Wind Amber Warning Thursday

ChrisB

48 minutes ago, Gracie said:

So sorry to hear this Charlie, hope you can get to her and sort it soon

It's been dreadful here, as far as I know it's only been the odd dustbin blown over though, so not as bad as some of you have got it

Stay safe everyone

Grace :kiss

Off up there in the morning darlin as long as the trees have been cleared so we can escape. One of those things no good stressing whats done is done. Well bechecking Orca for the boys though while there.

Nope been real bad here today worse than forcast.

Yup all stay safe possessions can be replaced lives cant

Charlie :kiss:arms:

• Like 3

I have just read that there are up to 40000 without power in East Anglia, 12000 in Suffolk.

About four years ago our village sub-station was made about five times bigger in order to supply Bacton Gas Terminal which has retired it's turbines and gone totally electric. We were forever getting cuts but no more. I guess that they must have power at all costs. I will go to Stalham and check the boat in the morning but I did give it a good look over on Wednesday.

We have been on what looks to be half the normal volts!!! And the odd total cut. Since early afternoon and still not back yet. 

Lights all dim, boiler won't fire up, leccy oven not good. 

Fridge is still working as is the wifi and telly so I can still get ice for the g&t!!! kettle actually works as well. Amazing what things you find will work on reduced volts  

just hope the boiler fires up tonight or it's a cold shower for me in the morning!!!!!

I did my good deed for the day. A tree had fallen near my daughters playgroup blocking the path and cycle route for the school and anyone heading from city centre to Lakenham asda. Everyone went a different way or climbed over the tree moaning about it. I went and bought a saw spent about an hour sawing through it then dragged it out of the way. Would of been alot quicker if atleast one person had offered to help :/

Branden

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, brandenjg said:

I did my good deed for the day. A tree had fallen near my daughters playgroup blocking the path and cycle route for the school and anyone heading from city centre to Lakenham asda. Everyone went a different way or climbed over the tree moaning about it. I went and bought a saw spent about an hour sawing through it then dragged it out of the way. Would of been alot quicker if atleast one person had offered to help :/

Branden

At least your BIL has a source of timber for his boat.

• Like 1

On Sunday I went to the sailing club, to find something rather large missing...

The flag pole, its got about 30ft of steel tubing then another 20 or 30 foot of wooden top mast. Seemingly the topmast broke at the metal-wood join, and the whole thing has been removed for repair.

I'm told that several dinghies on the island fell  over in the wind but nothing major occured.

When Putting out the buoys we discovered that one of the four Mooring ropes on my motorboat had frayed through, so the bow was rubbing on the quay  heading. Not suprisingly it was the windward mooring rope on the river side of the mooring. The now  somewhat shorter mooring rope has been reattatched, it was the oldest one I had been planning to replace anyway.

A trip up the river showed, just one private boat on it's chalet mooring had a blown in window in it's cockpit cover and a very old wooden shed that is on a plot that was abandoned until recently has lost it's roof..

on my drive home last thursday 3 lanes of the M25 were covered by what looked like the complete side or roof of a lorry, or maybe a building, the part was nearly 30 foot long by maybe 20 foot, with some attendant debris, everyone was just driving round it, while a highways england landrover was just sitting there with the driver looking at it as though wondering how on earth to remove it, next day when I came through it was mostly sitting in the field next to the motorway, I reckon he lifted one edge high enough to let the wind get under it and move it off the road.

Morning all.

Got down to G.K. about 4am today. Wind howling in Horning and rain was like stair rods in the headlights coming down at about 45 degrees,  not pleasant. Roads were pretty bad too, some very frequent and very deep water on the A47. I thought  I had hit something solid at  one point, got blinded by main beam of oncoming truck  and hit some  standing water at about 45 mph  ,  the wave came over the bonnet! Here safe  now so hoping to get some work done and sort out a few  ventilation problems.

cheers 

Trev

• Like 2