Holiday of My Lifetime with Len Goodman

lincan

30 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Come on guy's the Broads are for use by everyone, there is only a few sections that are used for skying and these are limited to certain times during the year. To be honest I have not seen any for quite a few years.

Regards

Alan

Sorry Alan, cannot agree, my dear Mum was nearlly scalded by a passing skier and boat. The Broads rivers were never meant IMHO for such craft. The Med is the place for them.

cheersIain.

• Like 1

I’ve watched it – skipping through the tosh and for an afternoon program on BBC you can’t expect too much.  Cheaply produced but perhaps Fiona had one too many sugars in her tea when filming for she is off the scale with flamboyance.  I did not learn anything new and it is a shame that they did not use a hire boat.  Filming onboard an old woody is pointless – it was nothing like that which she ‘sort of remembered’ going on holiday in 1975 on, so why not just have gone on one of Brooms new boats for a few hours?

As to the point about wash and water skiers - surly this is a case of why the rivers can and should be used by all parties – if you are someone who enjoys water sports I don’t think they should be banned indeed I think more should be done to encourage a raft of different waterborne activates over the system. 

Areas where water skiers are permitted are clearly signed and while it is very rare, I have seen people doing this in the section they were allowed to on a late summer’s afternoon last year.  You use caution because you do not know there may be a fast boat around the next corner. 

If I were someone who enjoyed water skiing and I heard someone being almost scolded by the wash my boat and skier caused, with respect, I would ask why in a section of river where you can expect to come across the likes of me and a water skier being towed at speed were they using the kettle? – Just as I’d not recommend not making a brew when crossing Breydon Water and suddenly be overtaken by a faster boat with a larger wash.

• Like 1

Nope Robin, we were just pootling along as you do, when flash harry zoomed by very close to our craft, are we suppose to use a crystal ball to see when they will be on the river? The warning board does not give specific times I dont think, just a note to say its a skiing area. Are we suppose to wait to brew up to suit skiers ? I think not:norty: It was in the afternoon on a Saturday many years ago before you were born, laddie.

cheersIain

• Like 3

I agree with the comments so far about the programme. I was looking forward to it and it started reasonably I thought. The Ford Anglia connection was in keeping with the programme and there were some lovely shots of Brundall and the beautiful 1950s cruiser. The programme lost its way terribly though, with lack of focus as has already been said. I started getting frustrated when Len pulled the inflatable guitar out of the locker for the Bohemian Rhapsody thing. I found it frustrating that they didn't follow through on just simply showing what the holiday Fiona had was like instead of messing about with the nonsense they did. They could have stayed on the boat they chose, shown some of the lovely scenery to Norwich and eventually to Norwich Yacht Station. Instead we had a coconut shy set up at Surlingham Ferry which as far as boating was concerned was as far from Brundall as they got! Aaarrrhgghhh!

I've now watched and quite enjoyed it. Len, for me, is the only tolerable personality on the 'Strictly' team. For a Londoner he comes over as a decent bloke, can't help but like him, I enjoyed his input and style, and his appalling diction. Nothing staggering, a very pleasing watch, glad that I recorded it. Not sure what the cameraman's fascination with fenders was though.

• Like 1

I think the point of the program is to take the celebrity back to a moment in time when presumably they had a memorable holiday. Hense the ford anglia, woody boat, queen music etc etc.

I don't think the program is trying to promote the holiday industry of today although it might spike some interest in the area.

As for Len .... I think many like him and I guess he's no better/worse than the average presenter on the beeb.

Just another bit of simple, sleep inducing afternoon entertainment.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

I think the point of the program is to take the celebrity back to a moment in time when presumably they had a memorable holiday. Hense the ford anglia, woody boat, queen music etc etc.

I don't think the program is trying to promote the holiday industry of today although it might spike some interest in the area.

As for Len .... I think many like him and I guess he's no better/worse than the average presenter on the beeb.

Just another bit of simple, sleep inducing afternoon entertainment.

No modern 'plastic fantastics' from 'up the Ant' to drool over?  Shame  :naughty:

It was filmed on the first Saturday in July and the day before - both days were very hot and Pamela was in the Museum of the Broads Oulton Boat Shed which was like an oven! Well spotted re her husband in the archive film. Jenny Wren is owned by Brooms and has defo been afloat for many years - it can found in their yard. I had some lengthy conversations with the researcher re some ideas some of which were shown and others for practical reasons weren't and replaced by other things. 

On 3 March 2016 at 5:51 PM, Vaughan said:

Yes me too. It was a pleasant but innocuous "stocking filler"

It was not a hire boat, of course. I may be wrong, but I think it is owned by the Broom family. 

Nice to see the usual media connections - Pam Masters introducing a 1970s cine film of husband Ian driving a boat in Horning and a Hoseasons Brochure was prominent, but why not? Nice shots of Surlingham Ferry and Bramerton (I think it was) as well as Cathedral Close.

It did no harm!

Hello - Jenny Wren was a hire boat in the 1970s and 1980s - I used to clean her on a Saturday and whacked my head on a regular basis going down into the cabin. She is a lovely boat. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Poggymale said:

Hello - Jenny Wren was a hire boat in the 1970s and 1980s - I used to clean her on a Saturday and whacked my head on a regular basis going down into the cabin. She is a lovely boat. 

Thanks for that - I had always thought that class was only built for private customers.

Just shows how excellent Brooms hire boats were in those days!

• Like 2