Beccles Yacht Station

JimG

Hello all,

We are planning on visiting Beccles Lido on Monday 17th August and intend mooring at the Yacht Station. How busy is it likely to be? I don't really want to reserve a mooring because if the weather is rubbish the plan will change.

We cannot get under the bridge, is the Yacht Station our only option or are there others moorings elsewhere?

Thanks.

I believe you will be fine on the 17th. I know the nights of the 14th and 15th are fully booked as its carnival weekend and there are a couple of boating events booked in as well but they will be well on their way by the Monday.

• Like 1

Hi Jim,

I have only been able to moor at the 24 hour mooring on one occasion, it has been full, taped off for repairs etc. The rise and fall can be an issue especially for lower craft.

There is a reserved area for craft that can not get under the bridge but again they can struggle to get a mooring.

Another issue is the noise from the road bridge.

I would reserve a mooring in the Yacht Station and phone them if your plans do change.

Regards

Alan

We always enjoy mooring at the yacht station and going for a wander around Beccles. Going in June we haven't needed to book but if I was wanting to go in August I would be tempted to book- it could be quite a long journey to get back up the Waveney to anywhere else were the yacht station to be full. Either that or be prepared to moor up quite early to be on the safe side.

We always enjoy mooring at the yacht station and going for a wander around Beccles. Going in June we haven't needed to book but if I was wanting to go in August I would be tempted to book- it could be quite a long journey to get back up the Waveney to anywhere else were the yacht station to be full. Either that or be prepared to moor up quite early to be on the safe side.

good point that Jean. It's a couple of hours back to WRC if it's full. Think I'll book a spot.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

• Like 1

Keith I may wrong and if so apologise, but are those moorings not reserved for vessels unable to get under the bridge?

They are! (I can't find a pic I took a couple of years back of the notice board).

The Ranger was issuing tickets to peeps moored there last year who could get under the bridge.

• Like 1

Keith I may wrong and if so apologise, but are those moorings not reserved for vessels unable to get under the bridge?

The BA have tried it on, there is no legislation to uphold the mooring restrictions at that point. Noisy though, but mooring there saves you a tenner. 

good point that Jean. It's a couple of hours back to WRC if it's full...

Here lies the problem on the Southern Broads, if you are looking for mooring an hour before dusk, you might not have time to find another mooring if your chosen spot is full.

Luckily in the Autumn, when it gets dark early, there are generally less boats on the river, so better chance of finding somewhere, but not guaranteed of course.

The Southern Rivers, in my opinion, are blessed with many miles of 'wilderness' moorings along many stretches of river bank. Okay, so Beccles, when full, can be a problem but if you moor to the South shore anywhere between Burgh St Peters and Beccles there is a good footpath to Beccles. You may not be able to moor where you want to but there is no shortage of moorings, so long as you have a pair of rond anchors and a mudweight!

• Like 3

Unless you`re looking for moorings with services, ie, water and leccy hook up, there are i think 3 staithes between Beccles and WRC, all being BA 24 hour moorings. One is at Worlingham (i think that`s what it`s called?) on the North bank, and North Cove on the south bank. There is another not far from North Cove, but not sure what it`s called.

• Like 1

Unless you`re looking for moorings with services, ie, water and leccy hook up, there are i think 3 staithes between Beccles and WRC, all being BA 24 hour moorings. One is at Worlingham (i think that`s what it`s called?) on the North bank, and North Cove on the south bank. There is another not far from North Cove, but not sure what it`s called.

Aldeby

• Like 1

We moored at North Cove in June and it was my favourite mooring of the week. Really lovely spot. But you only get two or three boats at each of those moorings so when it's busier in July and August I don't know whether they tend to be free or are a bit like Instead on the north - lucky to ever find the mooring free.

I think there's also another mooring just outside Beccles which is private land but there's an honesty box for leaving a donation for staying overnight.

• Like 1