN Forum :wave Do introduce yourself in the http://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com/forum/18-new-members-say-hi/

cheersIain