The Berney Arms?

Hylander

I have just been watching one of Robin's blogs,  Dream Time  Day 1 and he was at The Berney Arms when it was up and running as a business concern.   It got me thinking and wondering whether or not this ever did get sold.  Does anyone know.    It is such a shame as it really was a good little watering hole.

29 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

The Berney is just not viable as a pub.

It'll certainly never be a gold mine, but if an owner-landlord takes it over I think it will make for a pretty comfortable living. It's been done before and it can be done again. The biggest problem with it now is it's condition. but that's not insurmountable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

It'll certainly never be a gold mine, but if an owner-landlord takes it over I think it will make for a pretty comfortable living. It's been done before and it can be done again. The biggest problem with it now is it's condition. but that's not insurmountable.

I admire your optimism MM. But must ask would you sink a six figure sum, be it starting with just a 1 or moving through 2, 3, 4, 5, ad infinitum. into a pub with vitually no access except by boat. 

37 minutes ago, quo vadis said:

8 minutes ago, paul&lorna said:

I saw that land there last month as we travelled down the New Cut. when we passed i saw a chap walking round it talking to the 2 pilots.

I'd love to know who lives there.

Paul.

Either we were going down the new cut at the same time or the helicopter is a regular occurance

Branden.

• Like 1

we've often admired this building when travelling along the cut and have seen the helicopter "parked" outside on numerous  occasions.  We've always suspected it may be an hotel. Beautiful building surrounded by beautiful gardens. It's about the only thing nice to look at along the cut which is, in the main set in extremely ugly and bleak looking surroundings. It probably hasn't helped that virtually each time we have  cruised along there it has been pouring with rain!

regards,

Carole

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:51 PM, ChrisB said:

That attempt failed I think. The funding closed miles short.

I have never been a quitter, but sometimes you have to know when a project is doomed. The Berney is just not viable as a pub.

If you read the Facebook page, especially the 19th November entry, you will find the project is still very much up and running and looking positive for it being a community owned pub.