RNLI on Breydon, again.

JennyMorgan

We were going across Breydon from Yarmouth and SOB slowly went past on the shore side. In the distance some sky rocket was hurtling towards us creating a very large wake. SOB slowed down and got between us and the wake to shelter us. It then proceeded to catch up with the sky rocket. We proceeded on our way as SOB stopped the SR behind us. We were pleased to see them and grateful for the action that they took.

• Like 2

Marshman, whilst the past can not be undone, debate can bring forward ideas. On this I'm going to fly my own flag, yippee! The fuel and running costs alone have reared their ugly head, again, and quite obviously the way to contain these is to minimise engine hours. I suggested a buoy half way along Breydon at which the SOB can lay. Armed with radio, radar and binoculars the crew can keep an eye and and ear open for problems and casualties. Moored half along she doesn't have to travel anymore than half of Breydon. Patrolling, as she does, and sometimes as far away as St Olaves or Reedham, means that she may well be too far away from a potential casualty to be of any great help. Perhaps this eureka moment would never have surfaced were it not for this debate!  Personally I think it a valid idea, one that I shall forward to various member of the Nav Com in the hope that it can at least be debated in committee. If it is accepted, and it does release tolls for other tasks, then it will all be down to NBN!

This is a very good sugestion JM one which should be taken seriously and discussed by all concerned. Just a pitty I never thought of it:clap

• Like 1

Fuel wise won't be a lot when it is just pootling around, we have two 370's in a bigger heavier boat, and the rivers we will have between 600 and 700 rpm showing at 6mph, fuel burn is around 1 gallon an hour per engine.

As SOB is commercial the BA will be paying around 65p per litre hence fuel will be around £6 per hour. hardly going to break the bank.

Would agree a wheelhouse rib with wc compartment and a couple of big outboards, allowing one to be run when both are not needed, would have been the right craft for Breydon.

Can understand the logic to a central mooring buoy but it would be tantamount to putting a speed limit on Breydon, BA or not, nobody should be planing past a moored boat so that would mean 5mph in the middle of Breydon and a spattering of other slow boats that require all boats slow to pass elsewhere. True many would see this as a positive but it would be enforcement without law.

• Like 2

Can understand the logic to a central mooring buoy but it would be tantamount to putting a speed limit on Breydon, BA or not, nobody should be planing past a moored boat so that would mean 5mph in the middle of Breydon and a spattering of other slow boats that require all boats slow to pass elsewhere. True many would see this as a positive but it would be enforcement without law.

Personally I don't have a problem with speeding boats on Breydon provided they don't inconvenience others. That said, with the North Sea being near and handy I really don't see the attraction of a blast across Breydon but hey, each to their own!

SOB being on a central mooring, surely, would be no different to a police patrol car being parked up? I think in this case the safety gain of having SOB centrally placed and available would outweigh any inconveniences to the 'fast set'. 

• Like 2

Isn't there a trial ski zone down the centre of Breydon? Add to that the cost of installing the buoy, then trying to find staff who get job satisfaction out of being stuck in the middle of Breydon for 7hrs per day, and still no detailed viable alternative boat with costings. Only two sketchy possibles without costs or thought to real world practicality.

Depending on the state of the tide SOB often stays at The Berney end of Breydon to turn hire boats back on high spring tides. Pointless waiting for them to get halfway across to a boat moored to a buoy before being turned back. :rolleyes:

I've yet to be convinced that SOB is the wrong boat.

Edited by kfurbank

The problem with  the North sea (to be fair the only place we do open our engines) is that you can't get there and back if you don't fit through Haven Bridge.

I don't see any point in burning shed loads of fuel running backwards and forwards across Breydon but if I wanted to prove my engines after a fault it would definitely be the place I would head for.

Mutford, often doesn't work and costs £12 each way plus we usually need the Railway bridge swung and need to time the lift at Lowestoft's Bascule bridge so even if it is all working it is a good one and a half hours from Oulton Broad with a high risk of it not working on the way back

From Yarmouth Haven lifts 3 times a day if you have booked in advance. Even if there are two lifts available so you can go out and back, what happens if you have a problem that delays your return? They definitely won't open if you are late as there will  be no one at the bridge to lift it, it is not permanently manned with staff being brought in specially to open it. 

In reality the entrance and exit to/from the North Sea from the Broads is just too unreliable to consider going out for an hour or two, hence the need to maintain Breydon as a test ground for Sea going boats based on the Broads. 

I know clear runs are probably unlikely anyway but it only takes around 8 minutes to cross Breydon at 30 knots so even there and back is not a lot to test engines that in reality will be running for hours at a time for passage making. putting a police car in the middle which it may take 5 minutes to pass, with coming off the plane early enough to ensure wash does not hit them and then 5 mph until you are clear enough to push the throttles forward. By then the engines have cooled down.

• Like 1

Right boat? Wrong boat? This is just crying over spilt milk, They've got it, job done.

Now what should be being discussed is how to put it to it's best use. Hockham Admiral has requested that we put the old discussion to bed, I tend to agree. However, putting positive points forwards regarding its best use is positive thinking and the way forwards.(I'm never humble, but I do have opinions :) )

• Like 1

Yes but Keith we heard all the reasons why it is the wrong boat time and again,air draft, water draught, economy etc etc, what makes it the right boat?

Dave

Dave, To my mind the lack of any suggested viable alternative. I don't want to rerun the discussion about the SOB itself, but if someone could say XYZ boat at ABC price is cheaper, more suitable, cheaper to run then I might change my mind. Wishlists are just that, a wishlist. My own boat isn't perfect for all my needs, but its the best compromise for me. I could design and explain what would be the perfect boat for me, but of the boats physically available to me and my budget, then I have the right boat.