Wind Amber Warning Thursday

ChrisB

I have just viewed the North Atlantic charts from Northwood and it appears the wind will veer SSW to WbN or NWbW. Should max approx 1500. So thankfully worst during daylight hours although that could be a double edged sword if travelling by road.

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I've just viewed the above post and not understood a word of it...  though it all sounds better than the "yellow snow warning" we had a while back. 

The gentleman is referring to compass points, but I didn't realise we still used them, these days!

From SSW (sou-sou west) you go through sou-west by south, sou-west, sou-west by west, west sou-west, west by south, west, and finally, west by north. This used to be called "boxing the compass".

As each compass point equates to 11.25 degrees it would have been easier to express this as a wind veer of just over 80 degrees.

NWbW would indicate a further veer of 22.5 degrees.

Edited by Vaughan
got it wrong the first time!
  • Like 1

Well, I have said about Thursday! But up here on the North Norfolk coast the wind has just kicked off. We are paying for the last few days of better than spring conditions. Time 02.20

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Sorry, shows my age, did my Yacht Master in 72.

I did seamanship and navigation at "O" level, in 1964! One of the practical questions was always "box the compass from ...... to ......." and you had to recite them by heart. I was pleased to see I still can!

Navigation lights incidentally, show from right ahead to "2 points abaft the beam", or 22.5 degrees. This is also the definition of an "overtaking" vessel. Once he is less than 2 points abaft the beam, he is no longer overtaking, and you may then have to give way to him.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2017 at 6:03 PM, ChrisB said:

I have just viewed the North Atlantic charts from Northwood and it appears the wind will veer SSW to WbN or NWbW. Should max approx 1500. So thankfully worst during daylight hours although that could be a double edged sword if travelling by road.

This is actually more interesting for the yachtsman, than it might seem. I was thinking about this yesterday evening -

Winds always blow anti-clockwise round a depression, so a large veer and increase of wind over a short time, from those directions, would indicate a deep depression to the north of your position, heading eastwards. I had not seen an English weather forecast for a few days but I had a look this morning and sure enough, there it is, to the north of Norfolk.

If you have a barometer on your boat - a rather useful bit of kit - and you also see a rapid drop in pressure over the same period, then that is a very good time to stay in "The Shed" in Wroxham and go no further!

AHA, beat the lot of you. Between March 75, and October 88, i worked for a company called S.I.R.S Navigation. We used to manufacture and repair virtually every form of navigational instruments going. From compasses, to sextants, to azimuth circles, to star globes, etc etc etc. All mechanical stuff, BUT the company is still going, and is based close to Meopham Green in North Kent.  They do have a website, and if anybody has any instruments that require repair, or even buy new, check out their website.

• Like 2