Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Sunday 25th

I was awake – another minor miracle, what time is it? – 0615 – You have gotta be kidding me! I must have drunk enough to float ‘B.A’ yesterday and yet I’m awake at 0615?  I seem to remember having a few shots with toasts to absent friends etc being consumed last night too.  First things first, gawk out of the aft well door windows (I can do this from the quarter berth whilst still horizontal) and was relieved to see we were still securely alongside. Second thing – having moved ever-so-slightly there was no hangover / headache present - result.  That’s what comes of sticking mainly to one type of drink and never having that ‘Final drink for the river’ – that’s what does you in – I know from previous experience

Ok might as well get up and about and do a spot of fishing, another fine days beckons too.  Tim from one of the Jewels came wandering along taking his dog Meg for a walk, he explained that one of the staff had been clearing up broken glass from the sweetie machine that was now noticed by its absence.  It should have been situated at the back of the restaurant area, there was a ‘Stag do’ group there last night, and he had noticed them hanging around the rivers edge by ‘B.A’ last night after they left the pub so we can assume they were the miscreants that cast us adrift.  The staff member was soon to be knocking on their boat to retrieve the pubs sweetie machine.  Not much point me confronting them as I couldn’t prove a thing, besides it would only have the capability to get nasty involving ‘Our Lot’ and that ain’t what the Broads is about.

Howard was due to be on B’fast duties this morning so I was having an easy time of it.   I heard no ‘Call the Hands’ from the Bosuns call this morning but then we were a bit far away from them. Today’s destination was to be Wroxham.  I wandered down to the Jewels and explained that due to river levels there was very little chance of them getting under Wroxham bridge but they should be able to berth in Barnes yard.

0900 and all three craft are underway, both Jewels passing ‘B.A’ which again invoked the saluting / piping thing once more.  We stopped off and mudweighted on Salhouse Broad for our B’fast leaving the Jewels to meander on to Wroxham.  On Passing Barnes we noticed both Jewels inside their basin stern berthed.  The bridge loomed 6ft 7” showing on the gauge, we passed with more than 3” to spare over the stated airdraft height.  Then berthed stern to on the 24 Hr staithe. It was way too early for the planned DTS in the Kings Head pub so time for some more fishing. Clive / Cathy from Dungraftin came to say hello.  I wandered off to view those damned display flags that state ‘Welcome to the Broads National Park’ with a black marker pen in hand to deface the ‘National Park’ but they were too close to the information office so I was thwarted.

More fishing for me, pondering what was to come during the approaching DTS.  1200 and we are off to the pub for our final DTS – this time sat out in the gardens near to the corner of the cafe which imho was about the safest place we could get.  The final Pass the parcel evolution commenced, yet again it attracted the attention of other clientèle plus passers by – nowt I could do about it.  If I might explain here why the pass the parcel concerned me, one of the T-shirts that was ‘won’ by a crew member and immediately donned had a cartoon of a sailor on it with the words ‘I have a little seaman on my shirt’  there were also other far more risqué gifts along with some proper good stuff (Port and Stbd expensive cuff links for me).      I will digress here, the crew told me that last year they had their annual reunion at Butlins in Skeggy, when they were doing a session of the pass the parcel thing they got a group of girlies to join in with them.  Now this is how devious / quick / clever sailors are.  They made sure that everytime the parcel stopped on a girly the gift was a T-shirt resulting in said girly having to disrobe / don said t-shirt much to the Lads delight, the girls couldn’t work out how they were exposing themselves every round of the parcel!  -  Apparently the result of this was a few ‘Night Navigation Manoeuvres’ – not that I have a clue what that means (Really?)

Yet again we sorta got away with our DTS without upsetting anyone and by mid afternoon our flotilla is underway once more, this time bound for Womack Water.

We passed under the bridge no problem, met up with the Jewels as we passed Barnes, we were in formation one flying flag Golf.  There was one of those large day trip double decker boats astern of ‘B.A’ with the two Jewels astern of them.  The river was clear from craft coming t’other way so I moved over to the Port side of the river to allow the cruise boat to pass.  Then it happened :shocked – Spoken in my very best Star Trek captains voice to Howard -   ‘Engineering, Bridge,  The engine is not responding to the morse control lever’ [I could have done the Apollo 13 quote but preferred the Star Trek version)

Griff

• Like 7

If I may just interject here - for unlike the rowdy Navy types, Shiela and I had a far quieter weekend afloat - no shocking any fellow boaters happened (well apart from the usual funny looks they give me).

Saturday 1st October:

When I go on a boat – be it Broad Ambition or a hire boat, I tend to take with me more non-clothing items than anything else.  While it may look pointless there are many times when a call with come for an obscure item and I will say ‘hold on I think I have one of those’ and moments later duly appear with it.

With the forthcoming Lads Week, I thought I would be sensible and take some of these things and keep some of them in the locker we have at our berth in the Wet Shed.  I’d asked Shiela twice if she wanted to join me, and twice she had said no – the day before going she asks if she can come after all.

So we go by coach to save some money and the journey up was not bad, stopping only in Stratford and Thetford – out the bus station into Sainsbury’s where we bought just the enough for our needs – one night and a day. I am not sure if it was me or Shiela who got carried away, but £56.00 later complete with a Finding Dory voice changing toy we were in the taxi to Stalham. 

Upon arrival I set to loading things into the boat and from boat into Locker and so on and was surprised how quickly it was done and we were ready to depart – it was now pouring with rain outside (what joys having a mooring in a wet shed is).

We left our berth and into the rain – and then I decided to ‘live stream’ using Facebook which I am sure has eaten a heck of a lot of data from my plan, but was none the less a good laugh with people watching and commenting.  We had no real plan on where to go, but I began to ponder what we might do for a mooring as it appeared every good wild mooring on the River Ant was taken.  How Hill came and passed – all full, Ludham Bridge again full – the signage advising for boats of not more than 20ft being ignored with a 45ft Broadsman taking up the spot – still, any port in a storm I guess.

Under the bridge with just 8ft on the gauge a wave to George at LBBY and before long we were at the mouth of the Ant – turn left I said to Shiela and as expected the moorings for St. Benet’s were full – or were they – no there was a space we could get into, and another for about 35ft of boat.  We had three boats behind us so it was a case of breaking the rules and going in on our port side with an ebbing current – but with Sheila’s help at the stern and the bow rope ready for me to take we made a perfect mooring. 

Peace at last, a lovely moody sky but it was dry now and the sun had come out – it felt perfect – that was shattered when I popped into the aft double cabin and found the bed, duvet and part of my Case soaked – the bottom of base of the window frame had leaked.  This has happened in the past, but having had the glass out, cleaning all the channels and to drain water and finding all was good the problem was the slight gap at the joint between hopper base and side had all its sealant missing that I had removed, and re-sealed earlier in the year during a brief maintenance weekend when the engine was serviced.  I duly found the silicon onboard, but it had a small amount in the tube which had ‘gone off’ to a solid rubbery mass. 

By the end of the evening with the heating on the duvet and berth were dry once more – but we had moved to the forward v berths – handy having a bunch of cabins to choose from when only two on board.  It was a very nice meal cooked by Shiela – and I finished off a bottle of red – something later in the evening I was not so sure how good an idea that was.  I’ll drink and drink beer but wine – woo it sure gets to my head (and feet).

IMG_3241.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG

IMG_3254.JPG

• Like 8

And I'll interject with a reply to your interjection :)

Mainly about the leak in the double cabin.  I just can't see the silicone coming out / adrift on it's own - it just doesn't happen, besides it ain't that old and is the proper marine stuff too.  Just as well there wasn't any usable stuff available to you as applying it to a damp area would be worse than useless.  Anyroadup, that leak, it is probably the window glass sitting too far forward or aft in the channel thereby sealing over the drainage hole to snugly, this has happened before and leads to the drain hole not being able to drain quickly enough which leads in turn to the rain water over-topping the bottom support.  Simply by moving the window aft / fwd slightly would have cured it.  We haven't had any leaks on the scale you mentioned ever in the double cabin before.  The weekend of the Beccles event in August, it chucked it down good and proper overnight for an age (Think it was the Sunday) and not one drop appeared in the cabin.  Anyway I will check it this coming Friday with a fresh water hose with the mattress out of the way

Photo's are great btw

Griff

• Like 2

Sunday 25th Cont. . . . . . .

I had nudged the morse control which resulted in it falling forwards with the knob smacking the burr walnut dash, most unusual and a first onboard, that wasnay correct I was musing to mysen.  The Beta remained at 1000rpm. Pulling the lever back to neutral disengaged the g/box and put the rpm at tickover.  We immediately realised that we had control over the g/box but whilst we could decrease rpm with the lever we could not increase rpm.  Quck as a flash up centre engine deck we could move the throttle lever on the Beta by hand and it responded immediately.  The morse control cable was attached in it's normal place on the beta. OK set engine revs at around 1200rpm make for Wroxham Broad, chuck the mudweight over the pointy end and have a proper look see.  The other Jewels were asked to make for Womack water and secure their berths, we would follow on.  Removing the morse lever housing entirely from the dash revealed the inner and outer engine cable correctly in place so it had to be a break somewhere on the inner cable, the lever mechanism was fine too.

Running with the large deck plate up was not going to be ideal so down it went with the stbd smaller one up, I fashioned some cord to the engine lever then by gently pulling it aft could increase rpm but if you let go of the string the rpm decreased back to 1400 - Hmmm, answer was to trap the string under the edge of the deck plate - Result, we were underway once more.  Of course running like this meant we had to plan further ahead, the river was busy with plenty of rag-n-sticks getting lost as per the norm.  We could slow the Beta down from the helm having first released the trapped string, increasing rpm meant lifting up the smaller deck plate then pulling the string then trapping it - are you kinda getting this?

The upshot was we arrived at Womack Water with no incidents.  on a few occasions I had to do the string thing to avoid the 'Yakking Tots' and we overtook two wherries sailing together which was a marvellous site. (Albion and Maud)  On our arrival, the Jewels were safely berthed and the staithe seemed chokka.  We asked an already berthed boat to move along a bit which they kindly did so we could fit in.   A stern berthing (Having transferred the dinghy round to the bow) was going to take a bit of teamwork.  Howard on the helm, me at the side of the Beta with the string removed, lads on ropes / fenders.   Howard did the helm / gears, I did the rpm's from via commands from Howard and it worked just fine.  'B.A' has 24 x Hr breakdown via Boulters.  I elected not to ring them as I did not consider this an emergency, it was Sunday, we were safely alongside, we were in no rush and I didn't want to loose our no call out bonus.  Instead I rang Jason Hatch (SOS:24/7) we gave him the length of our throttle cable and he promised he would bring us one first thing in the morning.  BTW Jason would like it known that the '24/7' now stands for 24 days of the year, 7 x hrs a day !!

We now removed the cable entirely, it had failed where the small rod crimps onto the cable, it had parted at the crimp, the cable was free, nicely oiled with no signs of corrosion or stress - Put it down to a manufacturing fault

Fishing off the foc'sle until around 1900 - and it was pants - not even that good but some cheery banter between various craft next to us.  All crews off up t pub.  This evening there was no pass the parcel/ singing or excess drinking as crews had to drive tomorrow so for the first time this trip it was a calm 'Normal' evening ashore - At last!  By 2300-ish all crews are back onboard and lights out.

Monday 26th

By 0730 - both Jewels have departed for Potter Heigham, taking our figurehead Bomber with them (Willy stayed with us as his car was at Stalham and he was in no rush).  A nice morning, B'fast onboard, more fishing and now it was producing.  Jason arrived smack on 1200.  This is quite impressive and acceptable as 'First Thing' for Norfolk.  By 1300 we are underway for our Wet-Shed cleaning ship as we went as per the norm.  By 1730 we are on the road home.

Debrief:-  One should never say 'Never Again' so I haven't but I won't be volunteering for another HMS Illustrious reunion afloat again in a hurry I can tell you, wallet and liver won't stand for many more of them.  Besides they like to pick a different venue each year.  It most definitely was a 'Riotous Assembly' but by and large we got away with it without (I hope) upsetting any other water borne users. It was a blast at times, I enjoyed meeting up with some shipmates I have not seen in years and making some new friends too.  The weather for the four days was better than we would normally expect for this time of year too.

Our forth coming annual Lads week commencing this Friday will be a doddle after this caper.

Morse Cables - 'B.A' has two identical genuine morse cables that control the rpm and G/box.  To my surprise I have learnt from Jason that there is a better quality Morse control cable called a 'Morse Supreme'  When he told me that I gave him a bollocking for not supplying us with them back in 07 in the first place but he explained that was all he had at the time - Fair point, well made.   So he is presently sourcing us two new Morse Supreme cables, they are a bit harder to get hold of, especially new - old stock as the new - new stock is not the same quality apparently.

Now then, Roll on Friday the 7th cheersbar

Griff

• Like 10

A great read Griff. However it confirmed what hubby and I were already thinking about whether boat ownership is for us. Wouldn't have a clue what to do if we broke down, other than panic! I guess we would be simply making very good use of our breakdown cover. 

Hope the weather holds on a bit longer for your next week away.

• Like 1

What I want to know is how do you manage to get weekend passes for "boys weekends"?

i would have s mutiny on my hands at home!!

sounds like you had s blast. 

Ps. Please tell me there were 2 mankinis onboard? And the second viewing wasn't after bomber had worn it:facepalm:sorry couldn't find a throwing up emoji!!

2 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

What I want to know is how do you manage to get weekend passes 

Simples,, Mark, you should have married a scots lass! They are very forgiving........honest:naughty: I believe MrsG is from north of the border. It does entail though taking them to places like Tenerife as a softner ! :party:

cheersIain

• Like 1

Nope - only the one Mankini - 'Skin' said he 'Took one for the crew' by donning same item :shocked

Passes - well the HMS Illustrious weekend was a one of - he says hopefully

The Lads Week (8 x days) was well established before my MrsG came on the scene as was boating / Broads / Shooting / Bikes etc so I had to lay down a few ground rules in the early years - Paid huge dividends from then on.  Yes MrsG hails from Gourock to be precise, and of course she does do the girly weekends / breaks thing too.

Griff

• Like 7

The big one,  'The Main Event'

Commences once more tomorrow afternoon when 'B.A' and two Jewel of Lights will be crewed up.  'B.A' will make her way round to Potter Heigham to arrive nlt 1900.  Crews will then say 'Heyup' for the first time for a year that evening in the Falgate Inn.  We sail Saturday forenoon bound for the Waveney stopping at The Bridge Inn Acle for our first DTS

Look I know I have said this an age ago somewhere or t'other, and should have posted it a few months back, but you now have notice for Oct 2017. (Unless you are dead jammy and can make it tomorrow)  All you need is a boat (Hired or private), then:-

Our Annual Lads Week, if you want to attend and trawl round with us for the whole week or some of it then you are more than welcome. 

‘The Lads Week’ is a week with no Wives / Girlfriends / Offspring / (Unless male 18yrs +).   Actually - We do allow male under 18’s but only if there is an adult afloat directly responsible for them.

The week is spent in indulging ourselves in:-  Fishing / Pub visits / Darts / Dominoes / Uckers / Sailing and Cruising / Pub visits / Board games / Reading / dvd’s / Pub visits / Male bonding (Whatever the heck that is) oh yes and a few Pub visits.  Having a stress free time.  One 'Themed' dining out night.  Pets – as in dogs are welcome.  Did I mention we may visit the odd riverside pub?

The week is not solely dedicated to drinking or fishing, it is your choice to do as you wish.

Griff

• Like 4

She got to PH for about 2100

----------------

update. Last night Ranworth island (Staithe full). Lunchtime today -. Ferry at Horning. Then by 1600 all three craft through Wroxham bridge (and NO we didn't use pilots for the Jewels) into the 24 Hr moorings for overnight. Sail in t morning for Coltishall. Wx has been some rain every day

Griff

• Like 4