Hard Ahead, Hard Astern!

JennyMorgan

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Terms like "Brundall Navy", " Brundall Trundle" and "Gin Palace"  are all rather generic and difficult to pin down for an actual definition. Suffice to say that Brundall probably has the greatest concentration of big sea going magnificent craft on the broads.

For as long as any disparaging comments are firmly tongue in cheek (tinged perhaps with a hint of envy) then I'm happy to use the terms.

I remember my mother at the Earl's Court boat show back in the early 80s, looking at one of these 50' Princesses, and saying "Well it's very nice but where do you keep the mop?".

I could be envious, if a Brundall Navy member had one of these: 

SEAWARD%2042%20GA%20040316.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Terms like "Brundall Navy", " Brundall Trundle" and "Gin Palace"  are all rather generic and difficult to pin down for an actual definition. Suffice to say that Brundall probably has the greatest concentration of big sea going magnificent craft on the broads.

For as long as any disparaging comments are firmly tongue in cheek (tinged perhaps with a hint of envy) then I'm happy to use the terms.

I remember my mother at the Earl's Court boat show back in the early 80s, looking at one of these 50' Princesses, and saying "Well it's very nice but where do you keep the mop?".

About 20 years ago I was at the Erlas court Boat Show when Hall 2 was first opened, and on display was the biggest cruiser ever to be on show at a boat show - a Princess something or other priced at over £2.5m

Two blokes were looking upwards in wonder, when one said to the other

" that's a bloody lot of money to slacken a bit of knicker elastic". 

Same could be said for a lot of the 'Brundall Navy' fleet :default_norty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Poppy said:

About 20 years ago I was at the Erlas court Boat Show when Hall 2 was first opened, and on display was the biggest cruiser ever to be on show at a boat show - a Princess something or other priced at over £2.5m

Two blokes were looking upwards in wonder, when one said to the other

" that's a bloody lot of money to slacken a bit of knicker elastic". 

Same could be said for a lot of the 'Brundall Navy' fleet :default_norty:

Pops, Hi............. I thought I was reading from the Jokes section at first!   :default_biggrin:   :default_biggrin:   :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

SEAWARD%2042%20GA%20040316.jpg

Immediately recognisable as a Nelson, before you read the name.

I think you will find that the rangers' launches were built by Nelson.

The Thames has its own version of the Brundall Navy, in Penton Hook Marina. Their owners come down every weekend with important guests from London, for a GT, but they never leave the moorings except for Henley week, when the Penton Hook lock totally disappears in the clouds of white smoke from their engines!

Another breeding ground for the species is, of course, the Hamble River.

A deceased friend of mine had a boat at Penton Hook, the boat was named 'The Penton Hooker', no where near £2.5m though!

Is there a definition for the species? Perhaps folk for whom a boat is just an underused possession, an extravagant toy in the toy box, rather than a way of life.

19 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Is there a definition for the species? Perhaps folk for whom a boat is just an underused possession, an extravagant toy in the toy box, rather than a way of life.

Yes, an average boat owner.  Usually a boat is an underused possession, it is usually an extravagant toy and very rarely is the owner lucky enough for his/her boat to be a "way of life" It's just the degree that's in question.

People do it all the time, they buy 'off road' vehicles yet the only time they drive off road is when they park it on the pavement. They buy cameras with settings for shutter speed priority, aperture priority and just set it on 'Auto'.

It's no good Peter, trying to define these terms just doesn't work.

• Like 1

Going back to the original tread I was faced with a sailing boat on my side of the river ie starboard , so I accommodate him by moving to the middle of the river so we could pass , bear in mind the wind is coming from the port side of my boat , 50-60 feet away he crossed my bow , absolutely no signal as to where he preferred me to be and all I got for me changing coarse yet again was wee wee off !!!! And that was in front of his wife / girlfriend , now I call a spade a spade and trust me if he was prepared to use language like that not knowing I had anyone onboard including children the its gloves off and he got both barrels .

There is no need for this arrogance it doesn't matter which who's got right of way we are all on the river for relaxation and enjoyment , not to cause others agro just because we can , he's heading towards Norwich and there's a good chance of us meeting again and next time , and purely due to his attitude today I may well not be so helpful towards him  .

All sailors are not like this I know that most help motor cruisers with indicating where they would like them be for both party's benefit and I have no problem with that , by the arrogant ones who think the own the river will I recon they need to read the Broads act as its as much their responsibly as mine to avoid collisions .

This is the totally unacceptable side of sailing that we are treated to on a regular basis. There is no justification for it It's just ignorant arrogance and we get sick to death of it. If we never saw another wind botherer again it would be too soon! As you say we are all wanting to use the river for pleasant relaxation and we are entitled to do so.

Carole

Being an ex- sailor I can usually read what someone is trying to do. If I can't and they are messing me about, I give then a toot with the air horn followed by. " Would you make your intentions known please" 

Any smart reply is usually greeted with " you maybe able but I am not a mind reader"

I remember one sailie even having a go at me for getting out of his bloomin way.  You just cant win!

I dont intend offence to any members here but I now initially treat all sailies with equal suspicion until they are safely passed me in the interest of my vessel and crews safety!!  

Whilst the Nelson is a very fine craft my choice would be a designed in Norfolk built in Falmouth Cockwells Duchy. 45 or 60 is too big for a single hander so I would go for the 35.

2016-Duchy-35-brochure-for-web.pdf

Before anyone says it because I asked the Pulpit, Pushpit, Stantions were left off for photographic aesthetics.

29 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

I remember one sailie even having a go at me for getting out of his bloomin way.  You just cant win!

I dont intend offence to any members here but I now initially treat all sailies with equal suspicion until they are safely passed me in the interest of my vessel and crews safety!!  

Perhaps, just perhaps, by getting out of the way you were actually getting in the way. If nothing else you might also have made your intentions less clear, perhaps confusing the situation. As ever there are two sides to every opinion and I wonder what the 'wind botherers' take was on this one. I appreciate that we are governed by the local regulations on the Broads but at sea we are expected to hold our course, that's if we have the right of way, and also to make of intentions clear.  Perhaps something that we should aim for on the Broads.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

Watched one saily on the Yare, using paddles, does that classify them as under power and must obey the craft under power rules?

paul

It does but consider that they might be dodging the tide and a little consideration would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

Being an ex- sailor I can usually read what someone is trying to do. If I can't and they are messing me about, I give then a toot with the air horn followed by. " Would you make your intentions known please" 

Any smart reply is usually greeted with " you maybe able but I am not a mind reader"

That's exactly what I did alert him to my presence ie via the horn and still I got nothing , iv sailed for over 40 yrs  and still do and I do know that power gives way to sail but  there is the taking the pee n that does every sailor who shows respect regardless of if he has right of way  a complete disservice , the clue is in the way he choose to speak about it I front of his wife / girlfriend that is something I don't do , lots of learning and hard lessons taught me that .

JM,  I was sat outside Herne Lodge, Brundall, it was slack water and they came down with a draft of wind turned and nothing.

I don't have a problem with sailies, but when it's calm.

I look on it like fishing, IF I want to sit and do nothing  I sit and do nothing without any possible interuptions.

paul 

• Like 2

I'm sure we all have stories of sailies being arrogant just as every saily has found himself at the mercy of a mobo prat. it happens but we should all remember that these prats on either side of this fence are in the minority.

So good people, chill and remember the old adage "Keep calm and have a beer"   Works for me.  :)

• Thanks 4