Windows 8.1 Updates...

BroadScot

I expect they're just clearing the decks in preparation for the imminent urgent version 10.1

You've got to admire Microsoft.

Half the world's population pay for the privilege of being Beta testers.

...and Bill Gates is again the richest man in the World.

Gates' net worth is now $76 billion, according to Forbes, having risen $9 billion in the last year. Gates bumped Mexican telecoms magnate Carlos Slim Helu off the top spot, which Gates has held for 15 of the last 20 years.

Well having just "upgraded" to Office 2013, which seems to have all the features of Office 2007 but harder to find, and without the nice clear screen layouts and intuitive navigation, I will put this one off as long as possible.

:pirate

Steve

I use Apache Open Office, its free! Mr Gates aint getting anymore money off me for a while....I hope! :norty:

cheers Iain.

I'm with Iain on this one...The only 'professional' software I use that is not open source is 3Ds Max and Maya and they only remain as there is not a suitable open source replacement (Blender is there but it has some serious flaws still). Everything else from scripts, to editing the final movie/effect is done via open source. As for Windows 8...what a pile of useless garbage. Almost as bad as Apple...almost. Best days work I ever did was throwing the Apple Macs in the skip. Reduced the amount of IT support required by two thirds. 

• Like 1

Being a bit of a dinosaur myself, I understand little of what you speak.

I'm running Windows 7, and Microsoft XP (which I purchased at enormous cost back in 2001 )

I'm still very happy with both!

I knew you were a wise man! You can keep the Frankenstein and Grrr but where's me gold?

Windows 7 and office 2003 at home and XP and office 2003 at work.

Getting used to it all, but bring back MSDOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 oh for the days when computers just worked without any problems and servers remained up for years rather than months without issues.

Luddite at heart and the hammer ready for use :naughty:

Regards

Alan 

I use XP on desktop and 8.1 on this lap top I am typing this on. I prefer my old XP and just use the lap top for email, browsing and catching up on news etc. because it is portable and can take it anywhere.

The question is. What will Windows 10 be like?  Windows 7 was better than the useless Vista, but then Microsoft cocked up again with Windows 8. 

Due to my laptop running 7 giving up the ghost last month and could only get another 7pro with not all the specs required ended up getting top HP touch screen with win 8.1. After playing with it in store and a totally against win 8 after getting my mother it. The guy showed me the desktop button which but it back to running like win7 (sorted). Still find it hard to use the touch screen it's just not right lol.

Things missing are the screen scroll on mouse pad instead it flicks round screens (alt-tabs for that).So a normal user should get by with win 8.1 now. I've not checked out win 10 yet.

So just typed this on a replacement lappy for the one died above having putting my drive in it loving win 7.

? what are the big green ticks for on your files in music etc Not worked it out yet in win 8.1

Best upgrade in passed few years is USB 3 for transfer speed.

I think it's an age thing, the younger generation swear by 8.1, more mature persons seem to prefer XP. 8.1 hs many great features which may not appeal to everyone, many of them based around todays digital lifestyle.

I use Apache Open Office

I too use open office as I have managed to lose the media disk for MSO 2007 and despite still having the license key am finding it almost impossible to get a replacement so hence open office but .... load a workbook with plenty of stacked calculations and a few pivot tables and it just can't cope.

my laptop (2008 vintage) is still on vista, though I really need to clean out the programs that run on startup as it can take 10 mins to boot up, other machines - 2x XP, 1x Linux and 1 windows 7, plus a couple of other laptops and desktops handed down to me for spares.

software - open office, libreoffice, both do the job, libreoffice started out as open office but diverged, and has been updated more than open office, though I do have office 2007 on a couple of machines. oh and an android tablet , which I cant remember what I loaded to open office files.

Grendel

Like Siddy, I have my windows 8 Laptop (now updated to 8.1) running like windows 7, from the desktop. Mine is a HP Pavilion g6 model with top end  Radeon Graphics card, (2 years old now) so it can be used for some high spec games. Most laptops come with internal graphic cards.  It doesn't have the touch screen facility, just the touch pad, but I find this annoying, so I use a plug in mouse with scroll wheel, this is much easier to work with and much quicker than messing about with the touch pad, although the touch pad can still be used whilst the plug in mouse is connected. 

• Like 1

Just a note if you've unlucky in losing a machine, I contacted HP online when setting the new lappy up and while on I asked where I could get my DV7 repaired, I was asked if I'd bought this as a replacement - yes. They have a replacement program and I've just got £125 back into my account. I didn't think this was bad as the dead lappy was 4-5 years old.