Broads Restaurants

riyadhcrew

When I was in Potter Heigham before New Years, there was still a good number of people milling about, cars passing and Lathams was busy so I think there is opportunity in Potter Heigham but it would need someone with some deep pockets.

If it was myself (as far as a restaurant goes) I would knock down the Broads Haven and on the road side have some landscaping done to really make that side of things special.  I would then see if permission could be sought to have the bridge flood lit (hopefully both sides of) at night and have a new building built with plate glass sliding doors but with a veranda outside so they can be open in the summer but closed in the winter but affording the same view.

I’d want the restaurant to sell itself on the quality of the food – so a god Chef would be needed and I would hope that word of mouth would spread and thus begin attracting customers from further afield to experience the delights.  It would be a real special place not just for the experience of the food but the atmosphere and experience generally. 

Now, when my mum was 60 we went to Venice and had dinner at the Hotel Caprini.  Its stupidly expensive (Suites there can cost over £3,000 a night) but what made me really annoyed was going to take my suit jacket off and someone politely but firmly telling me that gentlemen have to keep them on during dinner. Why is any of this relevant?  Because you are taken to the hotel by a very nice private water taxi and that made more of an impact to me than anything else.

What could make matters even more special – romantic anniversary dinners, birthdays and the like is to be collected from Hickling Staithe (ample car parking there) by a launch. Imagine a warm summers evening, gliding across Hickling Broad sipping champagne and then arriving at the restaurant, as the sun set - the bridge all flood lit before you and being greeted by the Maître d'.

568f9937adad1_watertaxi.png.005dcc194dc7

Hick.thumb.jpg.4e9e633691ab1c125bf39d272

So it would not be the average place, but there are plenty of people in Norfolk and Suffolk I am sure who would like such a place, not to mention those increasingly well heeled holiday makers tempted to the Broads on ever larger more luxurious boats who would rather like a decent evening’s meal and what lady doesn’t like an excuse to be taken out and a chance to dress up? 

In many ways Potter Heigham might work out better for such a location and experience than other areas, because it is a bit eccentric anyway, there are no other places about to compete with such as you would find in Horning.  Well, I for one can dream...

I bet Ian has come across many chef's who thought they were gods:naughty:

To be honest the place I like most for its food and location is the Waters Edge at Bramerton, my eldest son also a chef still talks of the meal we had in there a couple of years ago and my cousin who has been involved in hotels for many years joined us last season on the boat and for their meal had the biggest pork chops that I have ever seen.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Typo's eh :dance

I guess a 'God Chef' would be be found in, Yorkshire maybe..

I popped into the Waters Edge for a drink - can;t comment on food, but not my cup of tea as far as atmosphere or style/decor in there goes.  A real 'could have been' but seems unsure what it is, neither too laid back for a drink or too fine to be a special waterside restaurant.

Griff, with regard to Brammerton Woods End, we went in

there soon after it reopened and to say that we felt out

of place is an understatement! You can spend £25 on a

meal and still see the centre of the plate :evil:

It is no longer the welcoming pub that it used to be and

we won't be going in again! Last year we went straight

past and stayed overnight at The Ferry a few minutes

upriver and a much more welcoming place by far.

JMHO of course.

• Like 2

Brammerton was at it's best 20+ years ago.

Our favourite lunch pub now is Coldham Hall have been known to go there for lunch then back to base in Brundall on a rough night forecast ( nothing to do with the food ).

Next is the White Horse Chedgrave or Limmy's chippy is good.

If you are willing to gamble the Italian in Beccles is either very good or very bad (?)

We always call at the Bridge when we dare to venture over to the dark side.

paul

When I'm on the boat is somewhere "  comfortable " with good food, beer ,fairly priced and feeling like staying for the rest of the evening..The Waters Edge was not for us ,I believe it was Water Skying club  night with a guy at the next table ( outside ) in a tooled down wet suit ,say no more 

Going against the grain, we really like the Waters Edge.  Lee and the team are welcoming, efficient and friendly.  Having a decent eatery on the Broads was well overdue IMHO, a huge improvement on what was there before and we go there fairly often.  

• Like 1

I think people's views of pins are very subjective as everybody wants different things from a pub!

i think Waters Edge is a fantastic place to eat but you pay a premium for that.

The Kings Head at Ludham gets my vote as a great place to eat and drink.

both will be frequented this year :-)

• Like 1

As I have said it is a good idea but I don't think it would work at potter.Yes knock down the pub and start again.In the winner it has very few people  running through  it so you need a pub restaurant  that would work.Yes I have worked  and come across  chefs who thought  they were gods or Just on babies  (toys out of the pram).I think you need to think very carefully  where to go and your market  ian

• Like 1

The Comodore at Oulton Broad gets close to what you are looking for or the Waters Edge at Bramerton? As for coffee or tea you could sit at The Nelson in Norwich, the coffee shop at Oulton Broad outside or East Hills at Brundall where you can sit in the balcony and watch all the boatyard activities! The same goes to the teashop at Ranworth. 

The good thing with the Broads s that there is such a great combination of places which is great. Its incredible what drinks and cullinary delights can we whipped up on the boat. We have an afternoon tea set complete with cake stand on ours for special occasions!