Bring Your Own Lettuces.

JennyMorgan

I saw this story doing the rounds and the restrictions on the number of lettuces each customer can buy. Seriously ... who needs to buy more than two or three lettuces and the same of heads of broccoli at a time. And as for the reported price hikes on lettuce and courgettes ... just natural economics of supply and demand?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4189266/Pictured-freak-Spanish-weather-devastated-crops.html

"The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen..."

Take this morning for example. I woke up and Britain was alone, facing an imminent disaster evacuating Europe, our Prime Minister begging for aid from an uncaring USA, while back at home they've introduced food rationing. 

I check the chronometer on the Tardis...04/02/2017. How odd, feels like 1940! Jelly baby anyone?

• Like 3

The media just love to stir up the public with these stories of impending shortages.

Back in the 1970's we had a period where sugar and bread were in limited supply for various reasons.

Shops were rationing or only selling to regular customers.

Then somewhere in the media there came the story that there would be  a shortage of toilet rolls.

Within 24 hours there was hardly a bog roll to be found.

• Like 1

Just now, Arthur said:

The media just love to stir up the public with these stories of impending shortages.

Back in the 1970's we had a period where sugar and bread were in limited supply for various reasons.

Then somewhere in the media there came the story that there would be  a shortage of toilet rolls.

No worries! That is what the red top newspapers are for. Anybody who was born just after the (don't mention the war) as I was it was not a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthur said:

One old fool that I knew thought that he could be a hero, not only for his family but also for friends and neighbours, plus he's could make a bob or two. Great, in theory, but it was a short lived shortage and my friend took several plus years to use up the vast stock that he'd stashed away in his garage. Good job that it wasn't that awful Izal stuff!

• Like 2

I still remember the toilet at my Grans, it was approached with a big torch down the garden, and you had a choice that shiney stuff, or the newspaper squares on a string. newspaper always won, though you could leave an imprint of last weeks news in your underwear.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Good job that it wasn't that awful Izal stuff!

What a terrible thought Peter.

I remember when I first started school that that stuff was used as tracing paper.

Also when I worked for a Government Establishment in the Early 1970's all of the toilet rolls were that type  plus each individual sheet was stamped   "Government Property"

6 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Anyone from the Services may remember the Izal bog rolls, where each individual leaf was stamped "Government Property". You had a ration (according to the R.S.M.) of 3 per visit, on the basis of "one up, one down and one shine".

In those far off days a nail scrub was standard issue ;)

One thing is perfectly clear from this discussion...you all came from 'posh households' and never had to use the Zan Izal in anger. It comes to something when a young whippersnapper like me has to explain how to use this 'old stuff'. So brace yourselves ladies and gentlewotsits as I demonstrate the correct application of Zan Izal until I get modded!

Step One
Take your sheet of Zan Izal.

DSC_0038.thumb.JPG.33e767976c093a78b0e1aecd6eae0b04.JPG

Step Two
Fold your Zan Izal in half, and then in half again.
DSC_0039.JPG.22de6c4a98e95b97ff6594557f526347.JPG
Step Three
Select the corner with no open ends.

DSC_0040.JPG.2e4f2812f0ed7a3c7a3d89abc8dc244b.JPG

Step Four
Tear out a triangular section and put this to one side for later.
DSC_0041.JPG.6eb3eea1d8a01052d242571a426d6e7b.JPG
Step Five
Unfold your sheet to reveal a hole in the center.
DSC_0042.JPG.66784d8befd2a13f448b687e4405e93d.JPG
Step Six
Insert middle finger into hole and then...wipe.

DSC_0044.JPG.2274408a0c5a94de6f7f17fc57c824d4.JPG

Step Seven
Wash your hands and use triangle for manicure purposes! :naughty:

• Like 3