My Day

LizG

Happy birthday Carole! Spent the day in Norwich with my youngest daughter pretending to be tourists. Last Saturday we were tourists in Cambridge!

50 years or so ago this was my work view minus the pigeon netting! I worked on the first floor of Parton's Jewellers. Today it is a Cafe Nero but the loos are still up some tight winding stairs!

IMG_20240531_113244_884.jpg

IMG_20240531_115740_897.jpg

• Like 5

Well, Tuesday actually, went over to Yarmouth to see Andalucia and called in the Elizabethan House Museum.20240604_110626.thumb.jpg.077776f939866675756347d2ad83bc81.jpg20240604_111309.thumb.jpg.44b7dd1634f99ea86a8f2b63aec52716.jpg20240604_110922.thumb.jpg.6cf09ec41af14cb20210bb0d67094e28.jpg20240604_111129.thumb.jpg.6bf30c496a4334c41f167bf634431194.jpgPhotoGaleon(1).JPG.article-620.jpg.84dbf98f2e5682d7ab8d49a00a517f8c.jpg20240604_113022.thumb.jpg.a4825a37cb25a4a6497149d34e8233df.jpg20240604_113405.thumb.jpg.168aca65e0385be4de1b9cbf82b1b49f.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

My day yesterday: there was a tiny slot in the weather forecast that said little or no rain. When we worked the weather was just the weather but now it seems to dominate all our aticivity, or lack of it! :default_badday:

So we jumped on the train and went to London for the day again and used our Two Together railcard to get two-for-one entry into St Paul's Cathedral. Any of the railcards gets the two-for-one deals if you didn't know and we use them a lot.

St Paul's is magificent, just go there. No pictures as it's all online and mean little unless you are there. It was great to see the memorials to Wellington and Nelson, and both their final resting places in the crypt. We didn't go up to the whispering gallery but we are going to go again sometime to tick that box. What they don't tell you on the website is that there is a small cafe in the crypt selling drinks and prepacked sandwiches, which is handy because it's a big place! 

Then we walked over the Millenium bridge and along to Horniman at Hays, just about level with the bows of HMS Belfast for drinks. A couple of traditional Thames barges caused Tower Bridge to lift, one each way. After drinks we chilled out for a bit around the Beehive and watched the cricket on the big screen. We find walking in the countryside good exercise but in places like London it's quite tiring. I think it's trying to avoid crashing into people on their phones which does it, along with crashing into people on their phones when you can't be bothered to avoid them! 

Around 5 we went back to Horniman for excellent fish and chips while Londoners beat themselves up in rush hour, then back to the Beehive to watch this:

20240612_174443.thumb.jpg.e0add9c84fa518e7bbe40cb0ca6f8abd.jpg

Cruise ship Hamburg, 420 passengers, REVERSING through Tower Bridge! Very impressive even with a tug to help. I showed this pic to the family Whatsapp group and a daughter in law added the caption: Beep, beep, beep,beep....

We have now given up on first class train travel after very inconsistent service. If it were consistent and relaible then it would be worth the money but when it fails then it's just not worth the extra. With drinks and snacks it saves hunting around London for somewhere reasonably priced to get lunch. Yesterday they failed to provide a trolley service at all and no explanation or apology. We've given them a fair try and found sometimes sandwiches are available or not. I guess they rely on business travellers on expenses. This is East Midlands Railway.

• Like 7

At school, we would have an annual service at St Pauls, because although my school moved from Charterhouse Square out to (then rural) Middlesex in 1936, it was still considered the school church.

It was a real logistics feat, moving 600 boys. The Metropolitan Line used to put on a special train to take us from Moor Park Station to Barbican.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SwanR said:

I love St Paul’s Cathedral. Just something about it. You’ve reminded me how much I would like to visit again. 

I just checked the website and saw that the entry fee for St Paul’s is now £25 per person, unless going to worship at a formal service.  It says that their services are free, but ask their sightseeing visitors to ‘contribute a small entrance fee.’

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I just checked the website and saw that the entry fee for St Paul’s is now £25 per person, unless going to worship at a formal service.  It says that their services are free, but ask their sightseeing visitors to ‘contribute a small entrance fee.’

£22.50 for oldies. The two for one system is hard to navigate but you buy one ticket for £25 and get the second for nowt. We don't like paying to get into relegious places but in this case, and Westminster Abbey, we thought it well worth the £12.50 each.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChrisB said:

At school, we would have an annual service at St Pauls, because although my school moved from Charterhouse Square out to (then rural) Middlesex in 1936, it was still considered the school church.

I see memorials to army regiments in these places and I was pleased to see one in St Paul's dedicated to the Middlesex, my Granddad's old regiment.

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

I see memorials to army regiments in these places and I was pleased to see one in St Paul's dedicated to the Middlesex, my Granddad's old regiment.

I seem to remember a song from my days in the Cadets:

"We are the Middlesex, Diehards are we

We'll fight through xxxx and slaughter just to ..."

Although I suspect the words we sung were not quite the official ones :default_blush:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, floydraser said:

WW1? My 1st cousin 2 x removed was 1st Battalion Middlesex Regiment, killed in the first few days of the Somme.

• Sad 2