Beers You Have Tried

17 hours ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Let the deviation begin... 

Well as I'm only a stones throw from Thatchers cider farm I'm going to shock you all now..... The best ever drink in my eyes is a lager I love  and it's a hard pint to get hold off... 

This is the confusing bit it's called BREDA it was Dutch lager but it's not brewed in Breda in Holland any more the rights to it was sold off to

Randalls brewery Guernsey who brew it themselves they have it on draught and in cans and sell it over the Channel Islands and world wide but not in the uk... It's such a shame because it's a lovely pint.. And it would sell big time... So if your ever in Jersey or Guernsey you should have a pint..

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Howard,

You had me confuzzled for a minute, then I remembered sampling a bottle of the Orkney ale that Ruth brought back after being up there on a cruise with her sister. I think you meant .... http://www.swannaybrewery.com two nn no M:naughty: I am not suppose to drink such necter:angel:, but the odd one or two does me know harm:party:

cheersIain

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this should be posted on this thread : maybe it should be "A blast from the past"?

I have just posted these photos on a website about the fall of Hong Kong in 1941, and the Arakan Campaign in Burma in 1945, both of which concerned my father, and I thought you might like to see them.

He, and the crews of the 2nd MTB flotilla, escaped from Rangoon on a Danish freighter, the Heinrich Jessen, by actually sailing out between the Japanese invasion forces, who were not interested in an old tramp steamer.

Years later, in 1945, my father went back to Burma as senior officer, coastal forces, in the campaign to drive the Japanese out. He had 8 flotillas of coastal forces M.L.s (64 boats) and his depot ship was the old Heinrich Jessen, commandeered, re-built and re-named HMIS (His Majesty's Indian Ship) Barracuda.

The Barracuda was the last merchant ship to leave Hong Kong, Singapore, Rangoon and Akyab before they fell to the Japanese. As part of my father's command she became the first ship to re-enter Akyab, Rangoon and Singapore, when they were re-taken in 1945.

This beer mug was made in the engineer's shop of HMIS Barracuda, as a leaving present to my father after the Arakan campaign. The mug is a Naval 3 inch (12 pounder Pom Pom) cut down to make an Imperial pint. The two bullets are from a Vickers .303 machine gun and the handle is a 20mm Oerlikon cannon. All of these rounds were fired, in action, from Coastal Forces M.L.s attached to the Barracuda. The firing cap in the base is plugged with an Indian quarter Rupee piece and the handle is capped with a Royal Indian Navy chief petty officer's sleeve button. The chrome plating is still perfect, after 70 years.

The last man to drink a pint out of this mug was Tony Thrower, the chief engineer of Hearts Cruisers, at the reception that we held in the Buck in Thorpe, after my father's funeral.

100_3164.jpg

100_3165.jpg

Ship pics.jpeg

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Iain, if it's too strong for your Scottish pallet then you can always water it down by 25% or whatever;)

P.S. Nice price, for a change, Sainsbury!

JM having consumed Tolly Cabtab 250.....once! Broadside is but a breeze.:)

I am sure I was weened on McEwans Export! :naughty:

cheersIain

16 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Now what do we get from Scotland? Tennants, urghhhhhhh!

Look out in Sainsbury's for Isle of Arran bottled ales, very drinkable indeed. The Arran Blonde at 5% is very more-ish !

067466.jpg

cheersIain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

I can't afford Sainsbury's prices, I'm a poor old pensioner. On top of that our nearest one is at Gt Yarmouth amidst their nonsensical one way street system, I'll just have to take your word for it being a fine ale!

Never mind being a pensioner, not many can afford Sainsbury's prices, almost as dear as Waitrose and Tesco.

Regards

Alan

I use Sainsbury's as they have lots of disabled parking and the ailses are a good width for "Scoot" to wheech around! Just over two weeks till the weans are back at school up here, then taking corners will be less stressfull ! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

On Saturday me and her in doors went out to our local to meet up with our friends for meal.. Anyway cut a long story short my mate has just been diagnosed with diabetes 2 and he loved his cider.. Any how in my local we have a fantastic range of ciders so due to his condition cider was a big no no.. So to be a true friend of 38 years I decided not to rub the salt in the wound and not drink cider in Front of him.. So we had a look at all the lager and bitters and spotted MENA DHU on draught... Your all wondering what...  Well it's a Cornish stout and it's beautiful pint especially served ice cold lovely smooth drink it's brewed by St Austell Brewery I do like a Guinness and I would say this is on the same level as Guinness .. So keep your eyes open for it and try it.. 

image.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 4:35 PM, ScrumpyCheddar said:

On Saturday me and her in doors went out to our local to meet up with our friends for meal.. Anyway cut a long story short my mate has just been diagnosed with diabetes 2 and he loved his cider.. Any how in my local we have a fantastic range of ciders so due to his condition cider was a big no no.. So to be a true friend of 38 years I decided not to rub the salt in the wound and not drink cider in Front of him.. So we had a look at all the lager and bitters and spotted MENA DHU on draught... Your all wondering what...  Well it's a Cornish stout and it's beautiful pint especially served ice cold lovely smooth drink it's brewed by St Austell Brewery I do like a Guinness and I would say this is on the same level as Guinness .. So keep your eyes open for it and try it.. 

image.png

Yes a VERY NICE STOUT.

Last Wednesday in Praze-an-Beeble Cornwall

DSC_0074.JPG

DSC_0075.JPG

• Like 2