Beers You Have Tried

To finish the alcohol theme from the holiday (couldn't do it from the hotel as it wouldn't let me upload the pictures).

After a long morning walking in the heat we needed some refreshment was needed and the offer of a bucket of beer sounded good. Sadly it was only Spanish beer!! It had traveled as far as we had!!

2.JPG

The afternoon was finished off with a Singapore Sling in the most famous place in the world to have one - another rip off (but had to be done), not much gin in it and what there was of it, was cheap gin!!! Still it was also cold. It also came with a fruit cocktail as part of my 5 a day (and I thought that was pints).

1.JPG

Lastly, finished off at dinner with a bottle of the Japanese stuff. I know you can get over here, but dont see it very often so it was worth a try (also nice and cold).

IMG_0210.JPG

I may be in need of a nice pint of bitter this weekend if I am allowed!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gracie said:

Can't think what you mean, Dave, once the tops are off the bottles in my house they never go back on again, never heard of such a thing:wasted:

Grace

Well darlin the tops always go back onto all

<

<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<

<
<
<
<
<
<
milk bottles in our house :hardhat:

cheers charlie :kiss

• Like 1

Not as exotic a location as Baitrunner, but here goes....

Wainwright, nice golden ale, nice glass..... find your mountain....

DSC_0037_2.JPG

BRACK'N'BREW

Brewed at the Brackenrigg  Inn in the lakes....golden ale ....didn't like it.

DSC_0016_2.JPG

another BRACK'N'BREW

STOUT.....

Very nice, liked it a lot... and the view wasn't bad.

didn't make the golden ale taste better though.

DSC_0018_1.JPG

I

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A weekend in the lovely Bury st Edmunds. 

Quite impressed with it. Lovely buildings, some shops for the ladies and plenty of bars/restaurants. 

We stayed in the The Old Cannon. Oh did I mention they also brew beer there?

free bottle of beer in the room which did make it home. They also do beer taster menu. 3 thirds of a pint as a little taster. Which meant I could sample all the beers and double up on a couple. 

Didn't bother with the normal Adnams, but the longboat was interesting. Favourite was the Gunners Daughter (not like that).

IMG_0345.JPG 

the brewing vessels

IMG_0346.JPG

and a couple of wise words. 

IMG_0347.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

• Like 6

I'm 110% with Lab on that one. However doing a quick check on the Good Beer Guide it doesn't directly connect them with Greene King, albeit they are in Bury St Edmunds. I shall bow to those with more local knowledge though! 

Anything from the Westgate Brewery I would give a wide berth! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Labrador said:

Yes they certainly brew beer there. They buy out breweries, transfer the brewing to Bury and basically ruin what used to be classic beers.

I'm confused. Are we talking about Green King? Who are indeed in Bury and probably do buy out smaller breweries, but I doubt the Old Cannon have the buying power to do that? 

I still like the beer anyway cheers

• Like 3

Mark, it looks as if this is probably an independent outfit - the coincidence is that they are based in Bury St Edmunds so I can see exactly where Lab is coming from. The points he mentions about GK I'm fully in agreement about. However I've checked the Good Beer Guide which is usually pretty good in identifying who owns which brewery and it does seem that they are not under the GK umbrella. There are so many breweries now its hard to keep track! If you enjoyed the beer that's the main thing. cheersbar

• Like 2

On Saturday went shopping with her in doors and popped in to Aldi.... So I went to see what beers they had..... well I came across a lager called Saint Etienne so I googled and read the reviews... a mixed bag good and bad...

i bought 4 cans £2.69 

Its a lite beer very much like Budweiser... Good value.....

I give it 7 out of 10 

IMG_1444.JPG

• Like 1

Has anyone mentioned the Coach and Horses on Rosary Corner in Norwich yet?

You walk up Chalk Hill Rd from the Yacht Station and turn right, or straight up the Thorpe Rd from the railway station.

They have their own brewery, "Chalk Hill" or "CHB" and also do very good lunches, all at low prices. When I was there last year the CHB was less than £3 a pint.

One of my favourite pubs, and it's down hill all the way back to the boat!

• Like 1

Been in loads of times Vaughan as we regularly stay in the excellent Marlborough Guest House just round the corner down Stracey Road. The grub is very good. I do like the beer although it's just a little malty for my taste. Very well priced though. It's a very busy pub too, I'm pushed to think of a time when we've been in and it's been quiet. Rugby very popular on the TV. Amazing to think it was once a failing pub. Just shows what can be done with a pub in the right hands. cheersbar

• Like 2

On 31/01/2017 at 9:32 AM, Vaughan said:

They have their own brewery, "Chalk Hill" or "CHB" and also do very good lunches, all at low prices. When I was there last year the CHB was less than £3 a pint.

I assume the Brewery is named because it is on a chalk hill (Vaughan you mention going back downhill to the Yacht Station) and not after a butterfly called Chalkhill Blue which just happens to be the name of my white boat :)

• Like 2

No, it is indeed a chalk hill, but that's a nice connection!

There were lots of quarries in the high ground between Norwich and Thorpe and it made a good "return load" for the wherries. Coal up to Norwich for the gas works (on Gas Hill) and sand, gravel or chalk back to the Dickey Works at Berney Arms.

• Like 2

On 30/01/2017 at 9:46 PM, ScrumpyCheddar said:

On Saturday went shopping with her in doors and popped in to Aldi.... So I went to see what beers they had..... well I came across a lager called Saint Etienne so I googled and read the reviews... a mixed bag good and bad...

i bought 4 cans £2.69 

Its a lite beer very much like Budweiser... Good value.....

I give it 7 out of 10 

IMG_1444.JPG

Try adding some dark fruit very nice diesel 

IMG_0195.JPG

• Like 2

On 5 October 2016 at 8:56 AM, deebee29 said:

...what's the point of those screw top wine bottles anyway ? 

When we did a tour of an odd winery or two, hic... before the tour, we were under the impression that screw bottle tops were used as they were cheap and only found on cheap wines...

How wrong we were... they are used, not so you can save some wine for tomorrow, not in the wineries interest or Gracies for that matter, they use them as they have a better seal and have less problems with "corked wines" no surprise there as there are no corks lol.

The other thought was... "cork" was getting difficult to get hold of, and started to become expensive. You also have the "plastic" type cork substitute. 

Screw caps... also handy to take some wine home for the driver when you have had a good meal out.

Back to beer, one of my favourite beers in the summer is Woodforde's Bure Gold, not as strong as Wherry or Nelson's Revenge, but a real thirst quencher. Once Bittern also quite refreshing too.