Broads Restaurants

riyadhcrew

On my hen party Boat we all piled in there on a Friday evening without booking, they were packed wall to wall but said if we didn't mind sitting outside they would sort something for us, it was a warm evening so no problem there, one of the best nights were had by all, fantastic pub and people, great to hear they are still thriving :clap

Grace

p.s Mr Nog would be proud, lot's of beer consumed that night, I can tell you cheersbar

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

Nah, we would require the banqueting suit at Carrow Road , with "let's be having ya Delia Smith" doing the purvey!

cheersIain

Don't think that you'll be doing any purving with our Delia, Iain. Nice lady, a bit short, as many TV people are for some reason, but sadly now past her sell by date, unless, of course, you have a thing for older women!!

Women don't become invisable after the age of fifty, they can be attractive, confident and sexy, my mum being one of them and certainly not passed her sell by date, I wonder what age us grls would consider men to be past their sell by date, if you happen to be a George Clooney or Brad Pitt look alike then probably never :naughty: but seeing as that is highly unlikely I would consider old sea dogs and sailors with a passion for anything to do with Broadland well past theirs :taunt:

Back on topic :naughty: I consider the Bridge Inn to be one of the best pubs in Broadland

Grace

p.s Totally tongue in cheek and no offence intended to our lovely older generation Sailors on here :kiss

• Like 6

Just catching up with this. Have to agree with Grace, Mrs Nog is over the half century mark but a very attractive woman IMHO (got to say that in case she reads this)  :naughty:

I must also agree with the comments about the Bridge Inn – superb pub and I think Grace’s experience is very typical, Phil, Ness and the staff have a very ‘can do’ attitude. Phil has said to me on numerous occasions that they are a pub which does food and we are made equally welcome whether we are eating or just going in for a drink, the latter being more often the case (not that the food isn’t excellent, it is).

I think this is the reason why it must be the most successful pub on the Broads as I’m sure Eric’s experience testifies. Now that the future of the pub has been put on a sound footing I’m sure the Bridge will consolidate its position as the leader in quality and customer service, the standard for other Broads pubs to follow (and any other pub for that matter)

cheersbar

• Like 4

Thankfully  many of the pubs on the broads have improved  there food this follows the market Many people  myself included  want good food and if you are in the business  you have to provide  good food at a fair price in other words people  are more switched on  now.Iain I available  for hire at a price 

Ian

• Like 3

"I'm available for hire at a price".......really, do you provide the baby oil or do we? :naughty: Seriously, I agree with Ian, personally I would prefer to pay a little bit extra for better quality food, the worst thing for me is when you go out for a family meal and you just know it's all been frozen and microwaved yuk, I have nothing against Iceland and the like and great for shoving in the oven for quickness on occasion but never as a main or family meal, you can't beat home cooked. Lordy knows whats up with Jaws moving out when he's dad's a chef lol :rolleyes:

Grace

• Like 4

Gracie have you heard the saying "Never trust a mechanics car" ;) When pops gets home from work the last thing he wants to do is cook.. Sorry pops you have put me off roast dinners for life too! But yup I still call them up if I'm not sure but he did teach me the basics and I'm a pretty good cook. I'm not as fussy as them (Ma was a waitress) when they go to resturants.. they are both hard work.. proper critics lol.. So kinda means any pub they like has to be good..

I'd love to hear my folks favorites. I've not had dinner at the bridge but lunches are very very good (Being honest It's a bit pub grub for me). (I don't like pompus a'la cart food though but not a fan of pub grub needs to middle ground and these three do this very well)   My favorites are Dukes - Somerleyton, White horse Loddon, One closer to the river at Colishall.

• Like 3

Talking of restaurants, do you know what I would love?  A really nice, river side restaurant that was an actual..well, a restaurant.

Not a pub, not a fish shop, take away or the like but somewhere that embraced its location – a nice frontage that came down to the river’s edge where you could arrive by boat.  A nice outside space where in the summer you could eat and drink and inside large windows looking out over the river and its activities, from your table with proper linen and decent cutlery and a menu that featured a bunch of Norfolk and Suffolk’s best produce accompanied by passionate staff and exemplary service. 

Imagine if the below was in the likes of Horning...

Rest.jpg.819ec8f82773b8f2b47766e6e36d3c0

rr_picture2.jpg.da108e57e2c79a5f7677fc0e

There is a great deal of very expensive housing in the Horning and Wroxham, areas – not to mention the fact Norwich is not exactly a poor city but come to the northern rivers and as close as you get to a table with large glass windows is the Ferry Inn in Horning.  I am sure there would be locals who would come for a great experience even as a ‘treat’ and boaters alike able to bypass the pub and dress up a little.

But it is not just the idea of top class food by the river, I wish somewhere had a nice coffee shop – I don’t mind if it was a chain like Costa, but where it just did coffee and not a café that also did coffee.  Comfy soft seats, warm lighting, free WiFi and lovely fresh ground coffee where you could sit and ponder things...

• Like 6

The idea is magical, however finding the land big enough for several cruisers to Moor up close by, could prove somewhat difficult,  with the present situation and loss of 24 hour moorings! However, remove Cantley factory, as in flatten it, extend the present pub to the rivers edge,  moorings are already available job done, possibly?

I do agree though Robin, decent coffee places are very thin on the ground throughout Broadland,  a possible business venture for someone. Having holidayed on Lake Garda, every morning you could sample a different cafe' for coffee, bliss.

The cafe at PH is not bad, but the coffee nothing to write home about!

cheersIain

• Like 1

The Bridge at Wroxham used to fill the "riverside" brief. Whilst not exactly upmarket, it was pleasant to sit by the windows there and watch the antics at the bridge. Folks used to turn up for meals in open boats, which they could moor next to the restaurant. Always highly amusing if it rained unexpectedly.

cheers

Steve

Err hello Iain - what about the Berney Arms? Plenty of space, could be extended (STPP) and plenty of mooring space. just needs the right owner and plenty of customers. Oh and a lot of money spent on it.

Now some might not say the outlook is very scenic, but in the right conditions there is something very special about looking out over the river and marshes with the sun setting or on a moonlit night. Having spent such an evening last year at Polkeys Mill I would make the effort to go there for a meal.

It's also good to see the SOB put to some use turning boats back cause the tide is the wrong height for the GY passage.

To me the biggest problem with most locations is finding a mooring close enough and I don't mind having to walk a few miles.

• Like 2

Berney Arms and The Broadshaven get my vote, I agree with Mark on the scenery at the Berney but there is something magical about that place, watched a few sunsets and moonlit nights many times moored there, with lot's of money spent on both locations what cracking places they could be, I remember as a little girl my dad holding station waiting for someone to move off so we could nab a mooring, wouldn't it be brilliant if it could be like that again?

Grace

• Like 3