Sailies-which Way?

johnb

10 minutes ago, addicted said:

I can think of few more pointless exercises than sitting in a sailing boat on a totally windless day going nowhere.

Carole

At four o'clock in the morning, in the company of good friends, listening to Griff's terrible jokes, watching others paddling away, listening to booming bitterns, anticipating a good fry up, just doesn't happen on a stink boat!

Three Rivers 061.JPG

• Like 4

Just now, JennyMorgan said:

At four o'clock in the morning, in the company of good friends, listening to Griff's terrible jokes,

You ought to hear some of Jamie Campbell's jokes when he is sailing. But then I suppose you have, haven't you?

29 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

At four o'clock in the morning, in the company of good friends, listening to Griff's terrible jokes, watching others paddling away, listening to booming bitterns, anticipating a good fry up, just doesn't happen on a stink boat!

Three Rivers 061.JPG

Clearly you've never spent time in the right place with the right people on a motor cruiser, such pleasant times are by no means exclusive to a sailing boat I can assure you. During 3 years of motor cruising we've been in some absolutely beautiful places at all times of the day and night, met some  great people seen some wonderful sights. It's got nothing to do with the craft you're on it's the ethos of being on a river.

Carole

Edited by addicted
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Carol, the  monotonous thump of a tireless diesel versus the grunts from a tired crew working on their paddles, absolutely no comparison! 

Ain't nowt wrong with the old BMC soundtrack its letting u know its still working , but it is  nice to get back to silence usually when iv run out of diesel ( joke !! ) 

That puts me in mind of the 3Rs in obscenity ( ex Mike Barnes Serenity )  I had spent much time on my knees making 6 full English breakfasts on a bun the last to be called down was Bill Speed who came  down turned around and sat down saying where is my breakfast, you can guess of course where it was. He was not at all amused, although everyone else on board found it very droll.

5 hours ago, addicted said:

Clearly you've never spent time in the right place with the right people on a motor cruiser, such pleasant times are by no means exclusive to a sailing boat I can assure you. During 3 years of motor cruising we've been in some absolutely beautiful places at all times of the day and night, met some  great people seen some wonderful sights. It's got nothing to do with the craft you're on it's the ethos of being on a river.

Carole

You might be surprised to know that I have indeed  shared good and often excellent company on various motor boats :default_norty:!

Well I always try to give clear signals and always say thanks. Sailing being what it is, it's sometimes hard to say exactly where you are going next but the effort is always made. 

Him indoors so hates inconveniencing Mobos that we end up motor sailing rather than tacking against the wind. Personally, I think a bit of tacking does no harm at all! :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Polly said:

Well I always try to give clear signals and always say thanks. Sailing being what it is, it's sometimes hard to say exactly where you are going next but the effort is always made. 

Him indoors so hates inconveniencing Mobos that we end up motor sailing rather than tacking against the wind. Personally, I think a bit of tacking does no harm at all! :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

Tell him indoors this mobo enjoys the fun of negotiating his way past a tacking yacht or indeed a group of tacking yachts. I also think the sight of a tacking yacht working their way back and forth on a windy day is a rather nice. 

• Like 2

A group of tacking yachts........are you quite mad Simon? :default_smiley-char054:Seriously though, you can't beat the sight of them and to be moored up ( always best when there are flappy thingies about, I find) you know when one is coming because you can hear their sails gently flapping in the wind, sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it, in a good way though lol, I know I joke but wonderful sights and sounds to see and hear, just not when I'm trying to get past one :default_norty:

Grace

• Like 3

Well as the OP I wasn't expecting such a large response! I have to say that turning up Heigham Sound this week, we met a yacht approaching us. After a quick consultation with the helmsman, a member of the crew gave us a totally clear clear signal where they wanted us to pass. All completed safely with waves from both vessels. That, IMHO is the way it should be. Those on here who suggested pointing to us then the direction we should go get my vote! Thanks everyone for your views.

• Like 6