They've Started Arriving!

johnb

9 minutes ago, paul&lorna said:

Just got mine, gone up £42 from last year.

:wave  Hi Paul.  I sometimes miss the boat and the mooring at Beccles but since reading this it has started to take the pain away!  Hope you are both well.  Has he built those showers yet?!  Regards Alan and Eve cheers

Hi Alan, Thanks we are both fine, hope you two are also, no showers yet but the old offices are comming on nicely as a luxury holiday let. The other building with the toilets may be comming down then to be rebuilt, 'before they sink anymore'. Don't know how much the mooring fees will go up too.

Paul.

18 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Ours is up £78.24 on last years, almost 17.5% increase.  

Outrageous

starting to take the enjoyment out of it. 

Look on it this way, it's only about £1.50 extra per week. Or, if you break it down over twenty trips this year then it's just under £4.00 extra per outing. Then of course we have the bonus of a smug, self satisfied CEO, got to be worth it;).

I do agree with what your saying JM but what concerns me is that we will again be facing the same level of increase next year purely on the basis they have gotten away with it this time.

I have absolutely no faith in the BA and i am rapidly loosing interest! 

People are likely to be hit with increases from every angle this year and its all just getting well out of hand. 

I seem to remember the BA having "above inflation" tolls increases for the past few years always saying it was a "one off" for one reason or another. I asked many times whether this years toll review would bring in more money overall or whether it was just a redistribution of the overall rates. Something that was never satisfactorily answered.

Mine has gone up 9%

1 hour ago, ZimbiIV said:

If it goes on like this the RSPBA and fisherfolk will be happy NO floaty things on the rivers that demand to moor at the most convient spots with mooring posts etc. 

paul

Please don't tar all of us who wield a rod with the same brush. 

I'm all for the more the merrier and let's all live together. 

I recall fishing in the dinghy a couple of years ago just down from bramerton, not a boat in sight. 10 mins later 20 odd rowers turn up, the safety boat with loud hailer and all. We were on the start line of their time trials!!!!

after much banter (and trying some of our best chat up on lines on the lady oars people) we had a laugh and upped mudweight and went to quieter waters. 

It was let's all share the water and no animosity. I keep away from the start line now!!!

• Like 3

A 25% increase over two years.

They of course are well aware we live in an age of low inflation, low interest rates etc., they also know there is no effective watchdog looking over them, and of course if you can afford a boat then you can afford to pay.

Phillistines to a man.....and woman.

• Like 2

A couple of points about paying online,
1. You can only pay the amount they request, there is not a box to enter a different amount. It has been suggested elsewhere about paying the same as last year, plus a more suitable amount for inflation, say 3%

2. You are forced to tick the insurance declaration. The Broads Act 2009 requires you to have insurance, but doesn't make it a condition of them issuing a toll. I suspect very few people insure their boat from the 1st April, but more likely on the anniversary of purchase of the boat, meaning the onus should be on the BA to perform regular random checks throughout the year, and for them to know what constitutes a valid insurance. The two are separate matters under the 2009 act. This is an abuse of power. If buying a toll in advance, as in to run from the 1st April your boat could be currently out on the hard standing and therefore there is no requirement for it to be insured. You could, or should be able to buy your toll now, even if you were not launching till mid May, and there is not a thing they can do about insisting you have insurance. It is an abuse of a power hungry authority.

Be aware that Steve Slippery Shoulders Birtles is putting the onus on YOU to make sure your insurance meets the requirements of the 2009 act, not The BA.

Quote "Boat owners are required to make a declaration that they have insurance in place at the time of paying their tolls which all have done either in written form or by oral means over the phone. We do not verify that boat owners have insurance that is compliant with the Act as it is the responsibility of the boat owner to ensure that insurance they hold is in accordance with the Act provisions."  

There is no byelaw that supports the actions of The BA in requiring you to make a declaration about your insurance. On that basis I would encourage everyone not to use the online facility since you cannot renew without being forced to make the declaration. I would encourage everyone to renew the toll over the phone and demand that they issue a toll and that you are making no comment about your insurance.

The Broads Act 2009 does allow them to stop you and ask to see a copy of your insurance, but then to do that, they would need to know if it meets the requirements of the act!!!!! See Stevie's comment above Smile

• Like 3

I am in total agreement with paying last years amount plus 3% but this doesnt seem like its going to be possible.

If you cant change the payment amount in the system online then I imagine over the phone they will refuse anything less than payment in full and sending in a cheque may not even be presented and then its non payment.

They have it totally sewn up dont they! 

• Like 3

Not received mine as of yet, won't be paying until the boat goes back in the water. My insurance was renewed today. Just one of the many things that disturbs me about the current regime at the BA is the lack of oversight and the way in which anything or anybody that does not agree with the Broads Authority is fired, investigated or swept under the carpet. Even the press seems to be easily hushed and shushed. The amount of misinformation on the Broads Authority's web site would be hilarious if it wasn't so blatant and unchallenged.

But there is oversight of the Authority...of sorts...we are doing it now, well day in day out. Every bit of 'guff' that emanates from Yare House gets discussed, reviewed and commented upon. Trouble is...the Authority take no notice. I keep seeing a little phrase pop up in every single discussion on the antics of the governor of the feudal state that is The Broads. " I don't have confidence." I have a great respect for the actual 'boots on the ground' Authority employees I have dealings with but the executive? No I don't have any confidence in him or the rest of the faculty at the Unseen Polytechnic either. And it's not just with regard to boating...I wouldn't trust them with wildlife conservation and having seen the way they run a meeting, a trip to a brewery would be beyond the abilities of the executive.

I doubt whether it will have any effect at all but I sometimes wonder whether an independant list of like minded folk...which can't be swept under the carpet might cause a few sweaty buttocks...

"We the undersigned believe the existing legislation governing the Norfolk and Suffolk Broads the best solution to represent all stakeholders. We disagree with the vision the Broads Authority Executive has for the Broads and have no confidence in their ability to manage the Authority with regard to its five duties in an equitable manner."

Bit controversial...not very well worded...might not get many signatures other than mine, but it would be public and slightly less unsweepable. But it is how I feel.

• Like 6