Whoaaa ... Anglia Afloat?

ExMemberBobdog

It is interesting how the magazine has endeavoured to be 'all things to all men (and women)' but ends up not entirely satisfying anybody.  Reading through some of the above critical comments, along the lines of 'too much of this and not enough of that', I've been thinking 'well actually I think there's too much of that and not enough of this'.  Nonetheless, although I only ever found about 50% of the magazine really addressed the issues/themes I am most interested in, I shall miss my regular 'fix'.

• Like 1

I do agree with you BowWave with regards to the aspects of online publications.

I have all the East Coast Sailing mags and Motor Boat Owner downloaded to my tablet but they are only really accessed as "waiting room" reading which unfortunately I have had a lot of in recent times.

I shall miss AA and in particular John Worrals articles whether historical or geographical. I had the pleasure of meetin him at the Jaguar E Type 50th anniversary at Cromer which he was phtographing.

• Like 1

My take on matters is – take this Forum, to most individuals out there this would be of absolutely no interest whatever – but its members is very important from information, news and help.

However the information that is posted here is community based – there is no editorial team, no advertising executives nobody going around getting stories no photographer to take the pictures – there is in short nobody one to pay and everybody contributes - it is self sustaining.

Have a magazine in print costs money, having the people who write the articles, sell the ads and so on and how the majority of money is raised is through advertising, but advertisers want more and more for less and less they also have a keen eye on circulation numbers and as that falls so the advertisers lose their loyalty. 

In niche areas it is very much a cliff edge between it working or failing.  I used to have two competing local Newspapers – one closed and the other went free, now that too has gone – look at how thin Yellow Pages is these days too.

I don’t think it is about giving the readers what they want because your never please everybody all of the time it is people have got used to getting vast ranges of information on topics that interest them – for free, online.

Digital ‘turn page’ magazines I think are awful on a computer and can only really work on a tablet and often then through a dedicated App.  But you’ve still got the same sort of people behind the scenes needing to publish the ‘digital’ copy, but now have to worry about App developers to keep things going with the latest revisions to the operating system on Android or Apple devices and of course still reliant upon advertising revenue.

What could be done? 

Well you could effectively run an online 'video magazine' with a couple of people – a presenter and someone with good knowledge of cameras – a weekly ‘magazine show’ on You Tube instead of going out and taking a few photos and writing up an article, film a little and do an interview – let us say it was with Haynes and a new class of boat they were building.

Get them to sponsor the video and the following 10 with an advert pre run at the beginning with a click through to their site - or an offer for example.

Of course you’d also be a You Tube Partner so as viewers grew revenue increased and have a static website where the videos were posted (disable them being able to embedded elsewhere and made as a 'only people with the link' can view) thus people have to come to the website to watch – where upon around the video page one could have relevant sponsor adverts from local companies and Google run general advertising banners etc.

If the likes of this Forum (and others) can get a lot of page views a month, then something like the above may be able to as well and of course it would work on everything from a phone to a computer with minimal staff costs to produce the actual content.  Naturally no large publication company would sanction this, the returns simply would not be large enough or happen soon enough but for the smaller market it may work.

• Like 2

In answer to your post Soundings - those magazines cover only one discipline whereas Anglia Afloat covers everything from canoes through to seven figure motor and sailing cruisers. And those magazines certainly don't survive by their readership alone. I know because Archant publishes Canal Boat.
The advertising revenues from companies who sell these types of products is necessary, which in turn means that there is also a requirement for mutual editorial support towards those businesses. this clearly doesn't appeal to everyone.
As we will never be able to appeal to all the readers all the time, we in fact set out to offer a range of content to appeal to a broad spectrum of readers/boaters.
Folk are always more swift to criticize than offer praise now what the subject matter, service or product - which is why I have specifically steered clear of any forums for so long. Broads boaters generally don't want to read about anything apart from the Broads, and coastal boaters don't want to read about inland boating. Our task has been/is very, very difficult!!!

• Like 1

But magazines like Waterways World survive as does Canal and Riverboat. It is the content that attracts the readers and AA sadly lacks in that dept.

I had this very same conversation with an AA editor who took great offence, was actually quite angry, at my implied criticism. However, methinks that time has proven me right. There really wasn't and isn't any interest in impractical, useless boating fashions designed for forepeak floosies, occasional motorists afloat and poop deck poseurs for example. The whole thing appeared to me to have been written to attract advertisers, understandable, but regretfully not readers, not so understandable.

It could & should have worked, with another Maurice Griffiths as editor, a hero to East Coast sailors of or beyond a certain age!

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more. The Archant 'Glossies' - at least the ones I'm familiar with appear to be written increasingly for their avertisers than their subscribers/ readers.

What has apparently escaped the notice of their management is that without readers...... well, go figure!

In answer to your post Soundings - those magazines cover only one discipline whereas Anglia Afloat covers everything from canoes through to seven figure motor and sailing cruisers. 

So what is this single discipline BowWave? Either way there is imho no discipline in AA as it carries very little meaningful content, not that interests me as a boater - it might if I were a dentist though  :smile:  It really is a clone of Norfolk Magazine and that is pretty poor stuff also; personally I much prefer Norfolk and Suffolk Life (or is it Suffolk an Norfolk, JM?)

Bow Wave, trying to please the widest possible readership really isn't the answer, as AA's demise has proven. All that happens is that none of the target readership is satiated because 9/10ths of the editorial and 7/10ths of the advertising is irrelevant to their boating. Personally my boating is both salt and freshwater, sometimes by canoe and sometimes by sail, even the odd power-boat ride, but an excess of the wonderful world of glittering, slick bling-boats is a major turn-off for me, best left to Motor Boat & Yachting & Lottery Winners Weekly.

@Soundings IMHO personal attacks are poor form and add nothing meaningful to this discussion. Single discipline means that they only cover narrow boats.

If you believe that AA does only cater for those of the deepest pockets, 'forepeak floosies, occasional motorists afloat and poop deck poseurs' then may I draw your attention to our WWI features we have run throughout this year, focus features on some of the region's waterways, marine security features, event reports and galleries covering local events attended and organised by local boaters.
​I am not naive enough to believe we get enough right, but I do believe we are doing somethings right... now.

rather than dwell on the past I would like to ask members what they would like to see if another title were to be produced - not general headline comments but specific stories or features. 

• Like 2

In fairness to me, Bow Wave, I did actually write earlier that AA was getting better, but then Archant has chosen to pull the plug! I have actually bought AA three times in the last year, when there has been sufficient editorial interest.

Not so much what I would like to see, more a case of what I don't want to see. Unknown faces at unknown club dinners, fashions, more than one article per edition on Bling Boats, restaurant reviews (of which I could tell you a tale or two) and property reviews. Other than that, a pretty broad church of boating related interest would suit me just fine. In a nutshell an interesting East Coast boating magazine. I stress the word, boating, followed closely by those of East Coast and interesting.

@Soundings IMHO personal attacks are poor form and add nothing meaningful to this discussion. Single discipline means that they only cover narrow boats.

Bow Wave I never personally attacked you and if you took it that way I am sorry. I genuinely wanted to know what this single discipline is for whilst both those mags might focus on the thin stuff mainly (and increasingly on wide) they do extend beyond that. There are even articles on the Broads and overseas waterways. In any event a single(ish) focus is no bad thing from the business plan point of view - its called knowing your readership. Perhaps AA would have been better off had it been more single minded and focussed on the middle class boater rather than the elite. Is that perhaps a basis for any future publication - one aimed at the "ordinary Joe Broads boater" with more technical and grass roote discussion?

JennyMorgan I truly thank you and all others who have supported AA - particularly the three you have bought this year! :-)

Would it surprise you if I told you that we haven't run a property review for almost 5 years... We haven't run a restaurant review in the past 4 years or so... To my knowledge we have only ever published one fashion feature in the past 6 years (but it certainly seems to have stuck in readers minds!!!). I'm not being very accurate with those figures but I know that there is a general perception of AA that isn't necessarily a true reflection of what we currently publish.

I have made a very personal effort over the past 2 years to attend events up, down and across the region to ensure that we have a broad spread of content.

I am not being facetious when I say this... but I wouldn't expect a Broads forum to want anything other than Broads content. What I would truly like to read though, is an understanding that inland/Broads content alone does not make a printed magazine sustainable.

I would like to hear your ideas and thoughts on potential content/features as I am considering whether to publish my own mag.

• Like 1

I second Peter (JennyMorgan).. there really arent many clubs and not many boaters belong to clubs.. so we aren't interested in clubs. (I'm a member of a club here on the medway and don't follow them either!).  I also don't like reading magazines on a tablet or pc.. I work in IT and spend far too long on my laptop..

I like features such as; new boat reviews (but river boats really not sea boats.. the odd sea boat review is a nice to see but not frequently) motorboat owner do a good job at reviewing older boats which is really interesting as the majority of broads owners aren't bling boat owners.. so to read about older boats, which is probably what we will invest in one day, is a better idea...(they have a freeman 23 write up this month!) Things like local business insight (like a behind the scenes of broadland businesses).  Pub reviews would be interesting (anywhere between medway and north norfolk - We've been to a few anyway but still!! ;) ).   I do enjoy reading about new toys but only cheap ones (We don't need plotters!) and things that will really help me.. (Cookers, loo reviews etc.. things we may upgrade over time), I also enjoy reading about distant places as there is more to the east coast but don't make it the biggest feature. General broads/East coast news (although it needs to be up to date).. insights into Broadsbeat and the BA would be interesting.. also hireboat news would probably be interesting (New hire boats reviews)..I like the mishaps photos in pbo and MBO.. what's coming up, what can I do when I'm up next (a bit like broadcaster which is always an interesting read).. what happened reviews (Horning boat show review etc).. good old competitions...

Things on this forum which are popular are things like wayford bridges blog, insights into Clive Richardsons boat builds, (restoration projects  :shocked)...

Clearly there's lots you guys could be doing... I think you can make it if you tried again.. there is a gap at the moment for the average (motor)boater (Motorboat owner is good although it has little in there about Norfolk and it's electronic).. PBO is too sailey now and I don't want to know (No offence!).. the other motorboat mags are full of gym palaces and I'm not interested either)...  I'll stop typing now :)

• Like 3

I have subscribed to AA for a few years now and always looked forward to reading it.

But...And it's a big but.....What interests me I can read in less than half-an-hour.

I agree with Alan above on most of his post.

There's the old saying:- You can't please all the people all of the time.

Pleasing some of the people all of the time may work better in a smaller magazine?

I wrote on the NBF that I believed that coverage of new builds by say, Barnes Brinkcraft

of their new Rhapsody, done in stages, would give Barnes a bit of free publicity and

let the readership know what is now becoming the trend on the Broads.

Len Funnell and Richardson's are doing the same with new builds and there must also

be good stories from them, plus others.

Encourage the readership to send in stories of their boating experiences with maybe

a small payment in return for their effort. Maybe a years free subscription.

There are enough members on these forums to come up with ideas for the mag so

maybe avoiding 'forum's' might not be such a good thing after all.

Just my humble opinion. 

I'll miss the magazine for sure.

• Like 2

"maybe avoiding 'forum's' might not be such a good thing after all."

I think that is a valid point Bill, by the way I have always liked your little saying "The older I get, the better I was."  That is so true, I am now of the age that when goalkeeping I was asked to stop because I never let a goal in!! :liar :liar :P

• Like 1

BowWave wants to know what people would like to read in a boating magazine!  Good for you for trying to find out. I'll come back on this with some suggestions in a moment, after I've covered a couple of other things you've said.

You say you have avoided forums on the subject. That's a pity as not only would you have been able to add some high quality input, but in return you would have come across the things I'm going to mention in a moment.

I disagree with some of the comments or criticisms made about what is not wanted, the occasional article on what today's "deck floosie" is wearing is quite welcome, as is the odd review of 24 carrot floating  bling, however what is really wanted is balance!

What about a series of articles called "I had £1000 and wanted to buy a 2nd hand boat. Then £2500 followed by £5000 etc. Show people what sort of boat can be purchased with what sort of money and what problems they are likely to run into.

After people have bought a boat they will find the faults and want to know which ones they can deal with and which ones need the professional touch, so a DIY article or two for boat restoration.Just one article per issue mind, you don't want to over do it!

Test reports on boat fridges, boat cookers, life jackets,fenders and anchors etc. would be handy as well as articles on what sort/size ropes should be used for what.

Yes the odd review on restaurants accessible by boat and reviews of chandlers too.

While you're wondering what else you might include in your magazine, perhaps a readers questions page, where a reader might ask how to do something and your journalists find an expert  and get the best answers./ Of course a letters page might be handy for both the reader and yourself for ideas.

A quick fishing report section isn't entirely irrelevant to the area's boating public, that might lead to charter boats advertising in the mag.

Anyway, I must go now, got to cook the dinner, Sorry I couldn't think of anything for you to write about, I went quite blank!  :)

• Like 6

In fairness to AA, I think the bigger magazines are patchy too in terms of interest to me. I read PBO every month. There are a few columns I always read, Dave Selby being first call. :) the amount of advertising is huge of course, and new boat reviews are not something I read. I sometimes consider cancelling my subscription but I hang on anyway. :)

• Like 1

Would it surprise you if I told you that we haven't run a property review for almost 5 years... We haven't run a restaurant review in the past 4 years or so... To my knowledge we have only ever published one fashion feature in the past 6 years (but it certainly seems to have stuck in readers minds!!!).

Probably about the last time I had a subscription! It is true that I have probably bought more editions in the last twelve months than I have in the last three or four years.

Re BowWave producing his own mag, I wish him well. Possibly easier to attract readers to a new magazine than it is to tempt them back to an old, failed one.

I have absolutely no doubts that the East Coast and East Coast Rivers have the resources to fill the pages of a quality magazine. The biggest problem will be, I suspect, in attracting advertisers. AA had a boat show at Oulton Broad last year, plenty of punters but just how many sales I wonder? Will it happen again? Lowestoft used to have a boat show, advertisers soon learned that it was a waste of their money.

No, I don't know the answer but I do know that I like a darn good read.

• Like 1

BowWave,

Welcome from me too.

I've no doubt that you will have plenty of criticism on the forum, but I'm equally sure that it will be constructive, as it comes from members who have a combined knowledge of hundreds of years of the broads and boating. Good luck with which ever way you go.

• Like 1