Rabbit Help Needed.

Hi all,

not exactly boat related, but today for the first time in our lives, Karen and i bought some rabbit from our local butchers.  It`s rare to see rabbit anywhere these days, and i aked purely because i wanted to find out if there was much call for it. Surprisingly, down here, our  local butcher sells a lot of it, and took us out to the feeezer, as i asked if they would skin and bone it for us. In their freezer, they had packs of one whole rabbit, skinned, boned, and chopped, ready for cooking. We bought one on the spur of the moment, so i asked how you cook it, and the young lad behind the counter said they do it the same as his mother, and told us the recipe. It was one whole chopped and prepared rabbit, one onion, some red wine, and several cloves of garlic (to taste). seasoning as required.  Chop the onion, peel and crush orr finely chop the garlic, put the rabbit, onion, and garlic in a bowl, pour over the red wine, and allow to marinade over night. Then put all the marinade and rabbit in a caserole, and and cook in the oven til cooked.

Does anybody else have any recipes, or recommend any other ways of cooking rabbit, as i`ve never done it before?. I`ve often said that traditional country pubs shouls have rabbit on the menu, as it`s a traditional country thing. Now all ive got to do is cook iyt and try it?.

Rabbit Stew -  you cannot beat it.      I always made a Rabbit Stew at Christmas time.    I used to add a whole jar of whole chestnuts to it just to make it Christmassy and different.    I used to buy diced rabbit in Sainsburys but now you cannot buy it in Sainsburys or any supermarket around here which is a shame.     I will try the butchers in Beccles.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Rabbit Stew -  you cannot beat it.      I always made a Rabbit Stew at Christmas time.    I used to add a whole jar of whole chestnuts to it just to make it Christmassy and different.    I used to buy diced rabbit in Sainsburys but now you cannot buy it in Sainsburys or any supermarket around here which is a shame.     I will try the butchers in Beccles.

Hello Monica,

Rabbit is not for me, however Morrison's do have it from time to time on the fresh meat counter, so check out Morrison's at Beccles or your butchers.

Regards

Alan

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Well I never,  and I always buy my meat from the Butcher in Morrisons.   Will have a word on Monday when I go in.

No wonder so many small butchers are going to the wall..... Our local butcher does rabbit pheasant and partridge (In season) Wild boar venison in (season)..... Use your local butcher or loose him ..........rant over

Charlie

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

No wonder so many small butchers are going to the wall..... Our local butcher does rabbit pheasant and partridge (In season) Wild boar venison in (season)..... Use your local butcher or loose him ..........rant over

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

No rant, just common sense, and you`re spot on, far too many local butchers have gone to the wall because of the big supermarkets.  However, if you look at some of the pricing of QUALITY meat from them, often, you can find cheaper at farm shops, and local butchers.  Last November when Karen and i were on Lightning, we bought a couple of Gammon steaks from the butchers in Loddon. He actually got the smoked gammon joint out of the fridge, and cut 2 nice thick steaks for us, and yes, they were amazing to eat. Much more tasty than the plastic wrapped ones that are usually pumped up with water. AND,  the best bit, they were only slightly more expensive, and i do mean VERY slightly, than the pre packaged thigs from the supermarket.

• Like 2

Hello All,

I was told by a butcher that some of the rabbit that's sold comes from China, and the way they are reared out there is not so good. British rabbit is usually a bit dearer, but much tastier imho, and the best tasting is wild rabbit, if you can get it.                                                                                                                                                                                  Don't know if it's a true one, but when younger l remember being told a story from around the time of WW1 about a mum being given a freshly caught wild rabbit. A little while after she had put it in the oven, it exploded. Turns out the rabbit had been caught near an ammunitions factory and had been feeding on the contaminated grass!

• Like 1

I duly went to Morrisons on Monday and had a word with the Butcher there.     When I asked do you have fresh rabbit at any time he looked at me as if I had landed from Mars.      No I dont he replied,   I have been here for 4 years and I have never sold any rabbit.    Well that was me told.      So off to Seppings the Butchers it will be next time I am in town.

• Like 1

I went into our local butchers who happened to have rabbits hung in the window and asked "are these rabbits wild?"

"No" said the butcher "But I can kick them a couple of times if you want me to" :naughty:

Sorry, couldn't resist, I'm getting me coat :coat:

Grace

• Like 3

Wild Yorkshire rabbit- available from me foc but only if I have had time to go out with the rifle / Macie dog and I don't miss! 

I have two methods of cooking rabbit, in a slow cooker or as a casserole in t oven, both delicious imho.  Pheasant also on the diy menu from my local shoot (and yes I do hit a few with the12g) from October onwards but still got a few left in t freezer. Roasted or slow cooker for these

Griff

I've had 'Griffs Casseroled Rabbit' and it has actually been very nice, washed down with some red wine and good company on a boat in October, you can't beat a good strew.

I am however pleased I was not onboard to sample a new idea he had last year.  Unbeknown to anyone, he had somehow adapted BA's oven to serve as a super slow cooker.  No kidding - the Rabbit was duly put in and 3 hours later was only just a little warm :naughty:

His crew (and to be fair himself) felt the idea was a no goer - so BA's oven has been returned to a normal operational one that gets proper hot.

Wild rabbits, pigeons, pheasant and partridge in season or a wild duck in season, are always available from our son in law, as he shots on the farm he works on, and a lovely duck pond he has on there, the trout are rather tasty as well shhssssssssssssssssss

Charlie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I forgot to post up last weekend.  I cooked it, but did it a bit differently.  I seared it in olive oil, with some onions, then added some chicken stock, mushrooms, and a couple of large glasses of red wine. Seasoned and topped with some sliced potaroes, and cooked in the oven. I liked the taste, but there were lots of tiny bones, which were a real pain in the a..e to remove. To be honest, i don`t think i`l cook it again, as there`s so much waste, and very little meat, so i`l go back to chicken.