2015 London Boat Show

LondonRascal

I went down and set up Broadsman yesterday...

Broadsman is a big boat, but looks rather small against all that lot. Long gone are the days when Sunseekers biggest boat was a 23ft weekender, and sealine made a 19ft and 22ft weekender. I remember going to Earls Court in the 70s when a 45 footer was probably the biggest boat there, but now Broadsman looks very small indeed (i mean no offence either Clive).

Something else i always used to look at in the 70s boatshows was the hovercraft stand, with quite a few exibits. I have`nt seen one at any of the shows now for more than 30 years.

• Like 3

Something else i always used to look at in the 70s boatshows was the hovercraft stand, with quite a few exibits. I have`nt seen one at any of the shows now for more than 30 years.

There were a couple of small hovercraft next to our stand last year, no idea if they ae back this year though.

We booked our Boat Show tickets some time ago and the show is getting closer, but we still have not received our tickets. Has anyone received their tickets yet  :shocked ?

Regards

Marina   :Stinky

If its Ticketmaster who are the agents, they are always slow in sending tickets out.

xmas6 Iain.

Pricey, maybe, but professionalism & the right gear costs money. I have seen some appalling outfits being used when attempting to shift boats on the cheap. There is a cruiser in a local boatyard for repair after inadequate spreaders were used, the hull and deck having been split close to a bulkhead. 

We used to love the boat show in the days when it was held in Earl's Court. My dad used to drive us down from Yorkshire in his mini van, back in the 60's. . We would set off very early in the morning, park up somewhere near the end of the Northern Line and then proceed to the show via a circuitous tube journey, arriving between 10 and 11 am.  We would typically stay until around 6 pm, before journeying back into central London, laden with leaflets and good ideas, for a meal and then the long drive home, arriving at around 1pm. 

Now, living 50 or so miles from the present venue, I could be wrong but I don't think I would bother to go, based on the reports I have heard on the show, as presently constituted.

cheersbar

Steve

Like you, Steve, we used to go to the show at Earl's Court. We'd go go by train which, by the time it arrived at Liverpool Street, was crammed with week-end sailors, many of which looked as if they had been onboard for a month long cruise and had modelled for a Giles Boat Show cartoon. Great atmosphere, often meeting folk that we had met somewhere or other during the summer. The infamous Guinness stands were a great draw! During the evening we would do a show before climbing aboard the last train home. Great memories. 

Yeah, that`s spot on Peter.  It always makes me laugh when you see people turn up in sailing gear, only to look around the fasion stands, and hog the Guness bar for the rest of the day. I always used to barge my way through the Guiness crowds, as they always blocked the walkway. Serves them right if i spilt their beer, it`s supposed to be a boat show is`nt it?. If you want to sup beer, go to the pub and allow visitors a free run to the boats.

As for the idiots who walk around the show in sailing gear, just as pathetic as the people who get out of their cars in motorcycle leathers etc, AND, they even take their crash helmets out of the boot, and carry them round the motorcycle show.

Sad pathetic individuals all of them.

Kingsley bought our boat from Yorkshire during some terrible weather some years back,a great bloke.Earles Court was the best show in its time,from that long walk from the underground with people speeding up as they got near the end of that tunnel.the harbour was always an attraction with boats afloat and got me in the mood to be ready and get boating in the Spring You never really knew if you had seen it all with all the twists and turns especially upstairs with stalls in every corner.Good times !

• Like 2

I was setting up our stand on Monday and I'm back down again from Thursday morning until Saturday lunchtime.

Not sure if it's just me but there seems to be more boats there than the last few year plus they have not partitoned the hall.

I may not be on the stand much as our dealers do most of the work.  But, as we are very close to the Sunseeker stand it would be rude not to be there around midday for this - http://www.mby.com/news/nicole-scherzinger-sunseeker-predator-57-launch-44171

• Like 3

Both myself and Watty will be going there either wednesday or thursday next week.... with a bit of luck might get double pocket money allowance from the Mrs..... going to make a point of testing how many pints it takes to get around the show   cheers

It could be my failing memory, but In my day I think they would have been draped all over the boats in their little bikinis. The 1970's were a different country.

That ugly git on the last slide was a bit of a shock to the eyes.

cheers

Steve