Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

14 hours ago, Lastdraft said:

Oh no , thought this p**t plied his educated rubbish on the other forum. That's me out of here. 

I can't begin to say how disappointed I am to find all this stuff on this forum I don't, blame you for feeling  the way you do. if this  continues I'll be doing likewise.

Carole

Robin sent me that post in an email yesterday, it made me smile reading it.  Robin had intended it that way.  I asked Robin to put it in here for the same reason. 

Now what have we got? Paladine for an 'educated' man, just how wrong did you get that one then?  Read it totaly wrong you did. Thin as two long planks springs  to mind unless of course you genuinely intended to insult him and wind the rest of us up in which case well done BUT what goes around comes around  

Btw say you on your bathtub today

Griff

• Like 11

9 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Now what have we got? Paladine for an 'educated' man

Before he chooses to criticize this error in person, I would stress that the member in question spells his name Paladin, no "e". I believe a paladin is an officer of a Palace or other such place, whereas Paladine is a fictional character in some fantasy fiction series of novels and games. He is a God, apparently, more so he is a good God, a kind of leader of the Gods. 

Sorry, just having a Bernard Woolley moment. 

• Like 1

It is the same idiot paul.. I believe the game character mentioned is based on the same. For whatever reason he has chosen a different name.. his chosen name explains his posting style.. I believe the forum is for all but those who come here to cause hiccups should be blocked but I have no say really.. thankfully!

• Like 2

"I've been sweeping my emotions to one side and yet calming my Mum down who has found out the man she had a child with and lived with for the best part of 40 years had lived a double life, had a  flat that was kept secret from both her, me  and the lady he was having the long affair with - his secretary who is now a beneficiary of his Will and has learnt of my Mum's existence recently too along with a host of other professional and non-professional friends who had no idea I even existed! You see I've been a little 'stressed' recently but have been putting a brave face on things."

Well Robin you have my utmost sympathy,  having just been dealing with Mums estate (through a solicitor) I realise that all our hiccups pale into insignificance when I read you paragraph regarding your father.        All our bickering beneficiaries are non starters when I realise what you have had to face.      I dont know your Mum but no one but no one could have anything but utmost respect for her,    so chin up Robin.       You are a credit to this forum.      And (I know you should not start a sentence with And) before Griff starts no I am not after anything.:love

• Like 8

Friday 31st March 2017 - and I'm onboard with Steve W.  2200 and we could have been there at least an hour earlier if it wasn't for the A47 being shut near to Norwich.  That was some detour, the TomTom paid for itsen that night.

Sat 01st April We sailed at 0715-ish on Barton Broad and conducted gearbox trials - All to the good.  It was a cracking morning to be out on the rivers (Aren't they all?)  by 0930- ish we are  stern on at the New Inn, a couple of passengers embarked for the river flotilla for Hank.  Flotilla formed up behind a river inspector and we meandered our way to Ludham Bridge.  We then all gathered on the bridge to produce soap bubbles, the last post was played on a cornet or something similar.  Then we all walked up to the Dog Inn for the afternoon.  By the time we got back onboard 'B.A' it was around 1600.  Steve wanted a visit to the Bridge Inn at Acle, so off we went.  We were lucky and got a spot right outside the steps leading to the beer garden.  By 1930 we are sat down for dinner in t pub being looked after by the very attentive and attractive girly staff.  Another excellent dinner consumed.  By 2100 we are back onboard, it's DVD time once again, this time it was to be 'Master and Commander'  sometime later on - Lights out sound pipe down

Sunday 02nd April.  I sailed at 0800 with Steve having a lie in, we went straight to Ranworth Staithe, it was full, no room at the Inn, but a kindly FL boat said we could go alongside him, which put our transom side on to another Hireboat on the corner, no matter as they left a few minutes after we arrived so we were able to get the Transom stern on to the quay.  FCE onboard in the sunshine, it was a proper warm day

Early afternoon and we are off again, this time for Wroxham - No moorings available down stream of t bridge (Is there ever?) so no option but to go through, then along side the Kings Head, I hot footed it to Nearest and Dearest for a few bits n bobs I needed.  After only 20 mins we are underway again and under the same bridge, next stop Stalham and back into our home berth.

At 2200 exactly we walked into our Local Pub in Finningley village to meet up with the regular Sunday Nights Lads evening, then on completion - Home, MrsG hates me doing that, that is going to the pub on a Sunday night before going home after a weekend away.  Macie dog was collected en-route with her walker - My Lad and she was well chuffed to be picked up in the Jeep by 'Dad'

Of course, whilst afloat I did get some issues attended to and got them ticked off our outstanding jobs to do list (Update on t'other thread in due course)

Griff

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Erm, yes, I'm aware of it's 'Proper' name too, although it is in Auckley of course.  Nowadays it is still as popular, probably even more so.  The food is good, me and MrsG often wander down there with Macie dog for tea / dinner

'My' true local is in Finningley Village - 'The Harvey Arms', you will find me in there most Sunday evening from 2130-ish

Griff

On 4/18/2017 at 5:52 AM, BroadAmbition said:

Erm, yes, I'm aware of it's 'Proper' name too, although it is in Auckley of course.  Nowadays it is still as popular, probably even more so.  The food is good, me and MrsG often wander down there with Macie dog for tea / dinner

'My' true local is in Finningley Village - 'The Harvey Arms', you will find me in there most Sunday evening from 2130-ish

Griff

Just a bit too far for me to pop in and buy you a pint, 10100 miles.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's day one completed with 'B.A' underway on the rivers. Nowt much to report other than she was spotted underway with fenders down, Bro' had left them down for deep cleaning which we do as and when required.  photographic evidence of this rare event was provided by non other than our very own Londonrascal.  He did not spot any blue fenders however.

Bro' then managed a manoeuvre at Ludham Bridge that I have not even contemplated let alone attempted.  Now I know I have taken 'B.A' through Wroxham bridge astern, but never helmed through any bridge drifting with the Beta shut down.  Bro' managed this evolution at Ludham Bridge quite safely with no bumps or scrapes either.  Of course it was not planned or intentional.

As he approached the Bridge ready in all respects he pressed the horn button on the helm as per the norm.  Only he didn't did he? - Nope he pressed the Beta stop button.  Now there ain't much difference between the two.  The horn button is green with a horn symbol on it.  The Beta stop button is plain black.  'B.A's control panel did as ordered and promptly shut down the Beta whilst in gear set ahead for 4mph.  No chance for an immediate restart as one has to bring the Morse lever back to neutral then turn the key back to off, then t'other rotation to engage the starter, etc etc.  No time for that whilst her way carried her through the bridge.

Just what the staff at Lbby thought of her silently appearing under the bridge is anyones guess.

Anyroadup, no harm done and off they went to Potter.  Then onto Malthouse Broad (And into the Maltsters) for an overnight stop.  Not Jealous at all of course

Griff

Today saw the mini flotilla of 'B.A' and Gold Gem make their way to Wroxham for the obligatory DTS then onto Coltishall where they reside for tonight's overnight stop.  Howard I'm pleased to report is progressing with a few small easy outstanding items on our lists whilst afloat - Mind you, he daren't come home if he didn't !

Griff

Edited by deebee29
Remove unwanted photo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Friday 19th May:
No ‘Video Blog’ this time – sometimes it is nice to be off duty and just go with the flow, not to mention I am still woefully behind with my last Blogs so it is time for a good old fashion write up.

I had been looking forward to the NBN Spring Meet for ages, because it would not only be nice to meet old faces and new alike, but be the first time I had been out on B.A not working on her (well not much anyway – more later) since Christmas last year. However getting up to the boat was the first hurdle normally easily overcome, you leave work, you get a Tube and then the Train to Norwich and then a Taxi. Not on Friday 19th May.

You see for many years now I have had my ‘boating case’ and it has served me very well, spending many a time travelling to and from Norfolk with me since 2012 on many different boats.  However, when I was clearing our my dad’s old stuff you do find a great deal of pristine brand new stuff he had just collected.  He liked collecting suitcases – in every size and type – so when I uncovered a brand new unused hard shell case with four wheels to ‘cruise the concourses’ I thought that could replace my tired and bartered boat case. 

The first outing proved successful taking it with me on Bronze Gem so naturally I packed it to take up to B.A – but you see I had a safety feature in my old boat case, a pocket that had various important things relating to B.A in it and would not be touched – this way I knew exactly where they were, and since I always used this case there was no chance of losing them or forgetting them – if I was in Norfolk I had this case and those items. Until 19th May 2017 that was, when Shiela and I found ourselves at Liverpool Street Station and what mess it was.  Earlier in the day there had been an incident at Ilford Station and this had caused cancellations and a massive backlog to departures – our train, the 19:00 was on time, but had people on it from the previously cancelled Norwich train so it was full – and I mean people standing between carriages full. No worry, we had booked seats – until somebody tries to claim their are theirs.  No madam they would have been yours on the last train to which your ticket was valid, but that was cancelled so you are now on the 19:00 and my ticket has been allocated these seats so therefore my ticket rules supreme we won and held our precious seats. At 18:56 I suddenly had a ‘M.O.D’. This is more commonly known as a ‘Moment of Dread’.  You feel the world has just collapsed beneath your feet, your tummy begins to twist and somersault, you being to sweat and your heart races.  It might be you’ve suddenly lost your Passport, ticket, wallet you know the sort of thing, but for me I calmed announced to Shiela:

Hun, sorry but we have a major disaster on our hands.” 

She looked shocked and annoyed as she took the first spoon of her long awaited Teriyaki Chicken from Wasabi and frowned at me “what is it?

Well, I’ve not got the boat keys with me.  They are in my ‘boat case’ at home and while I can get into the boat I can’t get the boat started and therefore I can’t meet my Mum and Mair and get to the Meet.”

18:57 and it is now a do or die moment – I say the best thing is I stay with the luggage and get to Norwich, you go without anything back to my house, get the keys, return here at 21:00 and get the train to Norwich. Shiela is now going through a mixture of absolute anger mixed with pity for her ‘Plonker’ – people around us can tell something is not too right so when she announced loudly:

Fine ok I will go” followed by “Keep my case and take it with you, I can’t believe you did this Rob

It made everyone believe a break up was in full flow as my girl fled the train leaving me alone holding the bags. She duly did and I having got up and left the carriage felt unable to go back into it with a few hundred eyes looking at me wondering what the hell I had done to this poor girl that was so bad she left in such a rush and storm.  The doors closed, the train lurched forward and we were off. 

The train proceed slowly through the delays still on the line and arrived at Norwich about 40 minutes behind schedule. Shiela mean time had not managed to get more than a few mouthfuls of her Teriyaki Chicken before she got on the Underground and at Finsbury Park found the line was closed due to a fire incident one stop along – she then dived out the station and straight into a Cab to my house.  She had then called me found the case, got the keys and then it dawned on us there were still delays on the Underground – she would not now make it back to Liverpool Street to catch the 21:00 train.  Quick thinking I ordered an Uber Taxi from my phone in Norwich to collect her and 3 minutes later she was working her way through traffic to Liverpool Street.  The App was tracking her Uber, and the ETA to Liverpool Street crept up and up. I so hope she will make her train I thought.

Friday night in Norwich and you want a Taxi at short notice – let’s just say it was a wait I did not enjoy as it gave me chance to ponder things, and just what mood would Shiela be in when she arrived later? 

I eventually got a Taxi and a chap who used to live in Leyton and now ‘had seen the light’ moving to Norwich. We talked about things and I explained about the B.A which tends to fascinate people hearing the story the first time. Before long we were at the Wet Shed and I was in, find the spar keys and start unpacking things and generally making preparations for Shiela.  She had made it to Liverpool Street (10 minutes to spare) rushed to her train and was making far better progress than mine had.  She then duly arrived at Norwich, got a taxi and got on the boat at 23:40. 

I’d eaten a baguette, she had 5 mouthfuls of Teriyaki Chicken – we looked about the boat and found some biscuits, crisps coke and beer. I escaped a telling off and she saw the lighter side of things and commented on what a good team we had been in this moment of panic and how I had arranged things very quickly and sorted her taxi and so on, well it made it seem like I was a strong man with good leadership taking care of his lady – handy that when the lights went out...

Saturday 20th May

I was up at 06:00 – then I was actually out of bed by 06:15 and by about 06:40 could perform some basic motor skills. I got set to with cleaning the windows, and coachouse roofs from the water drips and metal flakes from the Wet Shed roof.  I remembered t o collect all 5  blue shed fenders, cleaned and treated the wheelhouse canopy, watered up and set about stowing various chairs, the BBQ and ‘meet associated items’.

It was after 08:00 but we were soon to be underway, the sun was out and the day was already feeling warm.  A few Richardson’s boats were heading up the Ant to hand back their boats and bring a close to their holiday – we made good progress and managed to get under Ludham Bridge – with the engine still running – I’ll pass this tip on to Howard. 

During our trip down the Ant I had flatted back the varnish Charlie had put on when fitting the new dressing strips to the inside of the aft well, then applied a coat of varnish all while Shiela was a the helm dancing to various tunes.  Now on the Bure and we passed Tim on Belmore – at the time he was cruising in a straight line – and onward to Salhouse we went.  Sometime around 11:00 we came on to the Broad and made our way over to be greeted by the members there, include Andy – a new member, his first meet but an avid Blog viewer who had asked if he might be so cheeky to have a trip on B.A.  We also were using the time and meet to display or Diamond Jubilee Flag and many a boater along the route had snapped our photo. 

We needed to drop off some things, then head to Wroxham for 12:00 to meet my Mum and her friend, so we duly took on our extra crewman and left – once out on the Bure I handed the helm to Andy who relished at this but secretly I think also was thinking ‘bloody hell I better not cock this up now’.  He took B.A all the way to just outside Barnes yard, where I took over and prepared to take her under Wroxham Bridge.  6’ 6” indicated – but just at the Hotel all lined up things began to go a miss when a hire boat backed out – neutral, slow, astern back up let them faff about then proceed once again. Second attempt we went through without issue, moored stern on past the Kings Head while Andy went for a stroll and a drink, I collected my Mum and her friend – then on to Roys whereupon we bought enough food and booze to last the average boater a week – we would be consuming it in 24hrs. 

Back onboard B.A it was Fish & Chips all round, then depart for Salhouse – same high indicated at the bridge, but a harder approach hugging the Starboard bank then a turn to port line up and under – perfect into ‘day boat chaos’ got back on our side of the river and proceeded slowly back to Salhouse where upon many other boats had arrived and soon I was moored up and putting our dressing lines up. 

I helped with the banner and then got various lights and electrics going from B.A’s power house. I later found that we consumed in all 85Ah of power not bad to run all the lights and music we had playing. It was warm and sunny – and then it was dark and cooler – and then it was raining. But then the rain passed and the sun came back and it was lovely.  I made Johnzo’s day by giving him a pristine (still in wrapper) Hoseasons brochure from 1981, then it was time to get the BBQ going – we met various members and Vaughen was great to talk to and learn from – his times working in boats really are fascinating.  

The meet was very well attended and I am sure many like we had a great time – but from the point of view of this B.A thread, we move on to the following day.

Sunday May 21st

I did not get up too early – it was Sunday after all – but by 09:00 was helping the clear up from the night before, BBQ’s and tents, banners and cables – I showed Doug a 1978 copy of Hoseasons – something about them draws us boaty lovers ‘look at this design’ and  ‘whatever happened to those’ etc.  Slowly people began to depart, and for us too it was time for a cruise to Ranworth.  We followed John on Far Horizon with Andy behind on Salerno.

My Mum wanted to take the helm – she did and all was well, few zig-zag moments to begin but then for some reason outside the Ferry Inn she decided to take B.A towards the tree lined bank – and far from making any attempted to correct this, or slow down carried on.  I was close by and told her what to do – we stopped, corrected and proceeded.  She was very sorry more so at the fact she had done it in such a public spot. She carried on at the wheel after without incident – we passed Far Horizon  with photos taken and waves exchanged and later Silver Cloud whose syndicate owners  on this week had also attended the Meet for the first time themselves.

Down Ranworth Dam onto Malthouse Broad – Binoculars out and a full staithe. About turn and now to Ludham Bridge – LBBY for Diesel and Pump-Out.  Just as we arrived an aft cock-pit boat got in first for a pump out – we thought no issue, pop up the other side of the Bridge and wait and return.  How wrong.  Ludham Bridge moorings on a find May weekend really test ones patience, not to mention blood pressure with a pristine re-painted hull and way wood boats on the loose. 

We got past the main moorings but as a Brinks Harmony left her mooring a Richardson’s Carousel paused - was he going to take their mooring or follow Brinks Harmony down river? They were in the middle of the river, so we proceeded to pass on the right as you do – until suddenly Carousel decided to make a hard starboard turn to the vacant mooring space – their stern naturally comes out.  I am not ‘having a go’ more if anyone reads this new to boating and have the control of 45 feet of boat please do look behind you as you go to make a move.  On B.A Shiela shoots to defend her territory ‘the bow lady’ while I go astern and match the forward speed of Carousel - between us we keep Carousel’s stern inches from rubbing down a third of the length of B.A’s hull.  “Watch your stern” I shout and point to its close proximity to our hull, this being the first inkling  the crew had to their back-end heading left as their bow was turning right.  We decided to carry on away from the chaos and pay Robert at Sutton Staithe a visit instead.

We arrived at Sutton Staithe Boatyard, filled up (a mere £16.00 used) and a Pump Out – next one is free having filled our card with stamps. We then moored at the formal moorings strolled over the grass and into the Hotel for a drink. Met Daniel Thwaites from Barnes in there and goes to show what a small community the Broads is and you never knowing who you might bump into. We all remarked on what a lovely time we had had and how none of us wanted to go back to London and work. Alas, we did so it was a short cruise back to the Wet Shed to put B.A to her berth and leave her until the next visit.

Flag.jpg

NBN Flag.jpg

Shiela Underway.jpg

Shiela Helm.jpg

Andy.jpg

Shiela Roof.jpg

• Like 11

Simon great to talk to you too - I think I need to enjoy those classics for a while yet before parting with them, but I have found some Cine Film titled 'Broads' that I am itching to look at but am working on getting the old projector up and running smoothly and if any good will then get the footage transferred to DVD. I've got old slides that may also have Broads pics on them too. 

• Like 1