Old Broads Boats

webntweb

The bells of Thorpe Church were only rung once when they were installed and the church was new. The team of bell ringers came from St Peter Mancroft to ring them. When they started the tower shook so badly that the architect rushed up the stairs and stopped the ringing as he feared the tower would fall. They are not swung but a small hammer is swung against them by ropes in the tower. I helped our vicar with the mayor and two visiting Canadians to play a tune on them in 2018. The church was designed by Thomas Jeckyll and built in 1866. The tower was never strong enough for a full set of bells and they were all swung in the same direction instead of opposite directions to balance out the forces.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, chameleon said:

how about this taken 1970

img023.jpg

O.A.King's Silver Dawn which by 1970 had become Dawncraft. Built in the 1930s Silver Dawn was a larger version of their Crimson Dawn class and was distinguished by having an enamel rather than varnished hull.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, trambo said:

O.A.King's Silver Dawn which by 1970 had become Dawncraft.

I was wondering about that, as I know Dawncraft's fleet were sold to Jenners in 1967, along with many others, such as Landamores and Windboats. I had noticed though, that the name seemed to continue afterwards.

Great image from "Berties World" on Flickr.

View from Berney Arms Windmill towards Breydon Waters

I had better eyes four years ago  and this was my comment;  "An absolute boat anoraks dream photograph. From the mill moored, Poolcrafts Broadway, Ernest Collins Golden Emblem, Beaver Fleets New Generation, an ex Herbert Woods Starlight then in the Dawndraft fleet as Dawn Wanderer, an Elysian 27 but could be from many yards and a Johnson Yacht Station Anglia class after that definition is a bit poor. On the river from the mill is an R & C Bondon Pradel class and one of the mid-sized Martham Boat & Developments classes after that the eye strain comes in! Thanks Bertie for a great photo and for getting the grey cells awake."

A number of further notes on the scene which is late 70s.  How poor the mooring areas are by todays standards They would all have been taped off as high risk today. How busy it is, plenty of custom for the pub and the mill is open. Some remnants  of the cement works seem to remain. Have not seem them recently. Are they gone or is it me missing them?

Further Norfolk Broads treats from "Berties World* can be found on his Norfolk Broads Album. Click on above  photo and were it says "This photo is in 1 album " click on Norfolk Broads.

Fred

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, trambo said:

Further Norfolk Broads treats from "Berties World* can be found on his Norfolk Broads Album.

Excellent viewing Fred, thank you. Interesting to see a picture of P50 at Reedham, that boat was still on hire with Pacific Cruisers until very recently. I love looking back at these old shots to see if I can see one that we hired over the years. I bet others do that too!  

1 hour ago, trambo said:

From the mill moored, Poolcrafts Broadway, Ernest Collins Golden Emblem, Beaver Fleets New Generation, an ex Herbert Woods Starlight then in the Dawndraft fleet as Dawn Wanderer, an Elysian 27 but could be from many yards and a Johnson Yacht Station Anglia class after that definition is a bit poor. On the river from the mill is an R & C Bondon Pradel class and one of the mid-sized Martham Boat & Developments classes

I agree in every detail!

I had one of Barry Johnson's Anglia class in my own fleet, called "Sir Galahad", so that one could well be my own boat.

The one on the move beside the Martham (Juliette?) seems to say Brinkcraft and I think the one going downstream in front of it is one of Wards, maybe Sea Roamer. I also think I can see one of the Loch Earn class, from Loynes.

Thanks very much for posting it!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I had one of Barry Johnson's Anglia class in my own fleet, called "Sir Galahad", so that one could well be my own boat.

Was that at the old Golling's yard and shop at Womack Water? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I think the one for hire on the Thames is an Anglia class - they've done a good job of restoring her.

3 hours ago, trambo said:

Great image from "Berties World" on Flickr.

View from Berney Arms Windmill towards Breydon Waters

..an ex Herbert Woods Starlight then in the Dawncraft fleet as Dawn Wanderer...

Fred

Dawn Wanderer 1 is still going strong. This taken last Monday...

20171214_130256.thumb.jpg.e5e89ab25f95233ec17f3213b4556814.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I enjoyed looking through the FlickR album. Here's my personal favourite entitled "Fun and games at Great Yarmouth" 

Fun and games at Great Yarmouth

i agree, this is the most interesting of them. It strikes me it must have been so difficult to moor or pass through Yarmouth at times of fast currents. If you think of the period just before low water where the tide runs fast, then imagine boats trying to turn in this crowded corridor. There must have been many bumps and accidents. If only webcams were around then. The other thing that occurred to me is that it must have been tricky for people on those boats moored in the foreground, to actually get on or off. I can remember times moored at Yarmouth where the  tide dropped so much, you needed to look upwards to see ground level!

• Like 3