Broad Ambition - Underway on the H2O

Just got off the phone to an ecologist friend who is of the opinion that the combination of the bank reprofiling coupled with the excessive weed and silting up of channels is responsible. My friend was quite concerned over the amounts of tannins that were in the rivers and the overall effect this would have on the mollusc population which would have a knock on effect on the whole ecosystem...I sort of dozed off at that point.

Surely this would be a good point to challange the work being done- on an ecological standpoint save the molluscs and all that, All that extra tannin, The Gall of the BA....

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Tks,  They are having issues today as there is ice in evidence on some of the Broads and ideally they need to get 'B.A's holding tank pumped out, diesel replenished and then get her tucked up in her home berth

I'm due to be onboard 13 - 15th Jan but if there is even a sniff of river ice in evidence then I will cancel the trip before I even think about departing Donny

Griff

Hope it doesn't freeze for you Griff.

Thanks  -  If it does or it has a decent chance of doing so, we will remain firmly in the shed.  Twice I have been caught out, once I failed to get her back into her home berth.  I don't want to add to that tally.  Robin did very well to get her home with forward planning and decision making.  I'd like to say I trained him well - but I can't, with Robin it's all self taught

Griff

• Like 5

Did LR let himself down, sending crew (chief icebreak) out on deck with no life jacket.

Great video and nice clear day, I loved ice in the lock as we set off on the trip boat. 40+ sat listening to the safety tape and then the boat cracked the ice up. Look on their faces.

Did LR let himself down, sending crew (chief icebreak) out on deck with no life jacket.

Imho - no -  as he spent an age defrosting the decks / handrails before they sailed.  Robin in all probability will do with his crew similar to the briefing I give my crew / guests, that is where the lifejackets are stowed, how to use them and inform them it is their decision as to whether to wear one or not if they are over 18 and posses brains that act 18+.  Having said that in some areas if crew are going out on deck I do insist

Griff

• Like 3

The problem with cutting through ice, however thick, is the constant nibbling away of the anti foul, at water level, once that has gone, it starts on any paint. I would guess +/- 2" around the water line, more at speed.

On the canals some steel boats broke through 2-3" even more if they had the momentum, of solid ice, however it had devastating effects on any linear moored GRP boats, and reports of sinkings have ocurred as ice shards have penetrated the thin GRP hulls.

We chose to be in a marina, so avoided this peril.

So caution needed, best to travel slowly through already thin broken ice, than be the pioneer making the first break of the ice.

In the old days where canals had to be open, they had ice breaker boats, towed by several horses, these boats were wooden and generally rounded hulls clad in steel plate, several men held onto a central rail and rocked the boat  side to side as the horses pulled the boat and all it's crew. Must have been a very expensive situation, but the canals were the motorways at that time.

• Like 1