Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Evening Y'all,

Ok Back home now, so I'll wizz through this real quick before the grey matter forgets it all.

Friday 7th :-  Jewels crewed up from 1400 onwards, 'B.A.' crewed up by 1700 then sailed for H.W's yard to meet with the Jewels arriving in the dark by 2100.  All 3 x crews to Falgate Inn

Saturday 8th:- Sail for The Bridge Inn Acle - DTS.    Sail for Somerleyton,  arrived before dusk, into Dukes Head.

Sunday 9th:-  Sail  for WRC, and Showers / DTS, then onto OBYS for overnight (Macie dog fell in)

Monday 10th:- Sail for Geldestone village by RowenCraft marina, berthed tight up to the disused rail bridge, DTS in the 'Wherry'  All three craft had a fairly long astern cruise out of the dyke no problem, then Sail back to Beccles for overnight

Tuesday 11th:- Sail for Stokesby Ferry for DTS, then onto Ranworth staithe (Full) so berthed on the island

Wednesday 12th:- Sail for Honing, Alongiside the Ferry Inn for DTS and Showers, then onto Wroxham, though the bridge to the 24Hr moorings, evening in the Kings Arms.

Thursday 13th:- Sail for Coltishall right up to the end of navigation, moored by the lock.  Fishing, visit village / Recruiting Sergeant.  Note - 2 x 46ft Jewels and 1 x 40ft 'B.A' all moored and turned safely with ease.  Sail for Horning, through Wroxham without stopping, at Horning, all three craft berthed at Marina Craft.

Friday 14th:-   Moved down to the New Inn for B'fast.  Hike off to showers at Harry's.  Met Chris Bunn at SouthGates regarding 'B.A's slipping into the shed early next year.  Then sailed for Womack Water (Sorted out hireboat bathtub en-route).  Overnight at Womack Water, into Kings Arms for our dining out night with 18 of us dressed as 'Blues Brothers' (Robin went as the tall skinny one)

Sat 15th:-  All craft back to home base. Re-booked Jewels for next year

Summary - All 18 x crew declared that this years Lads Week was one of the best on record.  The weather was overall sh1t which curtailed our fishing time somewhat.  We did however have a dominoes league organised by BreamSlayer which was a great success.  Uckers was also undertaken as was darts as and where a dart board was available. Lapdancers - again failed miserably.  we have at present 19 x crew confirmed for next year, so that has pushed us into hiring the third Jewel but now need 5 x more crew to fill the bunks.  There are many photo's / videos that no doubt will be posted in due course.

Griff

P.S - For the 'Armchair Admirals' on FB NBB, We 'Raced' all three craft across Breydon, then shot Wroxham Bridge with both Jewels and 'B.A' at full power on two separate occasions without using pilots, despite having obtained permission to do so  :liar  :naughty: 

• Like 10

Hmmmmmmm,  there is something new in the water, whether its a natural phenomenon or a man made issue I know not but it's the first time I have seen it.  I noticed that 'B.A' has developed a light brown stain on her white paint on the hull above the boot topping right on the bow where the bow wave is formed.  I was pondering to myself that maybe 'B.A' is telling me that her white paint is getting passed its best and is getting ready for freshening up.  Then back in the wet-shed on Saturday I noticed that all the berthed craft that had white paint low down on the bow had the same light brown stain.  So nowt wrong with 'B.A's paint, there is something in the oggin that is causing this but just what is it?  we need a microbiologist - Where is Martin from Malanka when we need him?   It's the first time I have seen it since we recommissioned 'B.A'  in 07.  Whether it will clean off easily at present I know not as I haven't tried as of yet.

There was a thread running recently titled  'Top Ten Tips' or something close to that.  I was actually the forumite that posted about sailing then realising about being a crew member short, and guess what? - Yes -  we sailed, me as Skipper - therefore in charge and responsible (What?) and proceeded to leave a crew member behind at OBYS - You are not supposed to be able to write this kinda thing up you know!

It was however his own doing as I will explain.  3 x craft ready to sail, we did the pre-sailing preparations, including a head count then we departed first, whilst not yet clear of the floating pontoons and the gap I asked one of the deck crew to make sure the dinghy was with us and secured correctly.  He said he couldn't find it?  Just how the eck did we lose a chuffin dinghy then? :shocked  then I spied it over by the day tripper boat moorings by the path leading to the lock.  'About Turn Class Leader', instruct crew, back alongside stern on outside HM office.  I walked round to our wayward dinghy, rowed it back to J1.  It had been let loose overnight by some ****** no doubt, no harm done.  So we sailed for the second time followed by J3 and lastly by 'B.A', Just as 'B.A' was clearing her stern line appears our 'Missing' crew member Steve G appeared on the jetty at the run and a leap he was onboard 'B.A',  We didn't even know he was absent from place of duty to be honest.  We did a boat transfer in the middle of Oulton Broad 5 mins later to retrieve him.  It turned out that he used the opportunity whilst I was rowing dinghy back to J1 to use the shoreside facilities but neglected to inform any of us about his intentions.  He did state that I must have rowed like an olympian and that we had left him on purpose etc etc.  Of course for the rest of the week as we sailed from each berth there were plenty of deck bound statements like 'Is Steve Onboard'? - 'No he's absent without leave with the dinghy again' etc etc

The other point - at the same venue during the previous afternoon was that our Macie dog fell in whilst stern moored. The tide shifted height, a gap developed between the transom and the stone wall, her back legs missed and in she went stern end first, right under. She soon surfaced and was now happily paddling around the moorings with no obvious exit back onto the shore either, I had to get into the dinghy, retrieve my retriever into the dinghy then back onboard, then to shore where she shook hersen had a barking session before being given a brisk towelling rub down - which she enjoys of course.  If we hadn't had the use of a dinghy we could have been in a bit of a situation there, all ended well though.

Other than that, there was no other points that stand out, other than we had a cracking week between the three crews, the weather now owes us one as it did curtail our fishing time though.

Griff

• Like 6

You'll be pleased to hear it affects plastic as well. It does clean off quite easily from fibreglass, but I'd be interested to know what it is. It was prevalent last year, as well. Never noticed it before that. It forms where the waves overtop the boot top when travelling.

I'd speculated on another thread, that it may be being caused by the fact so much more of the rivers banks are now 'exposed' large stretches on the Bure as you cruise from the mouth of the Ant towards Ranworth Dam once had quay heading - now no more. Leading to Womack Water, all Reeds and bare mud and on it goes.

You can see how the Reeds 'hold' the bank together to a degree, but also how bit by bit the bank is eroded by the water as it goes from a smooth slope when the diggers have departed to the uneven, potted and eroding bank you see now.  It might just be a little here and a bit there, but that is a peaty, muddy mix being deposited into the water - super fine sediment that will be held in the water not sinking down to the river bed.

It is my guess therefore that the rivers are now far muddier than previously, you can tell when you put the mop in the water and see how brown the run off is. If it is not this then it may be as a result of the heavy rainfall of late bringing sediment of different types into the rivers from fields - either way it looks pretty unattractive on a hull.

I can't see that it can me mud, as such, as it wouldn't have time to dry on, before being washed off by the bow wave.

This is nothing new, and I have seen it several times over the years. It usually cleans off well with CIF but it can form a hard crust over a season. It is strange that it happens when the boat is actually moving, at speed.

I don't know what it is, but it seems like some horrible chemical in the water.

"...Seems like some horrible chemical in the water"

Well it is not everywhere on the Broads for sure - when we were on the Waveney all seemed pretty clear and nice - indeed the same can be said when visiting Colitishall but once on the Ant and Bure and it all seemed to turn decidedly mucky. If it is some kind of chemical residue it does not seem very pleasant especially considering the area is now a 'National Park

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I can't see that it can me mud, as such, as it wouldn't have time to dry on, before being washed off by the bow wave.

This is nothing new, and I have seen it several times over the years. It usually cleans off well with CIF but it can form a hard crust over a season. It is strange that it happens when the boat is actually moving, at speed.

I don't know what it is, but it seems like some horrible chemical in the water.

I think that it is diesel spillage, or bilge cleaning. Diesel spillage, regretfully happens in some boat yards and spreads very quickly, over a large area before the contamination eventually disperses.

Old Wussername

Andrew

• Like 1

My Business Partner uses Simply Green on his speedboat hull as soon as he gets the boat back on his trailer after going on  Lake Windermere or on Loch Lomond. On Windermere you get a greenish weed on the hull in a couple of days.

On Ranworth Breeze we have always encountered a  brown/black slick at the water level, it is always a weekly job of cleaning this off when the boat is cleaned. It was just as bad when we on the Northern Rivers at Ferry Marina. I usually clean the boat at water level whenever we are moored side on, it only takes a few minutes with a brush and the river water, just to keep it down.

Regards

Alan

Over time 'B.A' develops the same brown/black slick on the boot topping and slighty up onto the white, every 3 or four months or so I go round and clean it off with a cloth and a foot or so below the waterline to keep it down and her looking proper.

This brown stain where the bow wave climbs up the bow is different though and a first for us.  I too don't think it's a 'Mud effect' or it would have happened way before now,  Chemical could be a possibility but the wildlife especially the white swans didn't have any signs of it and no signs of dead fish either. Diesel spillage / bilge cleaning - that could also be a possibility,  I have come to the conclusion we will probably never know, just have to clean it off and hope the phenomenon ceases forthwith

Griff

As daft as this may seem Griff, I think I know the answer. The brown stain you are seeing isn't mud. It is the natural tannin in the water from the peat sediment. Effectively BA is sitting in a big tea stain.  It is the tannin in the peat bogs and marshes combined with an anaerobic atmosphere (being underwater) that preserves perishable archaeology...wood, leather...the occasional human sacrifice. 

The tannin levels fluctuate up and down but if the new banks containing large amounts of peat are being eroded this will increase levels. Large amounts of weed in the system and no dredging...Hickling...will increase tannin levels as the plant material dies back forming new peat layers, low and high water also affect the tannin level.

It can be a bit of a sod to get off if left too long on a surface as tannin is acidic and the stain will burn into the white paint. When working on digs with high tannic acid levels I used to have two 'rings of no confidence' stained onto my wellies and waders.

Best way to get it off if it does start leaving a permanent mark is Milton fluid followed by fresh water.

• Like 3

Just got off the phone to an ecologist friend who is of the opinion that the combination of the bank reprofiling coupled with the excessive weed and silting up of channels is responsible. My friend was quite concerned over the amounts of tannins that were in the rivers and the overall effect this would have on the mollusc population which would have a knock on effect on the whole ecosystem...I sort of dozed off at that point.

• Like 4

I reckon Timbo is right - this is more like a tea stain. I have noticed that it can build up a deposit over time, almost like the furring up of a kettle. I think that the reason it appears to collect as a sort of bow wave, is that when the boat moors up after cruising, the brown droplets left on the hull dry out in the sun and leave a stain.

For gawds sake don't tell BBC Look East!

3 minutes ago, Timbo said:

What about the EDP version? QUEENS BOAT TEA PARTY The Broads are filled with tea, Yorkshire Tea, in an act duplicating the Boston Tea Party,

The tea of course is Taylor's of Harrogate Made in Yorkshire Tea, nothing but the best ! :naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 2