They've Started Arriving!

johnb

41 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Found ours last night.  They are demanding £514:00 this year a rise of £74:92 or 17%  someone remind me what is the national rate of inflation again?  twoguns:pcwhack:  :summertime:

Griff

Griff it depends which index you use...... :-

RPI.....................................= Retail Price Index

CPI.....................................= Consumer Price Index

PIS.....................................=  Packman Income Supplement

Say No More...........:naughty:

• Like 2

My toll remains the same. Marina up by £ 24, not too bad. But I shall still have to balance Use Vs Cost at the end of this season.

Being on my own my late wife's tax allowance has gone along with her income related OAP. Leaving me over £600 per month worse off with the same overheads.

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Found ours last night.  They are demanding £514:00 this year a rise of £74:92 or 17%  someone remind me what is the national rate of inflation again?  twoguns:pcwhack:  :summertime:

Griff

Not only that but next year's rise will be based on this years bumper demand. Packman must be laughing his socks off!

9 minutes ago, RumPunch said:

£2.65 down on my 23' aux yacht.

99p down on a 14' dinghy

It'll get me a pint I guess !

£3.64! Pint of mild maybe, you will be pushed to get a decent pint of bitter for that in most places.

I have no idea how to use a "Freedom of information" request but I wonder how much money will be received compared with last years tolls. whether the savings made by some will balance with the increases paid by others.

If it does balance within the scope allowed for for inflation then our arguments will have to be very different from those used if it does not balance.

Without that single piece of information, whatever we say is totally meaningless.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have no idea how to use a "Freedom of information" request but I wonder how much money will be received compared with last years tolls. whether the savings made by some will balance with the increases paid by others.

If it does balance within the scope allowed for for inflation then our arguments will have to be very different from those used if it does not balance.

Without that single piece of information, whatever we say is totally meaningless.

I think the answer to that will probably in the BA Navigation Committee Tolls Review 2016 document, maybe someone could provide a link to it? I'm afraid I'm pretty hopeless with linking things from the internet -sorry! I seem to remember a figure of an overall increase being set at 3% although I may have dreamt that. The BA provided us with so much documentation surely designed to confuse and befuddle the ordinary boater!

5 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

Hang him!!! Cheap skate:bow

at least one happy customer. You might need a few more years of savings to help pay for that new engine though Brandencheers

At £22 a year that's only 100 years to pay off the engine so along as I live to 125 I'll be laughing :dance

I could always get 22 lottery tickets a year, you never know :naughty:

• Like 5

My bill arrived that won't get paid until the last week in March, as usual. Also the same day came the letter from HMG showing how much tax I paid this year.

At least BA spelt my name right, HMG spelt it wrong....In two places!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheQ said:

My bill arrived that won't get paid until the last week in March, as usual. Also the same day came the letter from HMG showing how much tax I paid this year.

At least BA spelt my name right, HMG spelt it wrong....In two places!!!

How on earth can anyone misspell Mr Q for heaven's sakes?

• Like 1

Back to the toll demand, mine arrived this morning. Whilst I went to the Broads Authority meeting that passed the rises for the 60% of boats I didn't realize the detail for the remaining 40%, those who would pay less. The toll on my 11', outboard powered dory has dropped appreciably to £64.00 but my single seater, paddle powered kayaks are £32.85 each. In comparison the difference is an illogical nonsense. I thought that the whole idea of the toll review was to create a more fair system and one that would encourage the smaller boats that are used by youngsters, such as kayaks. I am sorry, but I don't see many youngsters lashing out £32.00 when they can find so many waters in Norfolk & Suffolk that are free, no launching fee either. Personally I reckon Packman has pulled a fast one and got away with it. Next year's rise, if it's across the board, will be X% on top of this year's hike.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I am sorry, but I don't see many youngsters lashing out £32.00 when they can find so many waters in Norfolk & Suffolk that are free, no launching fee either.

The Broads Authority should be encouraging youngsters onto the rivers and broads, as you say they will use waterways that are free to use. 

No doubt clubs that own kayaks for youngsters use will also use other waterways.

Getting youngsters involvement in the Broads is the key to its continued use.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

The Broads Authority should be encouraging youngsters onto the rivers and broads, as you say they will use waterways that are free to use. 

No doubt clubs that own kayaks for youngsters use will also use other waterways.

Getting youngsters involvement in the Broads is the key to its continued use.

Regards

Alan

I think you'll find that there's a scheme for paddle sport clubs working with youngsters locally that means each canoe/kayak does not have to pay an individual toll to use the rivers/broads.  And of course, membership of British Canoeing means you can use your canoe/kayak without paying any fee direct to the BA.

• Like 2

Mine arrived this morning. Little dinghy now £32.85. However in the continuing loft clearance found these toll discs from 1973/1976/1977 show it went from £3 to £6 in 3 years. That is inflation and from the GYP&HC not BA. Should add now just rowing not sailing

IMG_20170218_183522875.jpg