Why is it so Special?

Gracie

Gracie, I've tried answering this a few times, but I can't.. I dunno why its special, it just is??!! I also don't quite understand why it's so different being on a boat compared to staying in a hotel and visiting by land yacht.. but it just is :) Perhaps there's something in the water? cheers (12days #18thapril).

HI Geoff (Geoffandwendy), You will not get a full taste of even the northern system in a week. I know I'm still a newbie to the broads (I think I had 10 years up there before having a break!) but I've only just found new places last year and I know there's places I've still not been (even by car) and still not overnighted. I think this is one draw which keeps us coming back year after year! So don't worry you will have plenty time when you come back to visit the southern side because you will be back!! (which is 10x better than the north! - There are some seriously good pubs down there!)..

cheers

• Like 5

A

Hi

I've been coming boating on the broads since the early 80s an am still finding new places and think I always will.

Geoff & Wendy you have a lot to look forward to

cheers enjoy

David

Early 70's for me David, and thousands or driving miles and cars, later! lol It has always amazed me, no matter how many times we have done the trip, the excitement of seeing the boat you have hired at the yard, gets the holiday spirit into top gear! :dance

cheers Iain.

• Like 4

My regular jaunt up to the Broads always used to be the A12, but now coming from Dorset, we join the M25 from the west, so it`s M11 / A11 these days. But whenevr we got to Blyghburgate on the A12 where we turn for beccles, i always got that exciting feeling of bein "nearly there", and when we got to Beccles, it was always a stop, and a walk along the quay looking at the boats and the river, and i swear i could virtually feal the stress and anguish of everyday life just melting away.  The only way i can describe it is to say "it gets in your blood", and leaving to come home was always very upsetting. The worst part of the journey home was when we used to go over the top of Swanscombe cutting on the A2, as i was almost home, and back to reality, though i suppose when we exited the tunnell, and later the bridge, my mood used to change too.

• Like 2

When I first came, I lived in Scotland and an 8 or 9 hour drive was worth it. Then I lived in London and a 3 or 4 hour drive  was worth it. Now, if all the planes are on time, a 19 or 20 hour journey is worth it AND I WOULDN'T CHANGE IT FOR THE WORLD. The broads is indeed a very special place.

• Like 8

What more can I add I have been on the broads since the 60s,it always changes and yet it does not,how can that be.Seasons change things,and yet it seems the  people are great you can go into a pub and feel welcome.Sadly at home I don't feel that welcome.The broads  has the affect of making you feel wanted.

So Geoff and Wendy,when you feel right go south,let us know perhaps we can meet up.

Ian 

• Like 2

We brought a boat down from Beccles tonight, mist on the water, magic in itself but the whole ethereal experience was lifted by the huge, orange moon that rose from out of the marshes, awesome. 

No pics JM? :cry

cheers Iain

A time exposure from a moving boat? Actually, two of us are keen photographers but both had left our cameras at home, typical, and the snaps taken with mobile phones were pretty dire. To be honest none of us had expected anything like the conditions that we were privileged to enjoy, something of a surprise.

• Like 1

To be honest none of us had expected anything like the conditions that we were privileged to enjoy, something of a surprise.

That's something else thats special, the element of surprise......you never know what's round the next bend

• Like 4

It must be the time of the year! Lynn, my wife, woke me up at about a quarter to six this morning. She was looking out of the bedroom window, there was another magical sight! The almost full moon was in a clear sky yet the mist level was just below our bedroom window. Trees poked out of the mist which was illuminated by the moon, eery or what! 

• Like 3

Why is it so Special? Well a week on Friday my drive up to Norfolk will be a different drive, because this time after 6 seasons / years of driving to Brundall, I will be driving to Loddon / Chedgrave and doing my shopping in Beccles.

The A 143 the Great Yarmouth road has many memories for us as a family :lineup: . When Alan (JawsOrca) and his sister were younger, we had horse drawn caravan holidays in and around Norfolk and Suffolk. A little different from boating and cruising the Broad. How little did we know then how we, well most of us would return to the area and feel how much love it gives us  :love  :love . It is not only the places, but also the people  :clap .

Roll on a week Friday and cruising on Saturday down to meet up with Alan and Dave  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: .

Regards

Marina   :Stinky

• Like 4

The big Norfolk skies. Early summer mornings, mug of tea, watching the world drift by. Spending the busier months on the quieter Southern broads and then the Northern broads out of main season when the rivers are quieter. Warm evenings sat on the bank with a fishing rod and a glass of Shiraz, hoping the fish won't be too much of a nuisance.

There are still a few places which take me back to my first Broads holidays in the 50s and 60s; sat outside the New Inn, Horning watching the comings and goings at the boatyard next door; seeing a Martham boat passing Potter Heigham bridge; the boatyard and moorings at Sutton Staithe; casual mooring on the tree-lined sections of the Ant.

Roy

• Like 6

The one special thing I miss, is sitting at the Bridge Inn at Potter Heigham watching the Pilots earn their candy taking the boats through in the time period that was available to them. It sure was busy in those days! 

cheers Iain.

• Like 2

The huge skies make you forget all the stresses from places that have smaller skies. Waking up to the gentle rock of the boat. Deciding where to go and what to do each day, and then where to spend that night, and where you are going to eat. The sparkle on the water, and the happy atmosphere amongst fellow boaters, all nodding, knowing you share a secret. Stopping at places that you have passed before, and finding out what you have missed. Getting blaise about wildlife because you are now part of it. And cutting up sailies. pirate

• Like 4

We are going to be proper live-aboard "river-gipsies" in the next couple of years (can't wait!), and were chatting the other day... even when we live on a narrowboat we will STILL go to the broads on holiday! (sad or wot?!)

There is a certain quality to the light, the huge skies, the dalliance with tidal waters, the isolation if you want it, the friendly Norfolk welcome if you don't! Mud-weighting overnight, watching the wildlife... I know the BA aren't perfect - but overall i think the broads have been pretty well-managed..

cheersbar

• Like 9

We are going to be proper live-aboard "river-gipsies" in the next couple of years (can't wait!), and were chatting the other day... even when we live on a narrowboat we will STILL go to the broads on holiday! (sad or wot?!)

Hi Jane, That's not weird lol...Weird is spending 15 months refitting a boat to bring to norfolk whist the other boat needs plenty of time spent on it! The broads as you explained is an escape from day to day life no matter were you live! good luck with the live-aboard dreams, it really is amazing (in the summer!) and after only 3 years I can't see myself returning to land anytime soon.  (Grace did I kinda explain it there finally lol!)

cheers

• Like 5

You explained it beautifully Jaws. It's clear after reading all the replies that we are all in love with the damn place. Staying in Hotels and going abroad is lovely and I would never knock anyone's choice for wanting that kind of holiday but for me it's hard to beat a hot summers afternoon sunbathing with a glass of wine listening to the Boats chugging past and people just messing about on the rivers (even pirate hats and flags Lol) with the sun glistening on the water and waking up in a different place everyday, unbeatable  :love I do own a couple of straw hats and a stetson which I wear on the Broads and if our lovely newbies Geoff & Wendy come back and say they hated every minute, I will gladly eat one of them Lol

Grace

p.s Sorry, not a lot going on in the Office and daydreaming again  :roll:

• Like 5