Holiday of My Lifetime with Len Goodman

lincan

Hello All,

The above programme that's on BBC 1 this thursday at 3.45, is Fiona Phillips reliving a 1975 Norfolk Broads holiday. For those who haven't seen any of these programmes, Len Goodman takes a 'celebrity' back to a place where they spent a childhood holiday and share their memories. Could be worth a watch.  

• Like 7

Well I watched it, and..... well I watched it. I would have liked to have seen more of the "Broads" and less or Len and Fiona. A typical BBC afternoon fill in programme.

What I really want to know is.... WHAT day was the sun out, when it was filmed last year! :naughty:

Over all, a pleasant forty five minutes escapism.

cheersIain.

Edited by BroadScot
Spelling!
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonzo said:

It's always sunny on the Broads, Iain :naughty::naughty:

Is the programme worth a watch? I've got it recorded.

I don't see why, you shouldn't suffer Skipper, the same as we did!:naughty::party: I think my final word on the subject covers all. A lot of padding  not a lot of subject matter IMHO.

cheersIain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadScot said:

Well I watched it, and..... well I watched it. I would have liked to have seen more of the "Broads" and less or Len and Fiona. A typical BBC afternoon fill in programme.

Yes me too. It was a pleasant but innocuous "stocking filler"

It was not a hire boat, of course. I may be wrong, but I think it is owned by the Broom family. 

Nice to see the usual media connections - Pam Masters introducing a 1970s cine film of husband Ian driving a boat in Horning and a Hoseasons Brochure was prominent, but why not? Nice shots of Surlingham Ferry and Bramerton (I think it was) as well as Cathedral Close.

It did no harm!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, webntweb said:

Matt . . . spotted the AF43s but couldn't work out which one(s) it was.

Roy

I think it was both. Clearly saw Lightenings bow with the end of the name and then the side of Thinder with our share for sale sign in the window.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

Did any body notice how fast the boats seem to be going in the archive footage.

Nice  bit of eye candy though.

Doug.

Good point, Doug, now I may be wrong here, it does happen, but, in the 70's once out past Wroxham and then Wroxham Broad, was it not 7mph? Till the 5mph as you entered Horning. Did the slower speeds not come into force when a certain Authority took over? This was to protect the river banks from boat wash. It certainly was after Stracey's Arms full speed ahead to GY.in the 70's

cheersIain

Just had a quick look at this on Iplayer.

Skipping through all the padding it did not take long.

As has been said typical tv programme these days, all presenters and no content.

Not impressed.

Think you are right about the speed limits Iain.   I seem to remember them much the same from the 1970's.

Diffiult to judge speed in the archive footage.  This would have originally been on cine film and TV often show it at a faster frame rate than the original speed.   I think the media types think it adds effect.

Much the same way as perfectly good quality historic film often has the appearance of scratches artifically added because the progrmme makers think its clever.

• Like 2

I think it is called entertainment. It is supposed to entertain hundreds of thousands who have never been to any of the destinations or even have any desire to do so.

You can't look at it like a documentary. 

Yes, there were many 7mph stretches back then.

• Like 2

I thought it was pretty dire :( Fiona's memory was of the haziest and her delivery irritating, just my opinion and apologies to Fiona fans!

The programme lacked focus.

Craig's database has Jenny Wren as no longer registered in, I think 2013, so she must have been ashore for restoration?

It was indeed like going out into the north sea at times with the wash, unfortunately back in the seventies, the new generation of hired craft tended to to push the water out of the way rather than cut through it. This combined with higher speed limits led to large washes.

Fortunately people like Andrew Wolstenholme came along with the present generation of low wash hulls.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

If we are so concerned about wash and erosion why are we still licencing wake board boats on the southern rivers? 

Many have asked the same question!  I understand that the water ski/ wake board groups have been prepared to mount a united defence against BA attempts to stop it, and it would appear they may have money behind them.

Yes but water skiing is very different. To wake board you hold the boat at a speed that produces the maximum height wash for the boarder to make use of. Water skiing is more about speed over the water with the boat on the plane and producing minimal wash.

We can't have it both ways. If it's about erosion then finance is irrelevant but if we can just have what we want because we are able to afford the fight and sod the riverbanks then one could change the face of the Broads beyond anything we could imagine. 

Make that three of us, although I do enjoy watching them zoom past, their wash rarely if ever bothers 'B.A' I still think they should do that sort of thing at whitlingham or other enclosed flooded gravel pits where there are no slow moving cruisers / yachts about

Griff

• Like 4

Just now, BroadScot said:

I must confess, I have used my finest Anglo Saxon to a passing Water Ski boat!!!!!! :Stinkyin the past. Talk about the rocky road/river up to Norwich or St Olaves. :swordpir:

cheersIain

Well i have to admit to using my finest bleu French for the same reason Iain on a fair few occasions last year

• Like 3