Why is it so Special?

Gracie

I have just put a leg of lamb in the oven (my dad's favourite) I have family coming for dinner and am now sitting by my window with a cup of coffee (too early for wine) and got to thinking about the Broads.

What makes it so special to you lot on here, for me it's the usual, waking up early to watch a sun rise, I love the mist on the water at that time, mud weighting, wild mooring and fishing etc. Having slap up lunches in the Broadland pubs (probably one of Jaw's favourite things, the beer not the food Lol) it's nice but just not the same when we go out for a meal at home. The best thing ever fo me is sitting out until the early hours with a nice glass of wine and listening to nothing but the nature, magical

Apologise if this topic has been done a thousand times, just think it's nice to read others views on what makes the Broads so special to them.

Grace :kiss

• Like 10

Lamb, pork & beef, here today and only five and the bump to eat it, too fussy by half our lot, me being the worst offender.

To be honest Grace you have covered most of the reasons we love boating, also looking for kingfishers, dragonflies, go faster ducklings chasing the boat, or adults ducks laughing at us (well the chattering always sounds like laughter to me), the elegance of swans when on the water and their struggle to take off in flight.

I must admit the thought of being able to sit on the boat in the open air or under the canopy watching the world go by with glass of Merlot is appealing.

Regards

Alan

• Like 5

We are having lamb tomorrow not bunny the broads as above the changing seasons,cold peaceful days almost alone on the river,the people in all shapes and sizes.The sometimes annoying holiday makers who think they are the first pirates on the broads.They do make me laugh though. A nice cup of tea,coffee, beer or wine.A bacon sandwich on the move.Is does not matter how often we are on the river,it always is a pleasure.Only two weeks to our nest trip.Enyoy your lunch and Easter, better still if you are on the river

Ian

• Like 4

For me it's everything you have said Grace plus the fact that you never see the same thing twice.... Even if you travel the same route and moor at the same spot.

I love it and can't wait to be back.........2 weeks come Saturday ( sound better tan saying 3 weeks time yay

:wave

David

• Like 5

The broads are special to me as its my livelihood, its provide me the means to look after my family, I do not enjoy the broads as many of you do, my boating is more a river trial or moving a customer boat, Fathers day last year was the last time I went out for leisure reasons when I borrowed a day boat from Sutton and took the kids over Barton broad and back. 

Work takes me to some very picturesque places and for that I am fortunate.

• Like 7

If anyone was born near the Broads, or has spent the greater part of their life here, than they're very fortunate indeed.

I was born in London, and I spent the first 40 years of my life living and working there. I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people are attracted to it. One of my offices was on the banks of the Thames, overlooking the Houses of Parliament, yet I was constantly thinking of ways to escape and find employment away from the city.

I never managed to find a job in Norfolk, but I finally retired here, about 15 years ago.

My only regret is all those lost years, counting the days.....

For me the broads can supply whatever type of holiday you want.

Hustle and bustle , seaside beaches, or peace and tranquillity.

A changing scene every two minutes even if you are moored doing a bit of people watching.

I always tell my friends that on a broads holiday you learn how to relax

Jeff

• Like 5

Lamb for us today too, has everyone been shopping at Asda?

As to what makes the broads so special I may be villified for my comments but for me it is the love of boating, and the broads offers the most cost effective boating holidays. There are very special places, Cruising along the town reach in Beccles is as good as it gets. I hope JC has installed that in Heaven or I'm going to want a return ticket! Waking early in a nice remote spot, that feeling after a hot day on the river and a cool shower, shorts and t shirt and out on deck for the last of the day with a good book and a G&T. Unbeatable.

But that said there are special places on other waterways too, The Caldon Canal between Stoke and Froghall is very special, The vistas along the whole length of the Caley make it very special.

If you were lucky enough to enjoy the western isles when hire boats were available there then you will have enjoyed something very unique. In fact, if my six numbers ever make an appearance my boat would probably be based somewhere around the Southwestern end of the Caley.

• Like 4

I so get where you're comig from in regards to the cool shower and changing for the evening Paul, that's exactly what we do, kids tucked up in cabins and sitting out till late, unbeatable.

I'll say this though, if they don't have Boating in Heaven then I'm not going Lol

Grace :kiss

• Like 5

Well for Wendy and I, this holiday is going to be something special, as it will be our first (but not the last) ever holiday on the Broads. As country dwellers, we just love to be amongst the joys of nature, the peace and serenity of being aboard a boat, ambling along at a sedate pace, with no cars, lorries and buses to worry about, just boats and sailie things. Being able to moor at different places, sample some good pubs and to watch the sunset with a nice glass of wine, before getting out the binoculars for a bit of star gazing in  the dark Norfolk skies. Up to watch the sunrise with a nice cup of hot coffee and a bacon bap, before getting under way again, to explore some other hidden backwater before mooring up for lunch. After leaving Richardson's boatyard once we have had our instructions, we aim to make for Wroxham for our fist night, then make our way to Cotishall during Saturday and have a trip on the Bure valley Railway. We will then start to explore the rest of the North Broads on Sunday, going no further south than Stracey Arms. Great Yarmouth I'm afraid, is not our idea of a holiday. 

• Like 4

Just to be cruising along the Bure beyond Wroxham to Coltishall, with a flat calm river with whatever you see ahead being a perfect reflection in the river. The same goes for the Ant above Stalham dyke to Dilham, even better if the sun is out and shining through the riverside trees, and the stretch from Beccles to Geldeston lock.

What is also quite magical is to be moored somewhere like Acle, when you go out in the dark, and see all the boats with lights on behind the curtains, feeling that everybody is all snug and tucked up for the night. Very cosy.

Being afloat on the broads is magical anytime.

• Like 7

We shop at Morrisons and for us we will be enjoying our lamb tomorrow with lots of mint sauce  :love .

Last weekend while we were on the river and just relaxing, to see two Kingfishers flying pass us. What a sight and sound  :clap. The water sends me into a daze and I just feel at ease  :shocked . Give me nature over humans  :love

Regards

Marina   :Stinky

• Like 5

Great Yaremouth is only a pain if you time it wrong Geoff, might see you at Rickos next saturday as we will be picking Broads Suncharm up there too we are hoping to go south first few days at least as were out for 2 weeks this time btw Pork Loyn for lunch today but the thing is you just please yourself what and where to go  timing is important to get a good mooring esp if in Horning or Ranworth as the moorings fill up early . Coltishall is a great spot we like a wild mooring right up by the lock gates but timings again for Wroxham bridge depending on the air draft of your boat ours this time is 7ft might need the pilot this time if we go under we usually take ourselves under esp on Marthams boats as the air drft is only 6ft  they were made for the bridges most important thing is Enjoy Yourselves . 

• Like 4

Thats great Geoff&Wendy,but when you can go south there is a contrast to the north.Dont be put off by great yarmouth.

give it a go Ian

We will visit the Southern Broads, but not this time, as we want to explore the whole of the Northern Rivers first, which will probably take more than a week, if we want to see everything, so there will not be enough time to venture South as well. We  will be back again in September for another week in the North, but we intend to visit the South next year, and will more than likely hire in the South and spend the whole week exploring the Southern Rivers. We are not put off by Great Yarmouth, having been there, got the T shirt. it's just that now are getting older, we prefer the peace and quiet of the countryside, rather than noisy funfairs, candy floss, amusement arcades, kiss me quick hats and all the other things associated with seaside towns.

But I did have a go on the Pepsi Max Big One at Blackpool last year whilst spending a few days during the Illuminations, so not bad eh, at 70 years old.  :teddy:

• Like 5

For us, Easter Sunday was a carvery meal at the Kings Arms in Ludham, followed by a visit to How Hill and a walk around the nature trail there.  What makes the Broads special for me is that, no matter how often you re-visit the same places, they are always different. 

cheers

Steve

• Like 5