My Day

LizG

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

In actual fact this story is quite genuine and is a little "piece of history" in its own right.  It is a tale which was told on the mess decks all over the Navy during the last war and was told to me by a good friend of my father, who also served in the Navy in those days.

As such, it is typical of the British "matelot's"  rather special sense of humour, which is also to be found in the other armed forces.  I simply felt it might be a humorous adjunct to Griff's lovely reflections on the Navy as it was in those days and after.

I apologise if you did not appreciate it in the spirit in which it was intended.

No no , I enjoyed reading it , I just thought I would add “my own” history about the Hood  , and I certainly took it in the right spirit 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling a bit tired. Helped  out with the boys and girls at Hemsby  Lifeboat, Fireworks last night.A good but busy night.Think we did well very big crowd.Think we fed all of Hemsby,Caister,Martham  and perhaps parts of GY.This afternoon atTesco Caister  selling Poppy's. 

Busy, enjoyable weekend and I'm  always  glad to help when I can.

• Like 7
  • Love 2

You've been a tad quiet on here Ian, I was worried and going to PM you this weekend but it seems you've been busy doing your Charity work once again, you're a star :default_icon_kiss:

We were going to a big parade and display tonight but I think it may be cancelled, the wind and rain are relentless at the moment. The field it's being held in is in a slight dip it must be like a swamp, I don't think my pink wellies will hold up :default_biggrin: 

Stay warm and safe everyone x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Surely your wellies are high heeled Gracie 

IMG_3544.jpeg

Oh my goodness! Santa baby, put these under the tree for me :default_biggrin:

We decided not to go to the display, it has not stopped raining and very windy, it would just be so uncomfortable so I've done a deal with the boys, x box and pizza for them and a bottle of Prosecco for me :default_biggrin: :default_winko: x

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Today Marina  and  I  went to Highway, part of Roy's. Lots and lots of Christmas  stuff.Highwas is a garden centre .Shop and cafe .It's close to Loddon. Then we went to the garden  centre  at Salhouse. First time there.Very nice good selection  of crafts,local foods and wines and beers.We had lunch.

Some photos  of Roy's.

20231107_102906.jpg

20231107_102858.jpg

20231107_102850.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 2

20 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Thank you Ian, love it.

Now all the non believers, the bah humbuggers and scrooges are just going to have to accept that Christmas is on it's way and there's nothing they can do about it :default_norty: 

Keep calm, get prepared and it will soon be Easter :default_xmas6: x

Gracie, let me just explain something to you . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . There are twelve days of Christmas and none of them are in bloody November!! :default_norty:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

36 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I've never seen so much.thats perhaps only a quarter of the stuff.And much of which not cheap.

You should go to our local posh garden centre - the prices are horrendous. I had to go there the other day as I needed an old fashioned Advent calendar (no chocolate or goodies) and it's like IKEA/ airport duty-free to get to the tills/out. There are no short cuts!

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

True but we start buying small bits for Christmas. Much earlier  then November  and hopefully  get Christmas  shopping  done by the end of November :default_xmas2::default_xmas3:

Get that Ian, but every advert on the TV now is Christmas related.  I’m 67 years old and Christmas Day has always been on 25th December. I know when it is and am already sick of having it rammed down my throat.

I really feel for those people who have been so badly affected by this current economic crisis, who are struggling to pay their bills.  How must they be feeling, looking at all of this tat in the shops that they can’t afford?

Sadly, Christmas has become a huge marketing occasion and the true meaning of the day has been lost.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Sadly, Christmas has become a huge marketing occasion and the true meaning of the day has been lost.

Very true, just like all the other traditonal events - all annual events (Guy Fawkes, Halloween, Valentines day, Easter etc) now start marketing their goods way before the actual event! In fact it wouldn't surprise me if we see the first Easter egg appear on the shelves in January!!

Chris (Bah Humbug :default_hiding:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Get that Ian, but every advert on the TV now is Christmas related.  I’m 67 years old and Christmas Day has always been on 25th December. I know when it is and am already sick of having it rammed down my throat.

I really feel for those people who have been so badly affected by this current economic crisis, who are struggling to pay their bills.  How must they be feeling, looking at all of this tat in the shops that they can’t afford?

I thought you were too busy decorating to watch TV. Or is it a case of collapsing exhausted in front of the TV each evening after a stressful day of decorating? At least you can look forward to having a lovely Christmas in front of your new wood burner in your beautifully decorated lounge. 
:default_xmas6:

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

I thought you were too busy decorating to watch TV. Or is it a case of collapsing exhausted in front of the TV each evening after a stressful day of decorating?

Got it in one!

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

At least you can look forward to having a lovely Christmas in front of your new wood burner in your beautifully decorated lounge. 
:default_xmas6:

In garden chairs. :default_icon_e_confused:  Sadly, the decision on colours and furnishings meant that by the time we got round to ordering the new suite, the delivery date isn’t until early January!  

• Sad 2

55 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Sadly, the decision on colours and furnishings meant that by the time we got round to ordering the new suite, the delivery date isn’t until early January!  

Not a problem.  By the time it comes  we will all have finished being nice to each other and normality will have been restored.

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Not a problem.  By the time it comes  we will all have finished being nice to each other and normality will have been restored.

I did a ‘giggle’ reaction to that, maybe it should have been a sad reaction though. ‘Nice’ is supposed to be all year long. I guess that’s one thing we can put on our new year resolutions.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

If one is nice all the time, it ceases to be nice and becomes normal. When that happens, nobody knows when one is being nice. Firstly I would like people to realise when I'm being nice, and second, nobody has ever called me "normal".

Why does the phrase "never a truer word spoken in jest" keep springing to mind! :default_eusa_naughty::default_rofl:

• Thanks 2