Blue Ray / Dab Radio / Bluetooth / Mp3 Etc

BroadAmbition

Spider, you will be missed.

John, I have to say that I think that you have over-reacted. We must remember that A is better than B and B is better than A and anyway it's all is a matter of opinion and often the topic of good natured banter although, regretfully, not always seen in that light. On the other hand it might be intended as well intended advice and certainly not intended to inflame. Condescending, not intentionally, I'm sure. It's unlike you to take umbrage, hope that I haven't added to that. I wonder how 'Pesky' would have reacted?

• Like 4

Pesky would say :norty: and that's it's very much each to their own, some of us like to watch tv or listen to the radio some of us don't, that's the way it is, either way it's not wrong, as long as we all enjoy and look after the beauty that is the Broads, then surely that's all that matters

Grace

:broadscot

• Like 4

Guys,

There are very few ''condescending'' posts on this forum. It is differing opinions from different people and that's the way it should stay.

Spider,

You are very much entitled to your thoughts on a subject and posting them gives everyone an insight to the different ways on the broads. 

Hang in there and please don't overreact to someone else's opinion.

• Like 7

"Throwing a curveball, rather than mucking about with discs, it might be worth just ripping your films to MP4 and bringing them to the boat on a USB stick and then finding a head unit that will play videos off USB (the model I linked to doesn't do that). You could just connect a Raspberry Pi to the TV for that, though. "

Having just read the above I suddenly have realised that I need to go back to school again.   At 71 I did not understand one word of it.         Ripping films (I thought you meant destroying them) and as for a Raspberry Pi , well  we are having one of those as a dessert tonight.

:unsure:

Can anyone explain please?

• Like 2

On a more serious note,     if anyone has a moment and can explain to me how I get , music , films etc onto a memory stick that I could then take it onto our hire boat in June (gives me plenty of time to organise it) this old lady would be very grateful. I don't wish to be a dinosaur and not learn new things but at the moment I would not even have a clue as to where to start.

I do not possess a Mp3 player.       

We don't have TV on Star Premiere by joint agreement but we do have a radio and some kind of docking device. I don't own anything that docks and rarely listen to the radio, other than sounds of the sixties,and go to bed when it gets dark; that is unless the pub has called. One cannot hear the radio over the engine at present anyway.

• Like 3

going back to the original object of this post and to resolve the contention above, as a boat with several Owners Broad Ambition has to cater for all tastes, so those who dont want to have a TV dont have to get it out, & those that do have the opportunity, Just because it is there doesnt mean it has to be used, any more than you have to use the TV or radio on a hire boat.

As for ripping DVD's etc, that is something even I havent got my head around yet, though I can see if I did I would have to install yet another 2Tb disc to store all of this onto, as my current 3Tb of storage is starting to fill up (probably only 500Gb spare now).

I don't wish to de-rail this thread more than I have already done, but I need to write this post, which will be my final one on this subject.

I have re-read my last post where I thought I'd apologised to Spider. Having done so I can see that my apology was far from clear. Please allow me to correct that. My rant was inappropriate. I should not have typed it. For that I apologise, but more importantly, I might have offended Vaughan and certainly I offended Spider. For that I apologise unreservedly to you both.

John.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Then I see them when they come back at the end of the week. Some of them have been known to actually throw their mobile phone in the river during their holiday, and they come back as different and "laid back" happy people. This is my delight in offering people such a genuine holiday, and this is the magic of the Norfolk Broads!

Hi Vaughan,

We have found this effect on any waterway we have been on, be it the Broads, Canals including the Caledonia Canal.  

You park up after the journey and you can feel all the woes of daily life just disappear, your life batteries are recharged. It does however come as a shock to get back into the car again and drive above 4 mph again however.

The slow pace of any type of any boating is hard to beat.

Regards

Alan  

• Like 2

Evening all yes we do like having a TV on board  broad Ambition however we do not often use it for terrestrial viewing. most days it stays in the cupboard. Sometimes though we will get a late release DVD get the nibbles out settle ourselves down And have an onboard film night and v good they are too. For that we like having up-to-date systems that are easy on the eye, east to use. When I'm solo cruising I particularly like a film night. 2 x years ago I took the entire carry on collection onboard. Those crew members that don't much like the idea is fine with me. I trust they still use gas lamps? No binoculars and definitely no digi cams! cheers

Griff

• Like 3

I got a android box from Amazon to load films on £25 better to you than the Pi and put a 64gig card in it to upload films onto.

The other toy I ordered tonight was a bluetooth RX/TX unit, one we can plug into to front aux on Melody but it and also I can plug into my mixer desk and connect to my large Sony speaker via bluetooth so no messing with cables (less ear bashing) or into headphones. Can update on this tomorrow if anyone wants feed back.

The radio on the boats is one thing that worries me, it can be on for 5 hrs after we've stopped and I'm waiting for the power to go so wonder myself what other options are available to reduce power in the head unit.