December Boating

Hylander

I think one big problem with winter boating is the cold. The weather might be bright and sunny (and there`s another problem), but when it`s cold, it can really get into you.  The problem is, most, if not all, hireboats are not designed or fitted out PROPERLY for winter cruising. There`s no insulation like you`d have at home, and as a result, the insides of a boat can get soaked, purely by condensation. We had this problem on Lightning last month, where when i removed some shirts from the wardrobe on the morning we were leaving, where the sleevs had layed against the outboard back of the wr, they were soaked.  It would be interesting to know if any yard has built a boat with winter cruising in mind?.  As i said, Lightning was designed to run mid spring to mid autumn, and for those periods, she`s great.  Time to look at upgrading her heating and insulation i think?.

• Like 3

Was out on one of the big tour boats last night. Didn't see much!!! Chuffing cold too    

There did seem to be a few people moored up on their boats though  so there're are definitely a few people out  

a few houses in horning have done nice lights up and one in particular is the shape of a sailing boat. Sorry no pictures but worth a night cruise to see if you can. 

• Like 1

I must admit, when we were aboard Lightning last month, we did drive into Wroxham and had lunch in the Hotel overlooking the river, and the thought of hiring one of the many riverside cottages on the opposite bank in late November did cross my mind, AND it does appeal. Maybe even over Christmas one year, as it would be nice to be away for Christmas for once.  I believe Lightning is now out over the Christmas week, so if that was us, we`d probably be heading straight for Loddon and Christmas dinner in the White Horse.

• Like 3

Good points there particularly the issues Neil has raised. it's very interesting how perceptions vary. we are now in our 12th consecutive December on the Broads and almost as many February's. never had a problem  heating on during the day pub in the evening double duvets at night and heating on again in the morning, snug as s bug :-)

• Like 4

Lovely day for a birthday run up The Yare in The little Broom,  hats,  gloves and a blanket sorted out the cold. Out of the water tomorrow for the winter. 

We are onboard Whitey until Wednesday and back on 27th December.  Nice and warm and no condensation.  Just remember to open a window a bit in each area to clear any build up of atmospheric moisture. We use a Kabacher vac after showering to dry the heads and hang towels outside to dry. 

IMAG8692.jpg

• Like 5

I'm assuming your birthday, Mark, if so, sorry a bit late but many happy returns

I've always wanted to do it in December (boating people, boating) obviously the main draw back would be the cold but we would be more than happy to baton down the hatches, heating on with food and wine, our main concern would be the slippery surfaces when getting on and off, I mean, that would kill my heels lol

Hope you had a good one Mark :kiss

Grace

• Like 4

17 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

.  I believe Lightning is now out over the Christmas week,

Saw Lightning moored at Bramerton yesterday, all hooked up to electric. I was fishing and it got to the point where I was starting to freeze so headed home for a nice warm roast. Hope whoever was on-board had a good night.

Branden

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

There are some right softies out there! This lot will be out sailing every weekend throughout the winter months. No cabins or central heating either!

http://norwichfrostbitesailing.club/club-history/

And Not just that lot, Snowflake sailing club at Horning, http://www.sfsc.co.uk/ are out every weekend (not Christmas day but the traditional Boxing day events will be on 10:45 - 13:00. and a post New Years event on the 2nd January, then back to every Sunday till Horning SC take over at the end of March.

You can watch on the Horning Sailing club Web cams or from the Swan Inn Green, or we welcome visitors, come in for a cup of tea or coffee to warm you up, 60p, You might get converted!!!!

The normal SFSC racing is:

First race 10:45 to 11:45

Second race 12:00 to 13:00

Third race 14:00 to 15:00

That is when we aren't sailing off somewhere, see the SFSC website, programme download for details.

Alan,  it's never too early for wine. Surely all the time you have been on this forum in the company of Gracie as taught you that.  I've just returned from the funeral of an old friend  (a lady in every sense of the word) who having had long notice of her demise arranged her funeral herself. And we were all served  glass of ice cold  prosecco with which to drink a toast to her. That's what I call going out with style.

Regards,

Carole

• Like 4

Sorry to hear about your friend, Carole, the lady certainly went out in style, bless her. When my time comes that's exactly the way I'm going to do it.

Alan, getting my words fuddled has nothing to do with wine (hic) :wasted: the way you talk anyone would think I'm a lush :naughty: 

Grace

• Like 2

On 04/12/2016 at 2:31 PM, Hylander said:

Looking at Herby Woods just now (sorry the sun is rather bright and low in the sky today), there appears to be and has been for the past few days a gap where boats should be.   I am assuming they are all out on hire!!!

Herbert Woods only hire a few through the winter. I was around there recently and presumably the sheds are full, and they have put a lot of boats on their new private moorings around the back.

The problem with boats and condensation is a tricky one to solve – but possible and it is not just about insulation and fitting a boat out to cope with the cold – it is about moisture in the air, cut that down and you’ve gone a lot of the way to cure the condensation issues.

You could:

Insulate the interior of a boats hull above the waterline, and then also insulate the interior of the cabin tops, you will of course help prevent some heat loss which is nice, but you’d also cause a barrier to exist between the warm moist air inside the boat and the cold air outside which would cut down on the moisture in the air being able to come in contact with cooler surfaces and condense into water/damp. Problem is, in order to do this would mean much of the interior paneling to be removed not to mention all side and head linings.

Next up is the water condensing still windows and especially the frames. Because they are aluminium usually, they conduct heat very well – taking the cold from outside the boat through to the inside, so the frames drip with water – the glass to a lesser extent will do the same so that also will be covered with water. You can get frames whereby the interior element is separate from the exterior along with double glazed glass – so that’s all the windows out and frames changed more upheaval and expense. 

Another solution is just rid the air of as much moisture as you can by way of a de-humidifier – the issue here is to run such you need a good mains supply either by shore power of generator.  So always a compromise on the average sized river boat but at least it would take several litres of water out of the air a day which otherwise will be causing a damp issue.

I’ve worked out a good solution with a commercial reverse cycle air-conditioner/heat pump system with a central air ducted system which would provide dry cold air in summer and dry warm air in winter but this is only going to be suitable for a boat with enough space for inside components to be put somewhere and outside part of the system too. So, as far as the Broads goes it is just as case of dealing the best you can with the damp.

We use our boat all year round and we love the winter , we are about to have our sixth Christmas and New Year on the river we have a wood burning stove on our boat and we do not suffer with any of these problems , ok we are out every weekend and the stove keeps the boat lovely and dry it also keeps all the condensation down even when I am cooking and I do a lot of cooking , so I would say the best way to boat in the winter is to have a wood burning stove , I don't think the boat yards will be fitting any in the near future lol ... Here is a picture I took on Sunday just as the fire was going out ...SAM_0789.JPG

• Like 2