Whoaaa ... Anglia Afloat?

ExMemberBobdog

:clap  BowWave, please do stay on the forum and keep us updated on the idea of a new magazine. I subscribed to AA for a number of years and will miss it, so an alternative will be most welcome.  I for one wish you the greatest success.  Regards Alan.  cheersbar  :wave

• Like 2

Delayed :wave  and welcome from me too cheers... this forum is a friendly forum and all us on here aim to help and support anything broads related (and even beyond).. I know sad aren't we! Please do feel welcomed our intentions are only for the better and I'm sure you will see lots of support for your project if you go ahead with it.. don't forget our first look though!  :pirate

• Like 1

Hello Bow Wave!

Interesting that you are considering an online version. You may be aware that there is already a more general boating online mag called "Motorboat Owner". I find this works very well and also appears to be well supported with advertising. Long may it survive and best of luck in your own efforts!

Just to keep you all abreast of my progress...

I have arranged some 'general purpose' social media pages for 'Bow Wave Media' on Facebook, Twitter and Vimeo. Although I haven't managed to populate much content there is at least some there for you to see so please pop along and 'follow' if you feel the urge ;-)

I will confirm with you all, as soon as possible, when I am able to proceed with a publication.

• Like 2

I agree with the comments about Anglia Afloat , it gradually shifted from interesting Broads and boating content for all pockets, to a marine flavoured version of Archant's sister publication "Norfolk".

Full of who's who photos at parties and regattas, and commercial adverts disguised as reviews.

It leaves only  Practical Boat Owner for people who like wielding paintbrushes and other tools, now that MBM has gone too.

Strowager, amen to that.

For a review to be credible it has to be genuine and honest, in the end I sincerely believe that that is the only way forward. Punters are perhaps more savvy than the redundant editor gave them credit for.

By the way, Wooden Boat is great for folk who like wielding paint brushes!

I have subscribed to Watercraft for a number of years. It is a low circulation very practical magazine for wooden boat lovers and builders. Run from the Helford River by Pete Greenfield one of the founders of Classic Boat it has a loyal following and keeps going year after year. It is all about small boats and I have never seen a copy on sale anywhere so a niche mag can work.

We have a GRP motor boat and a small sailing dinghy/tender I enjoy taking on practical projects, despite limited DIY skills. The only publication that remotely meets my needs is PBO and I am a subscriber. The magazine is heavily sail oriented and seems to be centred around the South coast and Scottish islands to a large extent. As a result, much of it goes well beyond my sphere of interest. Some of the technical articles are also downright geeky - I consider that the use of lasers to align prop shafts is beyond most people's skill set (or interest for that matter). 

There has to be a market for a publication that is aimed at the practical boater, both motor and sail, covering mini-projects, seasonal tips, informative articles on places of interest, boatyard blogs, local history, exploration of little-known waterways and reviews of new and used boats to name but a few. I am far less interested in who won which sailing regatta, articles that stretch the definition of "Anglia" reports on yacht club and trade association dinners and the like. I think that, at its best, Anglia Afloat met many of my needs, but it seems, sadly,  to have lost its way over the last few years.

AA, the ball is in your court. Good luck!.

cheers

• Like 2

Stowy,you bought back memories there of getting the plans for a Light Craft Nomad cruiser ,I am sure that was its name ? But never got further than looking at them and dreaming ,but eventually got a boat ,and still have ,but I think that sowed the seeds for me together with Coot Club to spend the last 40 or so years boating.I wonder how many Nomads got built and has any one seen one.

Light Craft, blinkin' 'eck, Strow, didn't that do an AA style dive some fifty plus years ago!

Strangely enough I bought the complete run of Light Craft, all in neat bindings, for 50p at a car boot a few years ago. Got to say that the reality didn't meet memory. Not much interest when I put them on e-bay. Sold them to a dealer in the end. Found the records of speedboat racing on Oulton Broad interesting.

There has to be a market for a publication that is aimed at the practical boater, both motor and sail, covering mini-projects, seasonal tips, informative articles on places of interest, boatyard blogs, local history, exploration of little-known waterways and reviews of new and used boats to name but a few.

You are in luck Steve. It's called the NBN.