Old Broads Boats

webntweb

11 hours ago, webntweb said:

You're right w-album. It's Woods, under the footbridge and just on the left hand side.

You gave the game away, I had actually thought it was Ludham Bridge but also saw what I thought was Salvor which will explain the photo being in Woods basin!!! :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, w-album said:

You gave the game away, I had actually thought it was Ludham Bridge but also saw what I thought was Salvor which will explain the photo being in Woods basin!!! :default_biggrin:

I'm also wondering whether ahead of Salvor and the other moored boat, you can see the stern of the Lady Yacht Club Committee Boat 'White Heather' - there is a good photo on page 149 of Jennifer Woods  book on her father's life and legacy

• Like 1

That is a very historic photo. I have never seen a photo of Jenners wet sheds before, although I used to work there, when the yard was running.

It must have been taken shortly after the Jenners hire fleet closed down and I can see there are still several old hire boats moored in there. I think I can see a couple of old Dawncraft boats but most of them seem to be original Jenners. The sheds were pulled down as soon as the yard closed but the supporting pillars can still be seen in the basin today.

What a shame this photo never surfaced, during all those court cases about the right to moor in Jenners basin. It might have caused a different outcome!

The Town House quay was part of Jenners boatyard in those days, as the Millbank family owned the hotel, as well as the Jenner Group operation. You can't even moor there any more - the whole of the quay heading has fallen in and is now signed "unsafe".

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

The sheds have a modern look about them which belies how old the photo is.

They were only up there for about 6 years!

I was saying on another thread, that Jenners was an adventurous project, but it expanded too quickly and ran out of cash flow in the bank.

I have to say this brings a bit of a tear to my eye at this present time, as what you see represents the remains of yet another drastic recession in the hire boat business. It took around around 6 or 7 years for the Broads to recover from that one.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

They were only up there for about 6 years!

I was saying on another thread, that Jenners was an adventurous project, but it expanded too quickly and ran out of cash flow in the bank.

I have to say this brings a bit of a tear to my eye at this present time, as what you see represents the remains of yet another drastic recession in the hire boat business. It took around around 6 or 7 years for the Broads to recover from that one.

I personally think this was the start of the industries slow but steady decline. Up till then it seemed to be just boom boom boom.

As a punter in the know your would avoid Jenners at all costs. 

One very respected hire boat operator once told me that whilst working for Jenners he was sent to check over the engine of a boat due out that day. Only one problem...........the boat had no engine!

Fred

• Like 4

2 hours ago, trambo said:

With far too much spare time I've been trawling through some of my favourite photo sites and found this gem on Flickr from foundin_a_attic.

img261

I take it was shot from the Town House Hotel.

What period in time are we looking at here please?

11 minutes ago, trambo said:

One very respected hire boat operator once told me that whilst working for Jenners he was sent to check over the engine of a boat due out that day. Only one problem...........the boat had no engine!

You are absolutely right my friend!

Perhaps I should tell a few true stories about Jenners, but maybe tomorrow, on a different thread?

• Like 6

Just now, Vaughan said:

Not much more than a year either side, to my memory.

Thank you Vaughan,

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

You are absolutely right my friend!

Perhaps I should tell a few true stories about Jenners, but maybe tomorrow, on a different thread?

Yes please!

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

That is a very historic photo. I have never seen a photo of Jenners wet sheds before, although I used to work there, when the yard was running.

It must have been taken shortly after the Jenners hire fleet closed down and I can see there are still several old hire boats moored in there. I think I can see a couple of old Dawncraft boats but most of them seem to be original Jenners. The sheds were pulled down as soon as the yard closed but the supporting pillars can still be seen in the basin today.

What a shame this photo never surfaced, during all those court cases about the right to moor in Jenners basin. It might have caused a different outcome!

The Town House quay was part of Jenners boatyard in those days, as the Millbank family owned the hotel, as well as the Jenner Group operation. You can't even moor there any more - the whole of the quay heading has fallen in and is now signed "unsafe".

Also with too much time on my hands, is this the place? Don't cry.. https://www.innkeeperslodge.com/hotel/the-town-house-norwich-norfolk

• Like 3

A few moons ago I rented a flat for a couple of years which looked over Townhouse and into the basin; sad as it was to see Morning Flight resting on the bottom there was an air of calm every morning and evening whilst I crunched my corn flakes and sausage cassoulet respectively, even with the new park beyond a very nice place to live. A few more years prior to this chapter I had become acquainted with the Jenner brothers Bill & Jack who had fought a war and come back to nothing, I think their father had been unable to hang onto the yard for them. Bill did make me smile when he said that having later set up their own yard also in Thorpe and ordered supplies  sometimes they never got a bill meaning it was almost certainly lost in the JoT account!

• Like 1

Don’t date the photo by the car! I think this is around 2004 unlike the limited edition “chequered flag” mini which was probably 20 years old. I think the tide is in and the wet shed piles clearly visible. A pair of swans nested on the boat one season.

403C2917-88F8-4F26-BAC2-198DC0151603.thumb.jpeg.85e06fce0299540154fcb320b42fc4e5.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Bill did make me smile when he said that having later set up their own yard also in Thorpe and ordered supplies  sometimes they never got a bill meaning it was almost certainly lost in the JoT account!

That was true as well! Their yard was Jenner Brothers, on Bungalow lane. It sometimes worked the other way though. I gather they used to get a lot of angry letters from solicitors chasing Jenners' overdue accounts!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, webntweb said:

Monarch 1 approaching Wroxham bridge in July 1963. Still under Banham's ownership looking at the pennant on the bow.

There's what appears to be a converted Wherry out of the water on the left just past Powles? boat sheds.

1963 July Wroxham Monarch 1 825.jpg

The large passenger boat, moored on the left, could it be either Princess Elizabeth or Princess Victoria? I remember them always moored near Norwich Yacht station, but I can't find any pictures or history.

3 hours ago, Davydine said:

The large passenger boat, moored on the left, could it be either Princess Elizabeth or Princess Victoria? I remember them always moored near Norwich Yacht station, but I can't find any pictures or history.

Here's Princess Mary in August 2003 - a bit far from home.

DSC00500.JPG

• Like 5