Blue Ray / Dab Radio / Bluetooth / Mp3 Etc

BroadAmbition

Heyup Chaps & Chap-esses,

Bit of research / pick your brains question,

Where ‘B.A’ is concerned we are considering upgrading our present onboard 12v cd/radio unit which has no blue tooth or wireless connection for iphone music and the like at present.    We are also in need of a blue ray player for our soon to be upgraded tv.  Then I got to thinking (Yes, it does happen now and again) about combining the lot in one unit if such a thing exists.  The unit can be 12 or 240v but not that big as it would be installed where the present cd/radio is mounted, there is room to take a larger unit though.  Do modern 'Posh' cars have such units installed.   Any ideas?

Thanks,

Griff

Only one I can think of do do all that is the Arcam Solo Movie 2.1 (http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,Solo,Movie-System,solomovie2.htm#techspecs ) but it's not cheap and probably far too big and power hungry.  Would have thought a car type unit (would do everything apart from DVD/Blu-Ray) and then a small DVD/Blu-Ray player.  There are TVs with players built in but limited on screen size.

Alternatively, if you have a good 4G connection then use Netflix etc.

I rip dvd's (that I own) and load them onto a NAS drive at home then copy to iPad when I'm coming away then connect iPad to hdmi input on the boat tv through an adaptor  ..... you could also do it with a cheap android tablet with memory card, most of them have hdmi built in these days so no adaptor needed.

You can also download Prime Video or BBC iPlayer content to watch offline

As Jonzo said it's fine for personal use just like streaming over home network is

22 minutes ago, deebee29 said:

and load them onto a NAS drive at home then copy to iPad when I'm coming away then connect iPad to hdmi input on the boat tv through an adaptor  

And ya head bones connected to ya...... neck bone and ya neck bone's connected to ya....... back bone...

• Like 1

Griff, you got me thinking about changing our systems a quick look got these, just need written permission from Jill.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/jvc-lt-32c666-smart-32-led-tv-with-built-in-dvd-player-white-10146804-pdt.html

http://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/dab-car-stereos/jvc-kd-db95bt-dab-car-radio

I already have a mifi so if we cannot find anything to watch/play we will just have to listen to the water!

If anyone decries tv etc on a boat, we use the boat as a summer home as well as a boat.

paul

• Like 1

The way I would go about it is to keep your television and music separate , I would go for a mechless audio system that would give you everything you wont and need radio , dab , iPhone connectivity , Bluetooth , USB and remote control if you wish , but no cd player but who wonts cd's all over the place these day's put your music on your phone or a pen stick or your tablet or even your laptop it's the way forward , I will leave a link to the system we use on The Corsican .

As far as I know you can not buy a 12 volt t.v. blue ray combo , how ever you can buy a 12 volt t.v. DVD combo with USB as long as you have that it then give you the ability to have blue ray , simply put a blue ray film on a pen stick or on a DVD , as long as it is a blue ray file the television will recognise as such and will play it in blue ray , hope this helps here is the link to one of the mechless systems out there , however there are lots of them you need to look about ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clarion-FZ502E-Mechless-Deckless-USB-Car-Stereo-Radio-iPod-Bluetooth-AUX-In-/272462760978?hash=item3f700bcc12:g:sJwAAOSw5cNYOFLW

I'd get:

DAB Bluetooth Stereo with CD capability

Blu-Ray player - this could sit out of sight in the 'cocktail cabinet' (it's a cupboard with glasses and DVDs in it people we ain't Dell Boy on B.A) with HDMI lead out to TV.

AUX lead from TV to AUX input on Stereo to then use the stereo speakers (upgraded and 4x) to play back sound from TV when watching it - I've done this many a time on hire boats. May be able to purchase an AUX to bluetooth system to remove the need for wires.

We have a 32 inch 12 volt television DVD combination With USB connectivity I have 135 gig pen stich rammed full of films T.V. Comedy and not forgetting my Star Track I pop it in the USB port on the T.V. and watch away no leads no DvD player no blue ray play no giant pile of disks so easy... cheers ...

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Why not leave it all at home, moor your boat out on the marsh for the night and wake up in the dawn to the boom of the bittern?

:coat:

I've never understood the need for TVs, DVDs, music, laptops and many of the other accoutrements of modern daily life when I'm on the Broads. I go there to escape from all those things!

Each to their own, I find the radio gives great entertainment, the TV keeps me out of the pub in evening, and when I finally get it going my laptop will keep me up with this forum. When I was a carer, I would have had to have abandoned any thoughts of having a broads holiday from 2006 to 2012, luckily this was not necessary thanks to the mobile phone.

Sorry for the rant but just because some people do not want such things, shouldn't justify them looking down their noses at those of us who do. 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Each to their own, I find the radio gives great entertainment, the TV keeps me out of the pub in evening, and when I finally get it going my laptop will keep me up with this forum. When I was a carer, I would have had to have abandoned any thoughts of having a broads holiday from 2006 to 2012, luckily this was not necessary thanks to the mobile phone.

Sorry for the rant but just because some people do not want such things, shouldn't justify them looking down their noses at those of us who do. 

I would just like to be clear about who is being accused of looking down their nose?

1 hour ago, Spider said:

I would just like to be clear about who is being accused of looking down their nose?

My earlier remark was, of course, flippant and hopefully (?) humorous. It is just that I have seen so many hundreds of customers over the years, who arrive for their Broads holiday in a state of nervous exhaustion. Stressed up "to here" by their job, by their mortgage, and all the rest.

Then I see them when they come back at the end of the week. Some of them have been known to actually throw their mobile phone in the river during their holiday, and they come back as different and "laid back" happy people. This is my delight in offering people such a genuine holiday, and this is the magic of the Norfolk Broads!

• Like 6

Sorry Spider, it is how I feel when this subject comes up, which is quite often.

There are those who come up with the "Why watch TV when you could (read "should") be enjoying the broads"  This observation I have paraphrased, but in one format or another it comes across to me as condescending. This isn't just you and Vaughan on this thread, it has been said by many people, on many occasions, just this time for some reason it hit a nerve.

Sorry, I shouldn't have had the rant but should have waited till the nerve got itself 'unhit' like wot it is now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Sorry Spider, it is how I feel when this subject comes up, which is quite often.

There are those who come up with the "Why watch TV when you could (read "should") be enjoying the broads"  This observation I have paraphrased, but in one format or another it comes across to me as condescending. This isn't just you and Vaughan on this thread, it has been said by many people, on many occasions, just this time for some reason it hit a nerve.

Sorry, I shouldn't have had the rant but should have waited till the nerve got itself 'unhit' like wot it is now.

MM, I was simply responding to Vaughan's post. I did not expect to be jumped upon for an innocent comment which reflects my own experience of the Broads and should in no way be read as condescending. In future I don't think I will bother to post on this forum.