Peaceful, Pleasant Mooring? If Only!

addicted

It was the same sort of thing with the business (care home) that was burning the waste near us, the council were on to it almost immediately.

It did take a bit of detective work on my part to pin point exactly where it was coming from as we are in a built up area and there was no visible smoke trail to follow just a very strong smell that got you at the back of the throat.

Then one evening recently I went to my 12 year old sons bedroom to see if he was asleep just after 10pm and he had fallen asleep with his window open and again his room was thick with this burning smell.  I rang the care home (which is about a quarter of a mile away) and asked if they were burning anything as I was trying to pin point the source of it to report to the council.    The answer was no..........and suprise suprise it hasnt happened since!

I suppose I should think its fine that my son might have been being poisoned!! 

• Like 1

I think its time we all calmed down and agreed to disagree in the way we normally do, I can see this is a controversial issue, and one there is probably no right or wrong answer to that we can all agree on. 

I think it all depends upon how we grew up- country- city or whatever, we all have different opinions, so lets leave it there, agree that the bonfire owner was maybe a bit inconsiderate (after all we dont have his side of the story) but definitely should not have gone off and left it unattended, and leave it there before we all get upset more than we are already.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, addicted said:

Lots of thing have gone out of use because modern society recognised that they were flawed.

To be honest, Carole, as a Landscape Archaeologist and sixth generation farming stock, modern society doesn't  have a clue what the countryside 'is' let alone how to manage it. I used to get quite angry with the 'incomers', however, I, like many other of us 'bumpkins', have started to take a weird delight in the endless complaints, petitions, action groups and committees formed to 'stamp out' the country life they moved here to enjoy. Mind you, it took me years to get used to living in a town. I still can't get the hang of tesco being open 24 hours. Please remember I do have an 'odd sense of humour'. :default_norty: What, you Timbo? Never!

My favourites and their outcomes include the petition by a housing estate built on an artificial flood plane several metres below sea level to turn the pumping station off between 6pm and 8am weekdays and all weekends and holidays due to 'noise pollution'. The public meeting they called when the Drainage Board listened to their complaints and then explained what life underwater would be like for them was funny, to say the least.

We had the petition to insist a local farmer stop rotating the crops planted in the fields opposite another new development as the houses backing the field had been painted to match the original crop of flax. That field has now been put back to the original strip farming by the local farmer....it's a riot of different colours every year.

We had the ladies who complained about the testicles of the ram put to 'tup' as they were too large and therefore too obscene for public viewing. The husbands of the ladies bore the good-natured 'ramifications' of that one with good humour. 

The petition to change the sign at 'Pooh Corner' resulted in the sign being changed...for a larger one.

The committee formed to stop the pollarding of willow trees as it destroyed the beauty of the trees, got their way. Oddly the same people now have a committee running to campaign for the willows to be pollarded.

Quite a few years back I received a demand from the 'Hedgerow Action Group' that I stop chopping halfway through saplings in the hedges around the fishery with a 'medieval implement' and bending them at 'odd angles' instead of using a modern 'trimmer'. I invited the 'Action' Group to come and learn how to cut and lay a hedge, but getting hands dirty and learning something was not the kind of 'action' they wanted...apparently.

The most recent complaint being 'rectangular bales' in the fields instead of the 'traditional round bales' now the local farmer has bought a new bailer. We are still trying to fathom if the guy complaining is pulling our leg or if he indeed is worthy of joining the rest of us 'village idiots' sat around the bar. A side note on this one...Uncle Albert was responsible for getting the original round bailing machinery into production, I blame him!

My absolute favourite was the new vicar from inner London who denied the old parish gravedigger a pay rise and suggested he would destroy fewer wildflowers and not take so long to dig a grave if he made the grave slightly smaller. Although the wildflowers that lined the graveside at the next funeral were indeed beautiful, the occasion was somewhat marred by the pallbearers having to jump up and down on the coffin to get it into the hole. Pay rise awarded.

I now live on the edge of a town, but cannot resist going home to catch up with the local yokels. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

9 minutes ago, Timbo said:

To be honest, Carole, as a Landscape Archaeologist and sixth generation farming stock, modern society doesn't  have a clue what the countryside 'is' let alone how to manage it. I used to get quite angry with the 'incomers', however, I, like many other of us 'bumpkins', have started to take a weird delight in the endless complaints, petitions, action groups and committees formed to 'stamp out' the country life they moved here to enjoy. Mind you, it took me years to get used to living in a town. I still can't get the hang of tesco being open 24 hours. Please remember I do have an 'odd sense of humour'. :default_norty: What, you Timbo? Never!

My favourites and their outcomes include the petition by a housing estate built on an artificial flood plane several metres below sea level to turn the pumping station off between 6pm and 8am weekdays and all weekends and holidays due to 'noise pollution'. The public meeting they called when the Drainage Board listened to their complaints and then explained what life underwater would be like for them was funny, to say the least.

We had the petition to insist a local farmer stop rotating the crops planted in the fields opposite another new development as the houses backing the field had been painted to match the original crop of flax. That field has now been put back to the original strip farming by the local farmer....it's a riot of different colours every year.

We had the ladies who complained about the testicles of the ram put to 'tup' as they were too large and therefore too obscene for public viewing. The husbands of the ladies bore the good-natured 'ramifications' of that one with good humour. 

The petition to change the sign at 'Pooh Corner' resulted in the sign being changed...for a larger one.

The committee formed to stop the pollarding of willow trees as it destroyed the beauty of the trees, got their way. Oddly the same people now have a committee running to campaign for the willows to be pollarded.

Quite a few years back I received a demand from the 'Hedgerow Action Group' that I stop chopping halfway through saplings in the hedges around the fishery with a 'medieval implement' and bending them at 'odd angles' instead of using a modern 'trimmer'. I invited the 'Action' Group to come and learn how to cut and lay a hedge, but getting hands dirty and learning something was not the kind of 'action' they wanted...apparently.

The most recent complaint being 'rectangular bales' in the fields instead of the 'traditional round bales' now the local farmer has bought a new bailer. We are still trying to fathom if the guy complaining is pulling our leg or if he indeed is worthy of joining the rest of us 'village idiots' sat around the bar. A side note on this one...Uncle Albert was responsible for getting the original round bailing machinery into production, I blame him!

My absolute favourite was the new vicar from inner London who denied the old parish gravedigger a pay rise and suggested he would destroy fewer wildflowers and not take so long to dig a grave if he made the grave slightly smaller. Although the wildflowers that lined the graveside at the next funeral were indeed beautiful, the occasion was somewhat marred by the pallbearers having to jump up and down on the coffin to get it into the hole. Pay rise awarded.

I now live on the edge of a town, but cannot resist going home to catch up with the local yokels. 

Brilliant simply brilliant .

Just now, Ricardo said:

Brilliant simply brilliant .

As usual Tim your post is hysterical! In truth when I posted my original post it  was never my intention to open such a fierce "can of worms" I was just thoroughly p***ed off at having my little sortee ruined.  And wanted to share my pique. Incidently , I believe that it is  in Denmark that round hay bales are known as tractor eggs!

Carole

• Like 1

Just now, Gracie said:

Cheer up everyone.......soon be Guy Fawkes night :default_norty:

Grace

Dont get me started on fireworks!!!

When we lived up north there was a guy at the end of our garden who used to set off display grade fireworks from his garden each year, must have cost him a fortune!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Our Macie dog - I take her to the local pub fireworks display every year, then with us into the pub for a pint with pie and peas.  She loves the whole evening out

Griff

Ah Griff - How cruel you are - surely she must spend all her time trying to spot the pheasants falling out of the sky, and there are none to fetch - then again thinking about it, maybe she doesnt expect that many to be falling from the sky, with your shooting :default_smiley-taunt014:

• Haha 6

We used to live fairly close to a big exclusive girls' boarding school so could see their impressive display from our house. I once attended a fireworks display held at a boarding school near Woodford in Essex apparently the whole week prior to the event the headmaster had subjected the boys to numerous safety lectures regarding the use of fireworks. Hevwas in charge of the whole event dealing personally with the setting off of all the fireworks. Shortly after the display began a firework went off that was without doubt the most spectacular we  had ever seen. Well it would be really as the idiot had allowed a spark to get into the box and the who!e planned display went off in one go!

Carole

• Like 2

surely she must spend all her time trying to spot the pheasants falling out of the sky,

Actually the first firework display I took her too was at The Bridge Inn at Acle for a New Years event - She did just that!  Since then she has of course figured it out and no longer looks for falling birds, just watches the display.

maybe she doesn't expect that many to be falling from the sky, with your shooting :default_smiley-taunt014:

That cuts deep, I have feelings you know.  Actually with the all year round clay shooting, my hit ratio has improved no end, I can't see me ever getting the aka - 'Bag Filler' - but neither do I ever get accused of firing blanks.  The worst ever experience (And it happens more than I'd ever admit to) is missing a straight high bird that I really should and do hit nine times out of ten, then despite telling mysen not to - looking down at Macie Dog by my side.  The look on her face says it all it's as though she is saying - I could have got that without the use of the gun!  Makes me feel proper admonished not to mentioned somewhat embarrassed, I strongly suspect she goes off and tells the other gundogs what a useless so and so I am too just to rub it in!

Griff

BA NBN 355.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

That's a lovely post Griff and having been brought up around gun dogs I know that you are right in what you say.

I have a question and it is a serious one, without trying to take the p***.

My father, who was known in his day as a very good game shot, never went clay shooting, as he found it gave him the wrong "eye". A clay will leap off the trap and then quite quickly slow down, but a pheasant or partridge, taking off out of the cabbages or sugar beet, will do the opposite. They take off slowly and then accelerate away.

Do you find that this makes a difference?

I have often heard that theory stated by many game shots.  The best game shots on 'Our' shoot take part in clay shooting all year round which blows that theory away, however what works for one may not work for another.  There is so many differing opinions around and everyone think that theirs is the correct one.  Here some more common ones:-  1)  Always use the same gun, never use a different one   2)  Always use the same load of cartridge   3)  Stick to plastic or fibre, do not chop and change.

Me I just do my own thing, I have a sk e e t gun, game gun, and a 20g game gun.  I use cheap 21 or 24g fibre or plastic for clays (Sometimes 28g if they are on a deal)  I prefer fibre wads with regards to the environment, not because they are any faster / slower.  Some state there is a difference in kick between fibre and plastic, I've never noticed it.   Fibre is a must on game shoots where I use 30g or 32g game loads, sometimes I take the 12g and sometimes the 20g.  I can miss my targets as good as any man no matter what gun / load I am using!

The chap that runs our clay shoot states his ball trap - the clays are speeding up after they come off the trap and fly a fair few yards before they reach their terminal velocity and start slowing down.  I believe, him, try as I have I can't better my top score of 21, one day I will straighten the damn thing

Griff

• Like 2

I starting out with a Laeto Diecast Spud Gun with King Edward rounds. Other kids whose Mum's bought ammunition at the supermarket were using 5lb Maris Piper loads. In competition, where others dabbled with 'exotics' like carrot, sugar beet and kohl rabbi, I stuck to swede as it packs a punch. Loading difficulties using swede with the Laeto were improved by sharpening the barrel edge.

I've now moved on to using a 'Guru Incredible Pult' catty. I prefer the non-twist action on the recoil and the new pouch system gives better grouping at distance. Although it does not have the distance of the MDI or Korda 20 or 25mm throwing sticks, it has far better accuracy. This means I can stick a 20mm boilie on the nose end of a teenager, lobbing bait around with a throwing stick, both quickly and accurately. The ability to change the strength of the elastic on the guru means I can switch to dropping maggots on sunbathers with pinpoint accuracy. :default_norty:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 13:01, addicted said:

We used to live fairly close to a big exclusive girls' boarding school so could see their impressive display from our house.

This could definately be taken the wrong way...

• Haha 3

Bonfire night took on a life of its own at Uncle Albert's old place. Back in 1978 one of the scouts from our scout troop was injured by a firework at a bonfire party with his parents in the tiny back garden of his home. The following year Uncle Albert, as Scout Leader, decided that the next year he would organise a 'bonfire' at our house for the scouts to attend with their parents. With over an acre of garden, we had more than enough space.

Uncle Albert was an expert at campfires. Anyone not fortunate enough to have been in the scouts or attended a 'proper' campfire may not know what they are about. A mixture of communal singing and 'stunts' (practical jokes or sketches) the proceedings would begin with the ceremonial lighting of the fire. Uncle Albert, or 'Skip' as he was known to the boys, excelled at 'magically' lighting fires. Wearing his campfire blanket, festooned in scout badges and cloth badges of places he's visited, he'd lead everyone to start praying for fire...in a very theatrical way that would probably see him prosecuted under PC laws these days. Over the years I've had to hide in trees to send meths soaked rags flashing from the heavens to light fires. We've dug trenches under the fire and lined them with plastic pipe to hide a homemade fuse that ignited the fire from inside. He's used magic wands, conjured flames from his bare hands...the dragon was a favourite (a canvas sheet flaps in the trees above making everyone duck and they hear the 'whoosh' of dragon fire (cardboard tube with ignition fluid in it) light the campfire. All smoke and mirrors of course and the end of a year-long planning exercise and several weeks of testing with the local fire brigade.

As the years went by the annual bonfire at Uncle Albert's became a big event. Parents would bring fireworks and Uncle Albert, the local fire brigade and, later on, I would light them safely. Within only a couple of years the numbers of fireworks that people were bringing grew to such a quantity that we would be setting them off for hours. In the end, we asked folks to stop bringing them and instead make a donation to the Scouts which we spent on a professional display and put the rest towards our camping and uniform funds (Uncle Albert, on principle, would not exclude the kids without funds be it for want of a uniform or to attend any of our camps, expeditions or trips.).

Like all good things, the yearly campfire came to an end. When Uncle Albert passed last year I really appreciated the number of people who shared their fond memories of Uncle Albert's campfires. Even the one-time Lord Mayor who was on the receiving end of one of Dad's 'stunts'. Along with two parents, the bald-headed mayor was brought to the front of the audience and all were given a hat to wear. Going to the first parent Uncle Albert would lift the hat and ask the kids 'what shall we call this chap?'.The first chap, and bearing in mind it was different days received a chorus of 'prat head' from the kids. Uncle Albert would replace the hat giving the chap's head a friendly pat. Moving to the second chap he would lift his hat and once again ask the kids. This time the chorus was 'poo head', especially loud and instigated by the chaps young son who had just joined the cubs. Once again the hat was replaced and the head was patted. Finally, it was the mayor's turn. You could see from the expression on his face that he'd ran the computations realising that as the kids warmed to their subject matter he was expecting being called a Richard Cranium only not so politely. The look of relief on his face when the kids replied 'Egg Head' to Uncle Albert's question only lasted seconds as Uncle Albert crammed the hat back on his head and gave it a much firmer pat breaking the half dozen eggs it now contained. It was the reaction of the Lady Mayoress that tickled my funny bone.
"Ooh, he's had that coming for years!"

I do miss a good campfire!

• Like 10

Wowee that is some proper camp firing you had going on there Timbo, I was in the Scouts from Cubs through to Ventures and I thought our leaders(Skip in particular) were pretty awsome but it sounds like Uncle Albert would've had them all licked

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1