Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Ditto for me as Alan, and I actually called in Yare House yesterday-Thursday- to exchange my old electric cards for the new ones.I was dealt with promptly and efficiently by a young guy with not a pensioner in sight-guess you were just unlucky Robin

Boycee

:party2:

48 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

"Oh, dear I am sorry but that really is beyond me and the men are not in the office until after lunch" - this was before 12:00pm London time.

What you have to realise,Robin, is that in Norfolk and Suffolk it's 1955 - that's anno domini, not post meridian, especially when dealing with officialdom.

• Like 3

Come along now Pally, stop poking the wasps nest to get a reaction. We all know how easy it is to put typo's in a post, and we all know (and is pretty well documented) that the Rascals opinion of the broads is pretty damned high. Things go 'tits up' and we have a moan. We all do it (generalisation) probably even you (suspicion).

I too have only found the staff of the tolls office to be helpful, but we speak as we find, sometimes just a bit too quickly.

If I were to place the blame for the IT failure, it would be aimed at all those who waited to the last minute for paying their tolls. (I'm a goody two shoes who paid his toll when first asked, back at the start of March).

• Like 5

Paladin I think the post, whilst critical, was scarely meant to be taken as seriously as that! Robin didn't need flaming, just telling to get his act going earlier, but there were good reasons why he didn't if you check other threads. 

• Like 1

Paladin, I respect your posts and marvel at your perfectly concise structure when you write.  For many years I have read things you have shared and admire how you can, through  wisdom and a true grasp of our language alone, win an argument without actually turning to unpleasantness. I may not agree with your opinions but I loved your style.

I am not on your level educationally, and I don't have the time to go over things before I submit them - I am at work, I log in here, post and depart then come back later when I have a moment. You however have something actually very precious on your side when you write - time. Time to compose, to think, to re-read to submit.  Time to research to plan and coupled with your quick mind and dry humour can get to the parts others would love but simply cannot.

But this time, you've assumed and that is always a sticky wicket to be on.

For those who now will interject and say I did not need to explain myself, its ok - I've got this.

I have been spending a great deal of time and money of late on Broad Ambition and I have been doing a lot more at work, and then in the evenings I have been between two properties sorting my late Fathers items out and dealing with Solicitors so far as his Will is concerned and a very prickly beneficiary. 

I've been sweeping my emotions to one side and yet calming my Mum down who has found out the man she had a child with and lived with for the best part of 40 years had lived a double life, had a  flat that was kept secret from both her, me  and the lady he was having the long affair with - his secretary who is now a beneficiary of his Will and has learnt of my Mum's existence recently too along with a host of other professional and non-professional friends who had no idea I even existed! You see I've been a little 'stressed' recently but have been putting a brave face on things.

On the day of my dads funeral Charlie had ridden his mighty Tiger down to London to be there, now that is commitment because he then rode it back to Norfolk to begin working on Broad Ambition that evening, and a few hours later I too was then off up to Norfolk to help complete the works that we had begun the previous weekend because I don't like to let my friends down and I stand to my word. 

Please don't therefore assume things - because  you are far from the mark on this one. I am not being rude to people I do not know, I am simply sharing an experience that I found rather amusing and at the same time almost 'cute' because the way some of the staff at the Broads Authority are. I am not saying they are bad at all, simply that I being from London and dealing with large companies on a daily basis am used to a certain way of being dealt with and pressure, those working in the Broads Authority really do seem apart from the rat race - its nice actually not to have a call centre or a queuing system and pressing numerous buttons to try and get to talk to someone and I was sharing my light hearted take on something. I was being funny.

As for saying "I don’t understand why anyone would want to visit an area of which they hold such a low opinion" you could not be further from the truth - I am actively looking at property to buy in the Norwich area, so this is far from someone that just enjoys visiting the area, he  likes it so much he wants to move there.

• Like 27

43 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Come along now Pally, stop poking the wasps nest to get a reaction. We all know how easy it is to put typo's in a post, and we all know (and is pretty well documented) that the Rascals opinion of the broads is pretty damned high. Things go 'tits up' and we have a moan. We all do it (generalisation) probably even you (suspicion).

I too have only found the staff of the tolls office to be helpful, but we speak as we find, sometimes just a bit too quickly.

If I were to place the blame for the IT failure, it would be aimed at all those who waited to the last minute for paying their tolls. (I'm a goody two shoes who paid his toll when first asked, back at the start of March).

I NEVER pay my toll until the boat is back in the water  - until it is it's not due!

As for payment, I have no idea why BA feel it necessary to make it so damned complicated.  I have just paid my mooring fee on line by bank transfer. The invoice states that 'online payment confirms that you accepted the terms' etc.  It's far more secure this way as well.  I really can't remember the last tine I used a cheque !

Great sympathy with Robin on this one. We found when my father in law  died that there had been another woman in his life  for 63 years! Many emotions come to the fore. Added to that  the business side of a death is mindblowingly all consuming, not just time wise but your brain is never where it should be. 6 months after my father's death and I m still dealing with the practical issues. Back to the original thread I tried to pay the toll on line but was unable to do so. I sent a cheque, should be in time but if not hey ho, too bad they need to get their IT sorted out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

But you were sensible Alan, you called 'earlier in the week' and that can make all the difference :)

Hi Robin,

I only phoned up earlier to report the boat that was listing at Brammerton, it seemed an ideal time to also toll the boat. 

I went partially through the motions of paying the toll on line a few weeks earlier, with unfavorable results, needless to say I was going to wait until the last week.

I am sorry to hear of your family issues that you are having to deal with, it is never easy trying to deal with everything and fit in work as well, you feel as if you are pulled in all directions.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1

Robin, We have never met but really feel for you and your mother. Exactly the same thing happened to a very close friend who I first met at school. His father was the last remaining parent but the disclosure after his death devastated him and his sister.

Chin up these things don't last forever.

• Like 2

Pali is back! Lovely to see you back! (Sorry cba to scroll back and work out how you spell your name today.. I know its different on every forum.).

I must admit the only interaction ive had with the ba is with joel in the tolls and we've had good chats on the email. I called today (forgot about it!) Joel answered and all sorted in seconds. 

Hang in there rascal. Just chat if you need to matey.. 

• Like 2

We are all dedicated to our wonderful Broads, no one more so than Robin

Robin you have my utmost support, I am so sorry for your loss and what you and your Mum are going through

I am not as educated as some on here but I do have a lot of common sense, something the more educated people seem to lack it would seem. There is no need for such an attack, as for the spelling of BA, how many of us have accidently pressed the wrong key, nothing to do with bad spelling, fat fingers as my dad says

Enjoy your new hob Robin but for goodness sake take a tin opener :naughty:

Grace :kiss

• Like 15

Paladin - you'll receive no support from me or from others if you diss Robin on here. I'm not a boat owner and have no experience of dealing with the BA but I found Robin's post hilarious. I can't understand why anyone except perhaps the BA themselves would take offence. 

Robin wow, you've been going through it. I hope you're like me in that our favourite pastime, not only doing the boating thing but planning for it, reading and writing about it gives you some respite from things life throws at you. 

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, Gracie said:

We are all dedicated to our wonderful Broads, no one more so than Robin

Robin you have my utmost support, I am so sorry for your loss and what you and your Mum are going through

I am not as educated as some on here but I do have a lot of common sense, something the more educated people seem to lack it would seem. There is no need for such an attack, as for the spelling of BA, how many of us have accidently pressed the wrong key, nothing to do with bad spelling, fat fingers as my dad says

Enjoy your new hob Robin but for goodness sake take a tin opener :naughty:

Grace :kiss

Gracie.. you will be surprised how much you can learn from google.. its amazing!.. so that and plenty of time can make even the stupid amongst us seem smart...

• Like 6

Good humour, Gracie, not commonsense, that is what we needed on this particular contribution, and it was signally out of keeping with the style of this forum.  A pair of black wellies in a row of party shoes and comfortable trainers! cheers

• Like 9